Interactive Brokers

This is a discussion on Interactive Brokers within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; Originally Posted by goodtyneguy Thanks for the kind words, in fairness to IB they have consistently replied to queries since ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:01am   #1205
ibj
Joined May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtyneguy View Post
Thanks for the kind words, in fairness to IB they have consistently replied to queries since this thread started even though I had to bump my original enquiry. In my way of thinking if a company is not prepared to give one the time of day before one becomes a customer then that behaviour is unlikely to change by becoming a customer. That brings me on to your point about the poll, unfortunatley it's only for existing customers.

I think it is easier for them to conform to SIPP requirements because in the main this is probably just an IT issue i.e. developing their IT systems to restricit the activities that can take place within their universal account and electronically integrate with SIPP administrators. Once this becomes acceptable to the administrators they can accept responsibility for compliance issues and legal liability for the regulation of the SIPP.

As I understand it, (and of course I may be wrong)ISA regulation can not be farmed out to an independant administrator similar to the SIPP model. This would leave IB with the only option but to become a registered plan manager with HMRC. From a previous comment here from IB it appears this is something they are not prepared to embark upon. This is a real shame as IMO they would literally corner the market in ISA's based on what they have to offer in comparison to UK plan managers. They would probably have to increase their present fees to pay for the increased costs of structural changes and administration costs. I'd imagine they'd still remain very competitive if one considers IMO the extortionate costs of other ISA plan managers. That's if you can consider any of the UK offerings competitive e.g. who offers level two DMA to NYSE?

It is for the same reasons I expect their SIPP compliant account to be a big hit once it's launched.

Come in IB....
We are doing the SIPP first because we have had interest from significant SIPP providers. We are not planning to become a administrator ourselves because we try to stay close to our core expertise which is trade execution.
If we had similar interest from ISA providers, we would consider that account type as well.
ibj is offline Broker   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:56am   #1206
Joined Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibj View Post
We are doing the SIPP first because we have had interest from significant SIPP providers. We are not planning to become a administrator ourselves because we try to stay close to our core expertise which is trade execution.
If we had similar interest from ISA providers, we would consider that account type as well.
Thank you for your reply.

Are you still on target for the mid 1st quarter launch date for the SIPP?
goodtyneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:59am   #1207
 
johnlvs2run's Avatar
Joined Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtyneguy View Post
If you encourage people to go off topic the likely out come is you'll end up with a whole conversation with little relevance to the original purpose of the thread.
Well then I certainly won't be encouraging you.

As a retired real estate broker, when someone would ask me about running, I would gladly listen
and talk with them, or if they wanted to talk about their hobbies, or their kids. Why not??????
If someone responded like you, "hey why don't you check with a running club, and I'm not interested in your family,
I'm here to sell you a house", what do you think their response would be.

They would think that you were an idiot and kick you out of their house.

Anyway, back to trading.
johnlvs2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:33am   #1208
Joined Oct 2008
There are brokers in the market telling about the market scenario. You can also find many online brokers also who are providing daily analysis of the market. In addition, they are updated on the regular basis. If you see with AVAFX, you will find it with this broker. They have the facility of technical analysis
jeffsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:17am   #1209
Joined Jun 2008
quick question,
I'm attempting to open a new account at the moment but even tho I'm telling it I'm from the UK it wants a Social Security Number which of course i don't have.
It wont take a national insurance no. iv tried phoning the London office no reply, and the chat/help just sits saying it connecting but never does.
not the most promising of starts, can anyone help?
bfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 2:18pm   #1210
Joined Mar 2008
I want to buy/sell $4,000 worth of stocks in every trade. Is there a way to get TWS to calculate the number of shares? I have tried ticking the box "Use default amount to calculate size" in "Order Defaults", and wirting 4000 in "Default Amount", but TWS rounds up the number of shares to trade in 100s.

Do you know how to do this or do you know of any partner program that can do it? Thanks very much.
Benedetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:31pm   #1211
Joined Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfirth View Post
quick question,
I'm attempting to open a new account at the moment but even tho I'm telling it I'm from the UK it wants a Social Security Number which of course i don't have.
It wont take a national insurance no. iv tried phoning the London office no reply, and the chat/help just sits saying it connecting but never does.
not the most promising of starts, can anyone help?
simpel answer i was using opera which for some reason had a problem IE workes fine
bfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interactive Brokers FTSE Beater Brokerages 3 Nov 6, 2009 2:17pm
Interactive brokers kevo21 Brokerages 14 Jan 27, 2006 4:21pm
Interactive Brokers- £ or $ oriana Brokerages 3 Mar 4, 2005 7:37pm
is interactive brokers well known? tonyjai Stocks 5 Feb 14, 2005 12:32pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)