Trading morning breakouts

This is a discussion on Trading morning breakouts within the Discretionary Trading forums, part of the Methods category; I notice every so often that a really excited stock can form a handle in pre-market and breakout 50 cents ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:05pm   #1
Joined Nov 2011
Trading morning breakouts

I notice every so often that a really excited stock can form a handle in pre-market and breakout 50 cents to maybe a dollar right after the bell. I'm probably not the first to recognize this pattern, but I'm curious as to why it happens. Anyone have any theory?

It happened today with ZNGA.

Click the image to open in full size.
hedron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:14pm   #2
Joined Sep 2008
Re: Trading morning breakouts

Usually due to some news that's out on the company, either quarterly numbers, or some announcement that could affect the company's earnings. There are several methods based on these types of opening range breakouts. Try asking in this thread. You may get a better response:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trad...ime-sales.html

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:29am   #3

Joined Nov 2010

Even S&P use to have some statistical interest at midnight (check: Strategy images & equity curves) but I think that "morningdip" has lost its meaning. At least some years ago there use to be sort of dip at 8-12 minutes after market open in european markets. I'm not checked it lately or against US markets, any indication any more?
rafla is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:37am   #4
Joined Sep 2008

WTF? Why are my posts getting copied all of a sudden? There's a few of these spammers currently operating here.

Peter

Last edited by Trader333; Apr 6, 2012 at 12:05pm. Reason: Removed quoted reference
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:06pm   #5

Joined Feb 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypete2 View Post
WTF? Why are my posts getting copied all of a sudden? There's a few of these spammers currently operating here.

Peter
haha they either don't like you mate, or it would seem these spammers are a bit thick or unlucky to be picking on you, i don't know which
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:50pm   #6
Joined Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueen View Post
haha they either don't like you mate, or it would seem these spammers are a bit thick or unlucky to be picking on you, i don't know which
Well, I don't like spammers, so if they don't like me then we'll call it even

Peter