ADVFN UK - be aware!

This is a discussion on ADVFN UK - be aware! within the Data Feeds forums, part of the Methods category; Best idea is stay well away from these crooks. That Clem Chambers has done this scam for years, I remember ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:53pm   #33
Joined Jul 2009
Re: ADVFN UK - be aware!

Best idea is stay well away from these crooks. That Clem Chambers has done this scam for years, I remember this going on in 2001, people had to cancel their credit cards to stop the Direct Debits. To some of us that's impossible, but most customers end up paying for at least one month more than they wanted to, and you add that up and you will see why Chambers is a lard @rse with no morals.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:27pm   #34
Joined Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Seeker View Post
Best idea is stay well away from these crooks. That Clem Chambers has done this scam for years, I remember this going on in 2001, people had to cancel their credit cards to stop the Direct Debits. To some of us that's impossible, but most customers end up paying for at least one month more than they wanted to, and you add that up and you will see why Chambers is a lard @rse with no morals.
Have to say, I had absolutely no trouble with them...I did send mine recorded in fairness and would of course advise you do likewise to avoid any such hassle
tonster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:58am   #35
Joined Oct 2005

There is no doubt ADVFN are slimey when it comes to cancellations via snail mail.
Saying that, when comparing services for like for like with Moneyam, Digitallook and III.co.uk - they do tend have better tools for those trading. i.e bid-offer spread charts, better top lists, combined LSE +PLUS trades, faster streaming news comparable to Reuters or Bloomberg (though the formatting is crap and their Dow Jones feed is full of generic US news crap also), better watchlist, etc
trillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 8:54pm   #36

1 Posts
Joined May 2012

As a new and very novice investor, I was about to ask about alternatives to ADVFN.
From trillionaire's comment I guess they are the best ?
Appreciate if anybody to suggest competent alternatives.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
adclon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:03am   #37
Joined Jan 2011

still in there t and c's to WRITE IN 30 days notice, how sneaky!!!!

Downgrade/cancel your subscription

14. TERMINATION : This agreement will continue unless terminated in accordance with the following provisions. You may terminate your monthly agreement by giving ADVFN not less than 30 days written notice from your next monthly renewal date. You may terminate your annual agreement by giving ADVFN not less than 30 days written notice before your next annual renewal date (see address below for contact details) and ADVFN may do the same.
romski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:19am   #38

2 Posts
Joined Feb 2013

I had a bad experience with ADVFN. I tried to get a trial subscription and despite the screen showing me the next billing date would be a month later, I was billed straight away.

I sent them several emails asking for immediate cancellation of this account being within the seven day cancellation period. Since it was during the weekend, I called them on the Monday and the person there said he could either cancel it or convert it to a trail subscription- I chose the trial subscription.

To my indignation and annoyance, when it was due to run out, I called up ADVFN and they told me it was a paid subscription NOT TRIAL. They denied speaking to me though I have the name of the person and the time of the call.

THIS IS CHEATING AND FRAUD.

I have never ever before had such an awful experience with any other seller before - VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. I will never deal with them.

ADVFN uses the trial subscription as an opportunity to cheat its customers.

Other similar sites such as MoneyAM and DigitalLook are far more professional.
2investor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:21am   #39

2 Posts
Joined Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by adclon View Post
As a new and very novice investor, I was about to ask about alternatives to ADVFN.
From trillionaire's comment I guess they are the best ?
Appreciate if anybody to suggest competent alternatives.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
1)Morning Star
2) Digital Look
3)Money AM
4)INteractive Investor

SOme of these specially Morning STar offers far better features than ADVFN in my opinion. Hope this helps
2investor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:53am   #40
Joined Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaic View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm quite annoyed with ADVFN. I went for the 30 day free trial, which I forgot to cancel. Anyway, I decided that I was going to stay with them longer, but I wanted to know how to unsubscribe because I couldn't find the information throughout the website. I sent an e-mail asking how to cancel my subscriptionand this is the reply I received:

Thank you for contacting ADVFN Support

To cancel your ADVFN account you need to send your written consent via the postal system. ADVFN do require 30 days notice on all cancellations or downgrades. Please include your Username as part of this letter and address it as follows.

ADVFN PLC
Subs Dept
26 Throgmorton St
London
EC2N 2AN

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards

Support Team
ADVFN Plc

I think this is ridiculous. Now I definitely decided to unsubscribe. I think this kind of business policy is awful. They've just lost a possible yearly subscription because they are greedy to get a free month when you decide to leave.

Good luck with your trading,

A quite angry Silvia.
A quite angry Silvia please calm down
Yes, I find that’s usually the case with these ‘free month’ subscriptions!

I had the same with Spotify…

Depending on what you were subscribing to, there a lots of trading companies who provide most of the research/data that are provided by ADVFN for free, and most do not charge.

I assume this is because they think you’ll trade with them, which you may or may not decide to do! Ah well, you know what they say about gift horses.
CityMasterTrader is offline   Reply With Quote