Affordable Delayed Data Feed From Web Service

This is a discussion on Affordable Delayed Data Feed From Web Service within the Data Feeds forums, part of the Methods category; Hi, I've been searching around for the past 2 hours, and cannot seem to find an answer. I'm looking for ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:34pm   #1
Joined Nov 2011
Exclamation Affordable Delayed Data Feed From Web Service

Hi,

I've been searching around for the past 2 hours, and cannot seem to find an answer. I'm looking for an affordable delayed (15-30min) data feed that is available over the Internet. I don't want to be tied to a proprietary native API (ie no Windows libraries that have to be downloaded).

Also I need something that exposes its data in a format that's easily consumable by an application, like XML, JSON, etc.

Thanks!
JDuPreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:27pm   #2
Joined Jul 2010
Re: Affordable Delayed Data Feed From Web Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDuPreez View Post
Hi,

I've been searching around for the past 2 hours, and cannot seem to find an answer. I'm looking for an affordable delayed (15-30min) data feed that is available over the Internet. I don't want to be tied to a proprietary native API (ie no Windows libraries that have to be downloaded).

Also I need something that exposes its data in a format that's easily consumable by an application, like XML, JSON, etc.

Thanks!
esignal on demand
Trading Spaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:47pm   #3
Joined Nov 2011

JDuPreez started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trading Spaces View Post
esignal on demand
Clearly I'm missing something. I've researched eSignal On Demand before I posted my question. I cannot seem to find any info on how their data will be accessed without using their Windows application.

Can you maybe clarify how I will access the info in an open format over the Internet?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:32pm   #4
Joined Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDuPreez View Post
Clearly I'm missing something. I've researched eSignal On Demand before I posted my question. I cannot seem to find any info on how their data will be accessed without using their Windows application.

Can you maybe clarify how I will access the info in an open format over the Internet?
Www.iqfeed.net
Trading Spaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:01am   #5

Joined Mar 2004

What periodicity do you seek? (tick feed, 1 min, 5 min, daily etc.)
Which markets?
Do you want a delayed streaming service of ALL symbols or just a subset?
Or do you just want to be able to query-on-demand a symbol at a time?
RichardDale is offline Data vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:41pm   #6
Joined Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardDale View Post
What periodicity do you seek? (tick feed, 1 min, 5 min, daily etc.)
Which markets?
Do you want a delayed streaming service of ALL symbols or just a subset?
Or do you just want to be able to query-on-demand a symbol at a time?
Thank you for your reply Richard.

Periodicity would be daily: Close, High, Low, Volume, Open, etc, but for the current day I'd like to get the last traded price info, about 20min delayed. Typically what you'll find from Google Finance, Yahoo Finance and FT.com. The only thing is that I require a proper API to work with so that I can navigate my way through the info. For example, I'd like to drill down to NYSE energy companies & query each one at a time, or get them in one go.

Markets: I'm willing to adjust my markets to whatever a well designed web API provides. But it would be huge plus if I can get Johannesburg & Singapore Stocks.

> Do you want a delayed streaming service of ALL symbols or just a subset?
> Or do you just want to be able to query-on-demand a symbol at a time?

I'm flexible in this regard. A streaming service of ALL symbols might be overkill, so a subset is preferable. Querying a symbol at a time is also fine, IF there's a good way to discover symbols. In other words, if I'm querying a symbol at a time, I have to be able to first get a list of say NYSE energy utilities, and then query each one at a time to get it's data.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:53pm   #7
Joined Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trading Spaces View Post
Thank you Trading Spaces. IQFeed comes close to what I'm looking for, but it still requires a very basic Windows exe to be installed for some COM based TCP/sockets access... or am I wrong?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 6:24am   #8

Joined Mar 2004

Since you want daily data progressively updated intraday, you'll also need to define the frequency of updates?

i.e. do you simply want to query it on-demand and how many securities per minute would you need etc.

if you want a subset of securities coming down, how many do you need any how often do you want them updated? eg. 500 symbols, updated once a minute. eg. 500 symbols, updated every tick.

eSignal Pro allows streaming capability too and an API is available.

There's quite a few on-demand web-based data providers - QuoteMedia, Markit etc.

The windows API solutions are aimed at the advanced trader. However, you get far more superior capability when you look at institutional feeds such as nxCore.
RichardDale is offline Data vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:54pm   #9
Joined Nov 2011

Quote:
Since you want daily data progressively updated intraday, you'll also need to define the frequency of updates?

i.e. do you simply want to query it on-demand and how many securities per minute would you need etc.

if you want a subset of securities coming down, how many do you need any how often do you want them updated? eg. 500 symbols, updated once a minute. eg. 500 symbols, updated every tick.

eSignal Pro allows streaming capability too and an API is available.

There's quite a few on-demand web-based data providers - QuoteMedia, Markit etc.
Thank you for your help. As I mentioned twice, an update up to 30mins is sufficient.

To be honest, at this stage I have no idea how many securities I will be using. At this stage I estimate around a hundred, or the number that makes up your average index. But I'm not sure. The JSE has about 50 or so SSFs, so those are ones might be tracking. So you can say 100 symbols, every 20mins will be sufficient.

I'll take a another look at eSingal Pro. Their product seems well priced. Although, I prefer web based data providers, as long as the historic data is 100% accurate. In other words, I can live with intraday data not being 100% accurate or up-to-date, but end-of-day/historic data must be 100%.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:17pm   #10
Joined Nov 2011

Quote:
Since you want daily data progressively updated
I checked out QuoteMedia & Markit, and QuoteMedia has exactly the products I'm looking for: QuoteMedia - Content Solutions - XML Data Services - Intraday XML

and

QuoteMedia - Content Solutions - XML Data Services - Quotes Data XML

You mentioned that there's quite a few of these on-demand providers. Do you know of any other ones beside QuoteMedia & Markit? I'd like to investigate them all, although I'm busy contacting QuoteMedia as I write this.

Thank you for this info.