Yahoo Finance UK

This is a discussion on Yahoo Finance UK within the Data Feeds forums, part of the Methods category; Yahoo UK is my homepage and I have had a couple of problems accessing it in the last week but ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 12, 2004, 2:01pm   #31
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Yahoo UK is my homepage and I have had a couple of problems accessing it in the last week but not for long and it seems fine most of the time. The finance page has loaded fine as attached.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
yahoo-uk.png  
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 2:03pm   #32
Joined Sep 2003
Orion started this thread Just to confirm..... my problems also started on Thursday although my pal, who runs a similar computer system but using NTL, hasn't yet had a problem. I run W2K Pro, IE 6 SP1, AOL Broadband Vsn 8 and am located in Surrey. He is in Hampshire.

I have just phoned AOL dial-up helpline to reinforce bracke's report and yet again phoned the AOL Broadband helpline to chivvy them up also. That now makes 4 reports I've made to them.

I tried reverting back to IE5.5 but that didn't work. BT dial-up and IE also doesn't work. The only workaround I can see for the moment is using AOL's browser, as I've already said.

Please everyone, keep bombarding AOL helpline with reports.

Thought - I hope this isn't anything to do with the SS Fuhrer virus attack.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 8:56am   #33
Joined Dec 2003
Trader333

Is your isp aol? - I suspect that it isn't as the problem appears to be with aol users.

Regards

bracke
bracke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 9:04am   #34
Joined Sep 2003
Orion started this thread Bracke

Please see my post of 02.03 pm yesterday. I am with AOL (B/band) but have also failed to access Yahoo UK Finance when using BT dial-up.

And can anyone find a way to contact Yahoo? I've searched their sites but can not find an e-mail address or a phone number.

Help, please!!!!!!
Old Apr 13, 2004, 9:07am   #35

Joined Feb 2003
Is this the site?
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/
I'm on BT ISDN with Eclipse using IE6
Old Apr 13, 2004, 9:16am   #36
Joined Dec 2003
Orion

When you say bt dial up do you mean that bt.com is/was your email provider or do you have bt as another isp provider?

Oatman

Interesting - I clicked on the link that you provide but could not gain access, just the same problem as I have already

Regards

bracke
Old Apr 13, 2004, 9:18am   #37

Joined Feb 2003
That's weird, what do you see? Have you checked your Internet settings?
Old Apr 13, 2004, 9:30am   #38
Joined Sep 2003
Orion started this thread Oatman

Yes, that's the site.

In your response to Bracke mentioning Internet Settings, specifically which settings do you mean? What settings could I be checking?

Bracke

I do have e-mail facilities with ISPs such as BT but they are not my main ones. Why should the e-mail provider make any difference?
Old Apr 13, 2004, 9:34am   #39

Joined Feb 2003
I was thinking along the lines of setting security to default.
By chance, I was just reading Langa and some guy has trouble reaching a web site. This may give you something to work on.
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-04-12.htm#7
Old Apr 13, 2004, 9:43am   #40
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
I have just done some checks and it is interesting what is happening I use NTL broadband but I also have AOL as a dial up backup so I tried using both and this is what I have found:

1) If you dial up on AOL and try to access Yahoo UK via AOL then it is fine as shown in the attached screenshot.

2) If you dial up on AOL and try to use Internet Explorer to access Yahoo UK then you cant but you can still get Yahoo.com

It would seem that it is to do with Internet Explorer being used via AOL that is the problem. If I use my broadband connection (NTL) then I can access Yahoo UK with Internet Explorer no problem.

This is certainly a strange set of circumstances but at least it should have narrowed things down a little.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
aol-yahoo.png  
Old Apr 13, 2004, 9:46am   #41
Joined Dec 2003
Oatman

My computer trys to gain access, says done but it is a blank page then the screen comes up - can not access that page.

I have not changed any of my internet settings to cause the problem, they appear ok.

Orion

The isp is the company you pay for accessing the internet - mine is aol. At one time is was bt I moved to aol but my email address was still with bt. However about 3 weeks ago bt informed me that my email address would now be accessed through yahoo but that the address would stay the same. That worked ok until last thursday when I could not access yahoo through Explorer I can access yahoo through aol but I cannot get into my email address.

Regards

bracke
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:15am   #42
Joined Apr 2003
I can more or less confirm T333's findings. I have AOL as my isp and can access the offending yahoo page using AOL's browser but not if I use IE, yet I can access all other pages on the web using IE. I am using IE as I write this not the AOL browser.

Just checking and I don't seem able to access any of the UK/EU sections of yahoo, can get Oz/NZ, US, HK though. UK/EU I can get via AOL browser.
eminem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:16am   #43
Joined Dec 2003
I have managed to get into my email address. For anyone in the same situation open aol and in the address box enter www.bt.yahoo.com/mail then enter your full email address ie. xxx@btinternet.com and your password.

So I can get into yahoo.co.uk using aol and also my email adress in the same way but cannot do so using Internet Explorer.

It would be interesting to know if the problem is a national one with aol customers using explorer to access the internet, if so it must surely only be a matter of time before aol take action to correct the problem - I hope!

Regards

bracke
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:34am   #44

Joined Feb 2003
This stinks of AOhelL taking over and blanking IE.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:59am   #45

Joined Jan 2003
oatman,

Quote:
This stinks of AOhelL taking over and blanking IE.
I would agree if it were not just one site and a recent problem. I have had issues like this before that seemed to sort themselves out over time.

Paul