Best offline, daytrading simulator???

This is a discussion on Best offline, daytrading simulator??? within the Discretionary Trading forums, part of the Methods category; What is the best simulator to practice trading at night or on weekends using stored data files? It must offer ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 18, 2005, 1:29am   #1
Joined Jun 2005
Best offline, daytrading simulator???

What is the best simulator to practice trading at night or on weekends using stored data files?

It must offer a graphical/mouse order interface.

It must store a trade log and print/export reports showing profit and loss.

It must be able to start, stop and reverse the replayed data.

It must be able to read ASCII quote files (or some popular format).

The data must be simultaneously viewable in a charting program.

============================================

The requirements above seem reasonable (to me), but none of the products I've studied can do all of them. Notes below, to the best of my knowledge:

Autotrader - does not have a graphical interface

Ninja Trader - offers just a few data files in proprietary Patsystems format requiring Patsystems charting for viewing. No start and stop buttons.

Zeroline Trader - does not have replay features.

Buttontrader - plays files in a proprietary format which does not interface with any charting software.

Bracket Trader - plays back files from Sierra Chart and eSignal. Does not have a reverse feature. Stop button can be slow to respond.

Would appreciate hearing of any product that can do it all!
brooksrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 5:09pm   #2

Joined Aug 2004
Try a google search on neoticker. I think you can rent it for about $50/ month, and I think it gives you tick by tick simulation..

Remember this is hearsay - I've never used the product.
JO
JumpOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:20pm   #3
Joined Nov 2003
try www.tradergames.com play with real money when you learn, start with 20 quid 2hr game. Play with real money is best.dont paper trade. when one paper trades he or she goes off to make a nice cup of tea and a sandwich.then comes back to the screen to see how he or she have done,

Try having a cup of tea and sandwhich when you got 20 or 30 pound a point running on the Dow. I asure you,"You wont feel like eating"

sun
cj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 4:07pm   #4
Joined Feb 2005
try ensignsoftware
features:
Price $39.95 per month
Support and training in chat room
Chat room built in with image viewer
Frequent upgrades available from Internet
Windows 98«, 2000, ME, NT4.0, XP
Internet Explorer 6.0 or later version
Pentium«, 300 MHz, 64 Meg minimum
Free Trading Tips newsletter
PlayBack simulates real-time feed
Simulation Broker for paper trading
E-mail chart images to a list of recipient
http://www.ensignsoftware.com/help/products.htm[B]
ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 1:18pm   #5

1 Posts
Joined May 2005
go ahead, guys...

since i am currently collecting user requirements for a trading training platform using historical data, i would be pleased to read more requirements in this forum.

i try to combine my trading affinity with my programming knowledge with the one of a friend of mine in this project.

i do not know, whether the project will be a success at all (in the sense of a finished - best case: commercial - software product as a result).

however i will give anyone who states his requirements here (before 1st of september) a 100% free version of the outcome - if any. this would not be any "limited trial offer"-stuff, but a 100% free full version of the thing on no cost (neither one time nor recurring - except possibly some external data vendor you might need...)

please do also not hesitate to post things like "i want xy as offered in product zz" or "like the screen in xy, but additionally...".
i know a lot of products out on the market - and just like some of you, i am not fully satisfied with any of these. but i found some nice features myself, i will try to implement in my software.

thanks a lot!
birgmanngeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 1:46pm   #6
Joined Feb 2005
i want
ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 2:23pm   #7

Joined Jul 2004
birgmanngeorg - for me the best thing would be the ability to take historical data in ASCII OHLC .csv format and play it back on a simple charting program at a speed definable by the user (realtime, 2x speed, 3x speed etc.). And the ability to simulate placing orders, with variable lot sizes, simulated fill speeds (2-3 seconds) and simulated slippage depending on speed of price movement.
blackcab is offline   Reply With Quote