Bund Bobl and Schatz Thread

This is a discussion on Bund Bobl and Schatz Thread within the Commodities & Money Markets forums, part of the Markets category; Hey everyone! Im new to trade2win and this is my first post. A little about me. I am very young, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 17, 2008, 6:06pm   #1
Joined Jan 2008
Bund Bobl and Schatz Thread

Hey everyone! Im new to trade2win and this is my first post. A little about me. I am very young, have been in the markets for a little over 2 years now. Currently am a position trader and also trade the schatz intra day from 3am chicago time-7am chicago time. While my position trading has always been pretty successful (I still consider it my bread and butter), I struggled to be successful at intra day trading. I tried just about every single contract out there that was possible to trade and then I finally came to eurex fixed income. Everything just started to click after that and I have been trading the schatz ever since.

I thought this thread would be a great place for all the bund bobl and schatz traders to congregate. A place that traders can share thoughts about the market, what trades they currently have on, advice to newbies, etc.

Hope everybody enjoys each other's company and I hope this thread is successful.

Good Trading
buy 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:14pm   #2
Joined Aug 2007
Hi buy 'em, I'm about to start taking my first real trading steps trading the bund, bobl & shatz. I've been spreadbetting up until this point and just recently opened a brokerage account so I am happy for any advice you can give me. I'm using a trending system at the moment.

All the best
Rich
Richie_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:34pm   #3
Joined Jun 2006
Richie,

I'm talking from a scalping perspective here.Buy 'em probaly knows more than me but I would suggest trading the bobl or schatz to start - the bund can be pretty wild at times (but so can the bobl).

Further, the bobl and schatz trade in 1/2 point increments (1-point for the bund). For me, this provides a psychological advantage in that when watching the DOM and the market starts to run away from you, the relative rapidity of price change in 1/2 point increments creates a greater sense of urgency to close. And you do.

Grant.
grantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 9:35pm   #4
Joined Aug 2007
Right bobl & shatz. At the moment I'm about to start trading the futures on a IB simulated account just to get used to how the software and margin works. (Bit off topic) Could you recommend any other non-wild futures that are good to start with?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:38pm   #5

Joined Jan 2007
STIRs are probably the least wild. Sometimes not even wild enough to trade with reasonable profit unless you take a big position (and so risk a huge loss with a black swan event) - it's common for the front months to only have a couple of ticks range in the entire day.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:57pm   #6
Joined Aug 2007
Hi arabianights, please check your PM inbox, I've sent a couple of questions about STIRs. (Trying not to change the thread)
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:15am   #7
Joined Jan 2008
buy 'em started this thread Richie

I agree with grantx. Start by trading either the schatz or bobl first before moving to the bund. I myself have always traded the schatz and have no desire to start trading the bund or bobl. The reason the schatz is imo superior to the other two is becuase of the following. #1 schatz is half tick. #2 schatz is less volatile. #3 schatz lags the bund and bobl as a rule.

You could have an argument to trade the bobl over the schatz but I find that the bobl can be hard to trade off of using orderflow. The reason is that the bobl is the belly of the curve and is spread against every other part of the curve so a lot of times the moves won't make since compared to what the bund and schatz are doing. Looking at a chart I think the schatz is a little more crisp and has sharper moves.

Glad this thread is gaining some interest!
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:19am   #8
Joined Jan 2008
buy 'em started this thread By the way stirs can be very good products to trade but unless you are spreading them against other months its tough to just scalp the market due to the tight ranges and huge bid/offers on a pro rata algorithm.

If you are going to scalp them make sure you don't scalp the front month and instead scalp something with a little more volatility. Also be aware of what the other months are doing so you can keep track of what the spread traders (majority) are doing.

I appreciate you trying to keep the thread on topic