Effect of Small or No QE2?

This is a discussion on Effect of Small or No QE2? within the Economic & Fundamental Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; What's the effect of small amounts of quantitative easing, instead of 1 trillion, 500 billion as presumed? I'm thinking short ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:44pm   #1

3 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Effect of Small or No QE2?

What's the effect of small amounts of quantitative easing, instead of 1 trillion, 500 billion as presumed?

I'm thinking short something(?) and long commodities in this scenario. I'd make a case for banks or autos, but they're sitting on plenty of excess reserves. Short municipal and corporate bonds?
Goof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:56pm   #2
Joined Dec 2004
Re: Effect of Small or No QE2?

If the market is "disappointed" by the QE plan - meaning not as much as thought - the dollar will likely rally. At the same time Treasuries, stocks, and commodities will likely sell-off. It's the opposite of what we've been seeing the last few weeks.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:31pm   #3

Joined Mar 2004

Have you thought out who really benefits from QE ?
No ?
Well it's obvious really - the bankers of course

The Govt prints out more and more money for the banks to lend. So the banks make their cut on the loans and bankers make even more on their yearly bonuses of millions.

Just for a change I would like to suggest the Govt prints out the money and gives it to the poor to spend thus stimulating the economy in all directions ( even the banks would benefit )

will they do it ?

Hardly likely the mean s*ds

The bankers must be thoroughly exhausted trying to spend more and more millions chucked at them !! So why not have a little more heart for Christmas " Call-me-Dave" ??
Me
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Atilla
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:41pm   #4

Joined Feb 2009

Your proposal would imply that the govt determines who's worthy, who's "poor" etc. I thought we don't like these sorts of things? Govt meddling in private mkts and that sorta thing?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:57pm   #5

Joined Apr 2010

Would likely just result in rapid inflation anyway as retail sector ups prices to scheme away the extra moolaa off of J Public so wouldn't work without price control too... Comrade lol

Looks like Scose be trollin' 'aaaaard tho... as far as some are concerned!
scose-no-doubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:22pm   #6
Joined Dec 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
Just for a change I would like to suggest the Govt prints out the money and gives it to the poor to spend thus stimulating the economy in all directions ( even the banks would benefit )
We've done this in the States. We sent out tax rebate checks basically to anyone who'd filed their taxes for the previously year. I think the amount was on a sliding scale based on income, with adjustments for kids. Didn't work. Research indicated it mostly went to savings and/or paying down debt. While that has obviously benefits in terms of the overall health of private sector finances, it did not stimulate demand as intended.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:47pm   #7

Joined Mar 2004

PJ O'Rourke's views are interesting and maybe not just comical

He says he votes Republican every time because they have fewer ideas. Even tho he says they are a load of idiots.

That said the clever Dems are even worse, he says. Give every department to the most talented person in that field for a guaranteed c*ck-up.

I think the central core theme of his is to leave the economy well alone - it will look after itself a whole lot better. The tax code book is so complicated nobody understands it. It should be reduced from 10.000 pages to 1.

DONT VOTE IT JUST ENCOURAGES THE B*STARDS is his latest book
Me
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:45pm   #8

3 Posts
Joined Sep 2010

Goof started this thread Good points, Fed will likely print money. I assume you guys mean a short term ralley in the dollar? Can't wrap my head around debasing a currency relative to other currencies, driving up inflation in the US, and not having commodities run up higher in the long term.

Where's the inflation relative to the trillions already printed?

Fed wants to continue purchasing all those MBS's and bonds, from the busted banks and treasury. Banks still believe cash is king in a deflationary environment. Maybe they want to drive down real estate another 20-40% to it's historical trend, and then inflate their way out.

Maybe they purchase some batches of treasuries without printing an equal amount of dollars - sounds moronic but they do own the yield curve. TIPS were sold at a negative yield yesterday. Yields are too low to keep investors buying indefinitely. How would bond prices and yields rise simultaneously?

Fed is going to continue propping up the stock and bond markets, but maybe at a slow monthly rate of QE.

Maybe we're in a deflationary environment with inflation creeping into certain sectors.

Thoughts?
Goof is offline   Reply With Quote