Interactive Brokers

This is a discussion on Interactive Brokers within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; curious here. Does IB offers US treasury/bond CFDs?...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:12pm   #1851

2 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Re: Interactive Brokers

curious here. Does IB offers US treasury/bond CFDs?
Caesar95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:31am   #1852
D70
Joined Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepete View Post
I placed the order the day before and I did not want to miss it as I am always in and out the house. But you are right, I do prefer trading with `market` rather then leaving an order on.

It was made worse yesterday by low volume, as in my previous post I would not normally trade a low volume share.

IBs help desk guy Earnest told me the same as you, shares in 100s, but when I asked him about 100 plus shares, such as 160,175 etc he said I would also have problems with them.
That`s strange as the problem has never came up before.
I guess the question to IB is 'why let me execute 55 shares in the first place" ?
Have you got out of the problem now?
D70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:58am   #1853
Joined Jun 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by D70 View Post
I guess the question to IB is 'why let me execute 55 shares in the first place" ?
Have you got out of the problem now?

That`s a good question ,never asked, will remember for a next time.
After an hour the stock had descended 50c past my entry position without execution so I cancelled the order. It done me a favour in the end as it quickly rebounded.

Raises the question of stop sells or buys to close a position though.Not so confident in them anymore. Will keep a closer eye on the slippages.
deepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:15pm   #1854
Joined Sep 2012

From what I know, all limit orders carry the risk of not being filled (i.e. buy limit, sell limit, buy stop limit, sell stop limit). You are asking for a specific price. It the price jumps past your limit then there is no one willing to meet your price so the order goes unfilled at that point in time. If the price comes back to your limit, it will get filled. That's applicable for odd lot and full lots. Higher volume reduces the chances of not getting a limit order filled. I've used Market If Touched orders to ensure a fill but they carry risks of their own - slippage.
zing189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:52am   #1855
Joined Aug 2012
Re: Interactive Brokers & slow charting

Quote:
Originally Posted by D70 View Post
Hi Zing,

This is an ongoing IB problem.
2 solutions (which helped my IB speed).
1. Reduced the requests I was making (so went down to 1 chart)
2. Upgraded my pc to 4MB Ram, quad core something or other MEGA pc.
I'm down to 3 -5 seconds.
is that considered 'above average'?
haven't you experienced much faster loading times?
FringFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:03am   #1856
Joined Jun 2006

whats the most popular trading software with IB these days?
I used to use Sierra Charts 2 years ago and thinking of signing up again.
wiseass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 3:22pm   #1857

1 Posts
Joined Nov 2012

Hi,

I'm wondering what rates IB charges for the FX "loan" they provide when I trade securities not denominated in my base currency.

Thanks.
tscl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 6:51pm   #1858

5 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Unhappy IB - Slow Data Pull

I use NinjaTrader and Interactive Brokers.

Has anyone else experiencing slow data pull from IB? Any instrument takes on average 20 seconds to load; even after it's been cached.

I do not have any indicators loaded, and have only a 1 minute/2 day chart and a 5 minute/5day chart open.

I also only have 1 workspace loaded.

As to my Internet connection speed; it is 22Mbps

I have had a NT tech log unto my system, said all looked good.

Thanks.
Ghost Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:06pm   #1859
Joined Sep 2012
Re: IB - Slow Data Pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Shadow View Post
I use NinjaTrader and Interactive Brokers.

Has anyone else experiencing slow data pull from IB? Any instrument takes on average 20 seconds to load; even after it's been cached.

I do not have any indicators loaded, and have only a 1 minute/2 day chart and a 5 minute/5day chart open.

I also only have 1 workspace loaded.

As to my Internet connection speed; it is 22Mbps

I have had a NT tech log unto my system, said all looked good.

Thanks.
Hi,
Yes, see my post #1840. I found a few things while researching this issue. It seems to be well known that IB is slow at charting. I think IB charting is JAVA based (which is part of the problem) so you need to keep that up to date. You can check IB's Platform FAQ's for TWS. Maybe connectivity troubleshooting will help you out. Also, you need lot's of RAM on your computer. I have 8GB.

For me, one chart is one sec, two charts take under 5 sec to update. 5 charts can take up 10-20 secs.

As a work around to this I use the groups feature in IB. One group is linked to a single chart, another is linked to 3 charts, and another is linked to 5 charts.

Good luck on improving your charting speed.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:11am   #1860
Joined Sep 2012

Is there a known issue with IB losing your workspace settings? I lost my entire IB workspace. I spent half and hour or so with Tech Support to try and retrieve the workspace to no avail. I had to re-start from scratch. No fun. I will be saving the workspace file externally from now on.