Opinions about WD Gann's theories

This is a discussion on Opinions about WD Gann's theories within the Discretionary Trading forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by ajaskey If you draw a trendline of a move and then slide that line to a previous ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:12pm   #25
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaskey
If you draw a trendline of a move and then slide that line to a previous move you will find that it matches almost identically. Also, you will see the the duration of moves are always about the same length or a multiple of that length. You will see the major trends often start when the major trendline from the previous move intersects that line. This is where the concept of price and time squaring out comes from. And it is amazing how often it occurs in markets - and how easy it is to track.
Hi Andy,
Any chance of a chart to illustrate the above, please?
Cheers,
Tim.
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 2:03pm   #26

Joined Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk
Hi Andy,
Any chance of a chart to illustrate the above, please?
Cheers,
Tim.
Sure. The square of the range I used started in Oct 2005 and ended in May 2006. Currently it looks like it will hit 50% retrace in price at 50% time. Anything above 50% in price at 50% in time is bullish. Notice how the previous moves followed the same slope - and how the bold 1:1 diagonals actually were significant before I started watching it like this.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by ajaskey; Aug 6, 2006 at 6:37pm.
ajaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:55am   #27

Joined Jan 2005
Just for fun I took this chart back further. There is nothing new under the sun...

Old Aug 8, 2006, 4:03pm   #28

Joined Sep 2005
Gann's work is an interesting one, some of his teaching I think are a smokescreen for what he really used. Gann angles do work, squaring of price and time also works, and after banging heads with other Gann enthusiasts over at http://www.beginnertrader.com/forum2/ there are some other methods that work to in my opinion, and from experience.

Most people give up on Gann's work due to the work needed in deciphering what is useful and what was just thrown in there for fun, but it is worth it in the end.
Akuma99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 3:29pm   #29

Joined Jan 2005
Some recent squareouts

Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:28am   #30

2 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Hi

I have read Gann's biography. He spend all day and night on the market and had a great feel for it. True to yesteryears' Wall street traders, he never published any of his work. Whatever we have are small excerpts. I think Gann's techniques can work for you if you find a method to use them - no one can teach you that. I personally find that todays markets are too volatile and they are not useful for leveraged short-term trading.

S Ghosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokac
Hi

Being new to the share market, I have been reading books aand learning about the market.
Then I came across a gentleman call WD Gann, who did some remarkable things. I found on the internet lots of people selling his system for a price.
Then a couple of days ago I went to a seminar from a well known Australian firm selling this idea, at a price of course.

I am serious about investing in the market, can somebody tell about WD Gann and if his principles work, or is it just a scam.

Would great appreciate any feedback.
SGhosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:45pm   #31
Joined Apr 2008
Hello laptop1

Are you still trading? Sorry fo the question, but is not easy to meet full-day traders.

Could you share a little bit of your experience, please? For example, could you recommend a software you use...on which market do you trade?

How long it takes to start being confident and become a full-day trader?

As you said Gann isn`t for you - thank you for this opinion.

Regards,
Arek

Quote:
Originally Posted by laptop1 View Post
Only Gann himself new how is methods worked. methodologies are not always easy to define or to analyse.He believed the markets are geometric in design and in function and follow geometric laws. Gann's techniques require that equal time and price intervals be used on the charts. a rise of one price unit over one period of time (1 x 1) will always equal a 45-degree angle. and an ideal balance between time and price exists when prices rise or fall at a 45-degree angle relative to the time axis.

This is called a 1 x 1 angle. each angles provide support and resistance depending on the trend. For example, during an uptrend the 1 x 1 angle tends to provide major support over other angles.Gann spent 10 years researching ancient and contemporary knowledge about how things work before he made his first trades. One component of the simple mathematical principles underlying the Square of Nine can be employed to identify, in advance, potential price and time turning points, which I myself never found.

I studied Gann for 3 years, and found it hard to take in, It looks good when you look back on the chart. but in real time, its vague to say the least. I now use simple price action. I thought years back the more complicated things was the better it would work, But through experience, this is not the case. I now trade full time and trade very simple trading patterns. with correct money management and it seems to work for me,I am not saying Gann don't work,I'm saying I could not master the subject,I no doubt others will make it work.even if they only take 10% of his methods, It could improve your trading.
Arek Okrasa is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote