How many set-ups do you use ?

This is a discussion on How many set-ups do you use ? within the Discretionary Trading forums, part of the Methods category; I have been day-trading NASDAQ stocks for the past 18 months or so and I have considered this period to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:25pm   #1

Joined Aug 2003
How many set-ups do you use ?

I have been day-trading NASDAQ stocks for the past 18 months or so and I have considered this period to be one of education and experimentation.

Thankfully my capital pot today is greater than when I started so I would say that my learning phase has been successful.

I have now been trading profitably on a consistent basis for 6 or 7 weeks so I am at the point where I would say my experimentation and initial education phase is at an end.

It is now time to progress to the next phase of being a serious professional trader and consequently I am now beginning to put together a proper trading / business plan which will incorporate a detailed trading system or method of trading.

Within this trading system I will detail the various set-ups and triggers that I use to enable me to get into a trade.

And there lies what has been my major problem during my “training” phase.

I use many different set-ups - some text book set-ups and others self-devised – together with a maximum of 2 different triggers.

Set-up + Trigger gets me into a trade.

The word “many” is important because I feel that I look for too many potential set-ups when trying to get into a trade and very often I cannot choose between all these set-ups. The result is indecision and missed trades. The price goes steaming off in one direction and I get left behind still trying to decide which set-up I should be looking for.

I would like to get a feel for how many set-ups most traders would generally use or look out for at any one time.

Is it just 1 or 2, 10, 20 or more ?
Salty Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:05pm   #2
Joined Aug 2004
I think I'm in rather a similar position to you, although in my case that difficulties you refer to above (with which I strongly identify) apply even more to _exiting_ from trades. However, to answer your question, I routinely trade about 5 different set-ups.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:35pm   #3
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
For me it depends on the type of trading day we are having, ie trending or non trending. On a trending day I will use no more than 2 setups and on a non trending day I could use maybe 4 or 5.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:42pm   #4

Joined Nov 2004
It's very frustrating to see a market run away from you, leaving you behind. But isn't it better to err on the side of caution? Just remind yourself that there are other markets/other times in which you'll make money. You've been doing well...Don't get too brave. Stay a bit afraid.
gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:12am   #5

Joined Dec 2002
I trade 1 core setup but have 2 other secondary setups to trade as and when I find them.

I do know of many other other setups however like Salty said in his post when I start trying to trade every setup I end up missing most of them.

I scan the whole US market every 2 mins looking for stocks setting up as per my core method and on a good day can find up to 5/6 that setup and on a bad day 1/2.

HTH.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:24am   #6

Joined Aug 2003
Salty Gibbon started this thread Thanks guys. The responses so far would indicate that few is preferable to many.

I am toying with the idea of using 2 or 3 set-ups at a time but changing them during the trading day as the different phases of the US trading day unfold.

For example I would define the different phases as follows :-

Opening phase.........2.30pm to 3.00pm
Afternoon phase........3.00pm to 5.00pm
Evening phase...........7.00pm to 9.00pm

The market often displays consistently different characteristics during each of these phases which may require differing set-ups.
Salty Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:55am   #7
Joined Jul 2003
Salty, pleased to hear of your positive results. A bit surprised the trading system formalisation is happening now AFTER the event rather than as a prerequisite to successfully trading. Luck has obviously been on your side and long may it continue.

As regards setups, similar (but opposite!) to Trader333. A trending market has me looking for 6 primary setups. Non-trending I'll be looking for just 2. I'll also specifically limit the number of stocks I'm 'interested' in on a trend day if a lot of setups are 'primed' - I like to keep the 'load' balanced. However, I'm always researching so this number is not static.

I'd agree with the intent of your summary above though - I prefer fewer to more numerous setups. Simply because they're (for me) mostly visual/numeric. The sort of things I use for my criteria are not easy (or even possible for the most part) to code into scanners and I have VERY limited brain power at my disposal...

As for phases - I only trade 60-120 mins after the first 30 mins and the last 60 mins.
TheBramble is offline   Reply With Quote