Fear of missing out

This is a discussion on Fear of missing out within the Cryptocurrencies forums, part of the Markets category; brewski1984 Are you spread betting it? Brumby What is your trade plan on bitcoin? As yet I have no plan ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:57am   #61
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
brewski1984 Are you spread betting it?

Brumby What is your trade plan on bitcoin?

As yet I have no plan but I have dabbled in trading BTCUSD @ etx, very small stakes mind.

However, last night I had a meeting with my developer and another friend who is senior in computer networks etc. They know a great deal more than I do about how all this stuff works, but either way, we all came to the conclusion that cryptos are far from mainstream and have much further to go. One conclusion we arrived at was that new issues initially are the easiest and cheapest to mine in decent quantities and although they have little to no value currently, they could have significant value in the future. (Bitcoin started of in cents). So we have more or less decided that some seed capital invested in fairly low tec mining equipment is justifiable. We aim to get going on the mining of new issues in the next couple of months.

We won't be mining Bitcoin or any other cryptos which require the latest tech and vast amounts of power etc, as the cost and length of time required make it unproductive and prohibitive. The interesting thing here is that in order for the ledger to be maintained, there have to be miners who are adequately compensated for their efforts and to cover costs. This all but ensures that cryptos are a One way bet as the difficulty in mining gets progressively harder.

Have a think about that!

Further meetings planned to look at other aspects of interest.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:53am   #62

Joined Jan 2006
Bubble up! Dotcom all over again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski1984 View Post
Out of curiosity, do you think you've missed the bubble due to not getting in before the average joe or do you think it's now too high to buy/going to pop?
Almost by definition it is not really a bubble until the average Joe is getting in. BTW, even though Bitcoin is still going up and might even go all the way up to $100K it still means it is a bubble.

The whole idea of speculating on something like Bitcoin is to get in early and make 100,000% gain or more - i.e. Risk a few pennies to make $1000’s. Anybody who thinks risking $10,000 for 1000% gain means it isn’t a bubble just doesn’t get it. You have opportunities like that almost every day in the stock market. There are plenty of penny stocks (or penny dreadfuls as they are known) that you can speculate on in the hope of making 1000%. I just closed half a position on a stock that returned a 500% gain and it was far from a risky venture. It was a quality stock that had just been oversold in a panic.

This so reminds me of the dotcom bubble...If Bitcoin is still around in 5 years time and above its current price ($11K) then I will concede I was wrong about it.

CLICK - My Trading Journal
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:00am   #63

Joined Mar 2004
Reminds me of a watering hole in Africa. Hungry lions all around and crocs in the water.

for quality of life.

The Westcountry is being overrun with
grotty new estates
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:09am   #64

6 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
seak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
What is your trade plan on bitcoin?
Love this guys writing!!

http://www.mauldineconomics.com/the-...e-grasshopper#
seak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:23am   #65

Joined Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
Reminds me of a watering hole in Africa. Hungry lions all around and crocs in the water.
Beware the crypto mining crooks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41469232

for quality of life.

grotty new estates
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:17pm   #66
Joined Sep 2010
brewski1984 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post

We won't be mining Bitcoin or any other cryptos which require the latest tech and vast amounts of power etc, as the cost and length of time required make it unproductive and prohibitive. The interesting thing here is that in order for the ledger to be maintained, there have to be miners who are adequately compensated for their efforts and to cover costs. This all but ensures that cryptos are a One way bet as the difficulty in mining gets progressively harder.

Have a think about that!

Further meetings planned to look at other aspects of interest.
Might be a stupid question but if the cryptos you are planning to mine are only cents each, would it not be more efficient to spend the few hundred quid you would be spending on equipment/electric buying up lots of different cryptos in the hope that one takes off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_trader View Post
Almost by definition it is not really a bubble until the average Joe is getting in. BTW, even though Bitcoin is still going up and might even go all the way up to $100K it still means it is a bubble.

The whole idea of speculating on something like Bitcoin is to get in early and make 100,000% gain or more - i.e. Risk a few pennies to make $1000ís. Anybody who thinks risking $10,000 for 1000% gain means it isnít a bubble just doesnít get it. You have opportunities like that almost every day in the stock market. There are plenty of penny stocks (or penny dreadfuls as they are known) that you can speculate on in the hope of making 1000%. I just closed half a position on a stock that returned a 500% gain and it was far from a risky venture. It was a quality stock that had just been oversold in a panic.

This so reminds me of the dotcom bubble...If Bitcoin is still around in 5 years time and above its current price ($11K) then I will concede I was wrong about it.
So you've missed it because the price and therefore risk is now too high and there are better opportunities elsewhere. Have you ruled Bitcoin out as an opportunity entirely?
brewski1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:26pm   #67
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski1984 View Post
Might be a stupid question but if the cryptos you are planning to mine are only cents each, would it not be more efficient to spend the few hundred quid you would be spending on equipment/electric buying up lots of different cryptos in the hope that one takes off?
Mining is only One aspect we will cover, but you are right, purchasing other lots and spreading it wide will be another strat. Not just any old junk though, we will need to weed out obvious junk, scams, and ideas that have no need for blockchain tech. Probably a discussion for the next meet.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:16am   #68
Joined May 2012
Quote:
However, last night I had a meeting with my developer and another friend who is senior in computer networks etc. They know a great deal more than I do about how all this stuff works, but either way, we all came to the conclusion that cryptos are far from mainstream and have much further to go. One conclusion we arrived at was that new issues initially are the easiest and cheapest to mine in decent quantities and although they have little to no value currently, they could have significant value in the future. (Bitcoin started of in cents). So we have more or less decided that some seed capital invested in fairly low tec mining equipment is justifiable. We aim to get going on the mining of new issues in the next couple of months.

My impression is that the business of mining in the more established crypto currencies is at best marginally profitable.

I would be interested in your determination as you explore the feasibility of the newer start ups. All the best.

Those who know do not speak
Those who speak do not know
Since I have spoken, I do not know
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:51am   #69
FXX
Joined Oct 2017
Bitcoin: UK and EU plan crackdown amid crime and tax evasion fears

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ders-anonymity

there goes half the liquidity
FXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:06am   #70

Joined Mar 2004
Thought the authorities couldn't resist getting their sticky fingers onto the cryptos.

for quality of life.

grotty new estates
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:30pm   #71

Joined Jul 2017
[QUOTE=counter_violent;2993478The interesting thing here is that in order for the ledger to be maintained, there have to be miners who are adequately compensated for their efforts and to cover costs.[/QUOTE]

Good morning to you Sir, I am surprised you are just discovering this very important part of the block chain technology, this also the main reason why you won't see any mainstream major implementation soon... A ledger could be GBs in size, so it can become very expensive for the miner to maintain it...

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:46pm   #72
Joined Sep 2017
Quote:
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/

All the naysayers have missed out again I see

Bubble talk and cryptos are just in their infancy. 15k here we come.

You have no trade plan for it, but yet you say people missed out...?
This is a very reckless comment and one I am surprised to see coming from a T2W mod. It would be something i'd expect a naive trader to say.

I am one of the average joe's and I hear conversations from other Joe's about Bitcoin.
If the crash is just waiting on the average joe's to jump in, then strap yourself in because it's already started
Education is the passport to the future! He who prepares today, owns tomorrow! But remember, Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:22am   #73

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowler View Post
You have no trade plan for it, but yet you say people missed out...?
This is a very reckless comment and one I am surprised to see coming from a T2W mod. It would be something i'd expect a naive trader to say.

I am one of the average joe's and I hear conversations from other Joe's about Bitcoin.
If the crash is just waiting on the average joe's to jump in, then strap yourself in because it's already started
People like you are living in denial. You know perfectly well that crypto's are unstoppable and here to stay. None of us knows how the story will unfold and yet you see fit to condemn my take on it. Unbelievable.

So, save your fake outrage for an audience that gives a fig, cos I don't.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:31am   #74
Joined Sep 2010
brewski1984 started this thread Iím still undecided, the risk with Bitcoin is too high for me to get involved but the feeling I could be missing out on something big just wont go away!

Iím too scared to actually open one of these wallets and actually buy Bitcoin because all I can think about is getting ripped off somehow. Spread betting it could have been a viable alternative but spreads vary between 50-100 points, the overnight fees at ETX work out around 30% a year and no guaranteed stops for obvious reasons. There are far better opportunities.
brewski1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:56pm   #75
Joined Nov 2008
No mention of the amount of power the Bitcoin/Blockchain uses to process a tiny amount transactions a day? Wehn compared with the likes of VISA.

It uses more power in a year the the whole of Serbia!!
Its unsustainable.

https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption

Last edited by bredon; Dec 5, 2017 at 1:01pm.
bredon is offline   Reply With Quote