How to hedge currency risk with Interactive Brokers?

This is a discussion on How to hedge currency risk with Interactive Brokers? within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; Originally Posted by JackRab Normally, (at least in my case) it works like I said before. And then, yes, if ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:15pm   #17

4 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRab View Post
Normally, (at least in my case) it works like I said before. And then, yes, if you're stock portfolio is valued at 1100 Euro, that would mean the 100 Euro in profit is 'unhedged' in fx-sense.

If you were to sell all, you would get 1100 euro in cash, which pays off the 1000 euro loan and so you have net 100 cash...
If you hedged by selling EUR/USD for 100 euro... you would have no euros, since the 100 cash profit in euro's offsets that hedge.

Say you hedged that 100 euros... When you're unrealize p/l goes to 80, due to selling... that would mean you have sold 220 euro's worth of stock... so you received 220 euros in cash. I'm not sure, but it could mean you're hedge is now gone, and you have net 120 in euro.

Or ( and this makes sense to me)... it pays off that loan for 120 euros as well... so now you have no cash euros, 880 euro worth of stock and a 880 euro loan.
Thanks,

Now it seems like the hedge should simply be:
size of hedge = current EUR value of stock - EUR margin loans, regardless of the change in the size of the unrealized P/L.
Do you think this is correct?
Ceeyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:31am   #18

Joined Mar 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeyee View Post
Thanks,

Now it seems like the hedge should simply be:
size of hedge = current EUR value of stock - EUR margin loans, regardless of the change in the size of the unrealized P/L.
Do you think this is correct?
It's not really a margin loan, just a loan in a different currency.

You start with 1000 USD in cash
You buy 1000 EUR in stocks (assuming EUR/USD=1.00), Interactive Brokers lends you the 1000 Euros on you USD cash balance to buy those stocks.
So you now have 1000 USD in cash, 1000 EUR in stocks and a loan of 1000 EUR.

size of hedge = current EUR value of stock - EUR loan... seems correct. Unrealized P/L goes up and down when value of the stock goes up and down though, so that reflects the same. Stock up 100 Euro, Unr PL up 100 Euro... etc

Good luck trading!
JackRab is offline   Reply With Quote