Live (or almost) stock prices in Excel?

This is a discussion on Live (or almost) stock prices in Excel? within the Data Feeds forums, part of the Methods category; It should be the easiest thing in the world IMO, but in the years I've traded stocks and wanted to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:57am   #1
Joined Sep 2016
Live (or almost) stock prices in Excel?

It should be the easiest thing in the world IMO, but in the years I've traded stocks and wanted to follow the value of my stocks, making graphs etc., getting the data into excel has been a pain. For years I used Data Connection function, had to set up each individual stock and it took forever to update. Later I used the MSN Money function where I can get all stock prices updated at once, I think 15 min delayed. And that worked fine (except my GM stock sometimes pulled the price for other stocks with similar initials/names) until mid July. They write.:"We are improving the way that stock quotes are delivered to MSN Money users. Unfortunately, this means we are no longer able to provide financial market information to you in this format.".

Funny how companies get PR people to create their messaging, calling a major annoyance/disruption an improvement. How stupid do they think we are?! Offending.

So...does anybody have a good solution for this? I'd like a sheet that clicking a button/macro in the sheet updates with all the latest stock prices (15 min delay is OK), and it has to be able to pull stock from both US, UK, GE and my country Denmark, e.g. Novo (Novo Nordisk A/S (NOVO-B.CO)).
No Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:46pm   #2
Joined Jul 2010
https://marketxls.com/ or www.interactivebrokers.com for free.
Trading Spaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:02pm   #3
Joined Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
Funny how companies get PR people to create their messaging, calling a major annoyance/disruption an improvement. How stupid do they think we are?! Offending.
Get used to it. This is the way all companies operate now. Tell the customers how getting screwed is a great improvement over not getting screwed.

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:29am   #4
Joined Sep 2016
No Quarter started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trading Spaces View Post
Sorry, but can't see it. Marketxls wants money I think and on interactivebrokers I can't find anything about excel download, and they want money
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:25am   #5
Joined Sep 2016
No Quarter started this thread For now I've solved with a not so good solution. More cumbersome. In Google Finance, I have My Portfolio with my stock. All except Norwegian Jinhui that I can't find. There's a download to spreadsheet function that I copy paste from, and some text juggling functions.

So nowhere as good as MSN, hope they get it back.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:41pm   #6
Joined Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
Sorry, but can't see it. Marketxls wants money I think and on interactivebrokers I can't find anything about excel download, and they want money

Interactive brokers have an excel dde api. It is free you just have to fund an account. You could try the free demo account before funding it.

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=1062
Trading Spaces is offline   Reply With Quote