ADVFN UK - be aware!

This is a discussion on ADVFN UK - be aware! within the Data Feeds forums, part of the Methods category; Hello everyone, Has anyone tried to downgrade/cancel their subscription to ADVFN? The link doesn't work, and after some investigation, I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 24, 2007, 5:29pm   #17

2 Posts
Joined May 2003
Hello everyone,
Has anyone tried to downgrade/cancel their subscription to ADVFN?
The link doesn't work, and after some investigation, I found you have to give them 30 days written (posted) notice.
reading on this board, there are loads of complaints about ADVFN's unsubscription policy,
and several comments of, "we didn't receive your unsubscribe letter". Funny how easy it is to upgrade...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I telephoned ADVFN and spoke to the Accounts Department a short while ago

The chap at ADVFN told me to write to them to unsubscribe.
I said I've read loads of reports about letters "going missing" and he just "laughed".
I asked him why can I subscribe with a few clicks, but need to go through this rigmarole to unsubscribe",
he told me I should have read the T's & C's. When I told him I'm going to cancel my card to
stop ADVFN stealing any more money from me, he laughed. ****ING LAUGHED...THEN HUNG UP ON ME

My card is being cancelled right now
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:23pm   #18

Joined Jun 2006
what about the quality of data they supply?
I used their screener for US stocks for a while. Considered it was free, I shouldn't complain. But If I'd get the same quality data after subscribing - what the point then? And there isn't any indication that US Screener is different if payed for.

It kept giving non-existent companies in every scan. Then I have realised that "last trade date" will show some date in the past on these sort of companies. It is not easy to filter them out automatically.
Help on search criteria is organised as Excel file which is always broken. Some obvious criteria are missing (like "last day % change") for the reason that given that some premium services can be reproduced easily for free. So it is big, incomplete, badly documented, with a lot of garbage. And so on and so on. Working with their screener leaves a felling of something dirty and half-broken all the time.
Is it worth paying for?
egro1egro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 8:37am   #19
Joined Oct 2008
Re: ADVFN UK - be aware!

Advfn are complete rip off merchants - You can open an account online - upgrade on line - No problem - To cancel you must write - I have now sent 3 letters and a copy by email - they still won't acknowledge receipt.

Do not use them - they are deceitful to say the least.

W
wilczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:08am   #20
Joined Dec 2003

Amazing the contempt that some of these companies have for their clients. The sad thing is you can imagine the meeting when they devise the best way to screw the customer.

This is why it's now so important to read the T&Cs when you sign up for any subscription and anything which doesn't look right or is overly complex probably means the company in question can't be trusted and their business model is based around taking their clients for mugs.

Dump ADFN is all I say and go with http://www.google.co.uk/finance
anley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:18am   #21
Joined Oct 2008

Couldn't agree more - It's the "dumping" bit which is difficult - as anyone who has experienced it will agree. Complete underhandedness from a "respected" company - Yeah right !

Prices can be found elsewhere - feed is usually better - and there are plenty of other forums out there that are better.

W
wilczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 1:29pm   #22
Joined Jan 2009

Totally agree.

Wrote to cancel in June, still taking my money.

Another letter this time recorded del and asking for refund - don't hold out much hope of that.

Have also spoken to credit card co to get them to help. They were very helpful.

I've had enough of being ripped off by companies and I'll never use ADVFN again!

banny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:49pm   #23
Joined Oct 2005

Old thread resurrected.

Sent my letter and 3 days later got my email confirming cancellation - may be things have changed or may be I told a porkie in the letter, saying I was emigrating and all cards would soon not be operational.
trillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:45pm   #24
Joined Dec 2010

yep had that problem too robbing gits tht was 2 yrs ago
welshguy121 is offline   Reply With Quote