Cryptocurrencies: scams and skullduggery

This is a discussion on Cryptocurrencies: scams and skullduggery within the Cryptocurrencies forums, part of the Markets category; Originally Posted by piphoe i understand, but is there a difference here. crypto currency was new and intriguing currency concept ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:41pm   #31

Joined Jul 2017
Quantt started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
i understand, but is there a difference here.

crypto currency was new and intriguing currency concept 10 yrs ago. and bitcoin was in the lead, it was worth a look ..but ..don't have the stones and couldn't afford the flyer
I do work in IT/Security, so I keep an eye the space and even back then at let's say $30 didn't make sense as an investment... And I am yet to see the block chain technology to be widely used in real life for anything else than tokens...

But let's just say someone gave me a 100 as a gift for example, I would have sold them long time ago after the first 10x run/big drop, so nothing for me personally to feel sorry about...

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:37pm   #32
Joined May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
But let's just say someone gave me a 100 as a gift for example, I would have sold them long time ago after the first 10x run/big drop, so nothing for me personally to feel sorry about...
In 2014 the MIT Bitcoin Club provided each of MIT’s 4,494 undergraduates with $100 in bitcoin. Interestingly, 30% of the students did not even sign up for the free money, and 20% of the sign-ups converted the bitcoin to cash within a few weeks.

Those who know do not speak
Those who speak do not know
Since I have spoken, I do not know
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:59pm   #33

Joined Jul 2017
Quantt started this thread Morgan Stanley says the true price of bitcoin might be zero

http://www.businessinsider.com/morga...-value-2017-12

Possibly the saddest bitcoin chart ever is included in the article :-)

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:55pm   #34
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
Jees if I get one more email from a scammer telling me how to trade bitcoin I will,go mad !!!

Hahahahah

N
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:56pm   #35
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
Quote:
Morgan Stanley says the true price of bitcoin might be zero

Unlike fiat currencies ?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:23pm   #36

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVP View Post
Unlike fiat currencies ?
At least they are accepted everywhere

Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:12pm   #37
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
At least they are accepted everywhere
Of course they are, the smart people have been getting rid of them in exchange for real assets.

The study you and NVP should be doing is looking at all the major currencies and deciding if they have been getting collectively stronger or weaker since the crisis of 2008. If you find that the answer is "weaker", then you have a real conundrum. Where did my purchasing power go? Who is stealing from me? Why have my wages not risen in real terms? Why is everything more expensive?

Anyway, as the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink". People need to come to their own realisations about what is going on. Unless of course, they have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Atilla
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:19pm   #38
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
. . .Unless of course, they have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.
. . .like what Morgan Stanley do!
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Atilla , counter_violent
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:31pm   #39

Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
. . .like what Morgan Stanley do!
Agree. Article and responses wildly off skew imho.

Not worth reading as full of inaccurate assumptions and even worse conclusions.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:01pm   #40

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
. Where did my purchasing power go? Who is stealing from me? Why have my wages not risen in real terms? Why is everything more expensive?
Frankly, it makes me sad you feel that way, especially around Christmas... unfortunately bitcoins is not going to be your salvation especially this late in the game... maybe move to another country to start fresh or something...

Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:43pm   #41
Joined Oct 2009
Quote:
Morgan Stanley says the true price of bitcoin might be zero

A fence and sitting on it (or not as the case may be) springs to mind
wallstreetwarrior87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:25pm   #42
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
Quote:
Of course they are, the smart people have been getting rid of them in exchange for real assets.

The study you and NVP should be doing is looking at all the major currencies and deciding if they have been getting collectively stronger or weaker since the crisis of 2008. If you find that the answer is "weaker", then you have a real conundrum. Where did my purchasing power go? Who is stealing from me? Why have my wages not risen in real terms? Why is everything more expensive?

Anyway, as the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink". People need to come to their own realisations about what is going on. Unless of course, they have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.
What am I comparing the relative strength of all the G8 currencies to ?

Other global currencies ?
Gold ?
Bitcoins ?
Big Macs ?
Oil ?
Bonds ?
Equities ?

The flow of value Is a fascinating subject and a decent way to trade by following momentum

N
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:06pm   #43

Joined Jul 2017
Quantt started this thread Bitcoin plunges on fears South Korea will shut exchanges

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitco...hanges-2017-12

Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:22pm   #44
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Whilst I don't share Quantt's rather negative view of the whole crypto market, I do accept and understand that it attracts the wrong people for the wrong reasons. And because it's so new and the regulators are way behind the curve - there is opportunity a plenty for the scammers to have a field day. This leads me on to BitConnect. . .

BitConnect is both a coin and a trading platform of sorts. It has a bot that averages around 1% returns per day. Yep, you read that right folks: 1% per day! There's no information on how the bot works, no white paper, no details of who the developers / founders are and no contact details or e-mail address etc. In spite of that, it's currently the 17th largest crypto by market cap', boasting a staggering $2,781,138,582 (and counting).

It appears to me to be a classic Ponzi Scheme - proper Bernie Madoff style. But 'investors' are ploughing into it big time, attracted by the prospect of tripling their money every year. YouTube is littered with videos warning people about it and, when it collapses as it surely will, it'll inject a much needed dose of reality into the whole crypto arena. I'm interested in cryptos and think they're here to stay and am keen to get involved. However, with the knowledge and insight I've gained from many years on T2W, I can see (along with many of you I'm sure) that this is one big, bad ar$e, rotten apple in the barrel.
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Quantt
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:05am   #45

Joined Jul 2017
Quantt started this thread The Christmas crypto correction. What really happened – James Crypto

http://jamescrypto.com/the-christmas...ally-happened/