Interactive Brokers

This is a discussion on Interactive Brokers within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; Originally Posted by goldmember1 Does anybody know whether the deposit you give can be used for trading - a note ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:04pm   #1681

7 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Re: Interactive Brokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmember1 View Post
Does anybody know whether the deposit you give can be used for trading - a note comes up that the deposit is seperate from my trading account
Good question - I'm also interested in this information.

Maybe def can answer it. He seems to be quite knowledgeable.

Thank in advance,
Tom
TomTomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:59am   #1682
def
Joined Feb 2003

I'm not aware of the note but if you're talking about your initial deposit why wouldn't it be available for trading. There is only one cash balance in the statements.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:43am   #1683

Joined Oct 2008

I have been looking into them myself and as far as I am aware you have to opne an account with $10k and quoted from website:

To Trade a margin account you must maintain at least USD 2,000 or non-USD equivalent. For details on margin requirements, see the Margin page.

From this I assume then that your deposit is not segregated but can be used as trading capital - only if you have a zero balance for 45 days will your account become dormant
as I understand it.

Maybe you have more than one internal account for different products and need to transfer funds over to the other? Letus know how you get on.
Shaun12uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:39pm   #1684

Joined Feb 2004

Hi,
I have opened an IB SIPP account. My account is in GBP but I want to trade US Futures and ETFs.

It is a cash account and I realize that I need to do a currency conversion to USD in order to place orders. I understand that there is a means by which i can do this from TWS. Can someone explain to me how I do that please?

Thx
D
fundjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 1:53pm   #1685
Joined Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundjunkie View Post
Hi,
I have opened an IB SIPP account. My account is in GBP but I want to trade US Futures and ETFs.

It is a cash account and I realize that I need to do a currency conversion to USD in order to place orders. I understand that there is a means by which i can do this from TWS. Can someone explain to me how I do that please?

Thx
D
These may help:

http://ibkb.interactivebrokers.com/node/87

http://ibkb.interactivebrokers.com/node/1172

You'll find you will have to ask fewer questions here if you first search the knowledge base by using the drop down menu when hovering your mouse over "Help and Contacts" at the top right of the home page. Alternatively just type in key words in the search box below it.

If you have forex trading permissions can you let me know what time do they regard as the close of the currency trading day i.e. what time of day in EST (US eastern standard time) does the daily bar close when looking at currency pairs in their charting package.
Thanks

Last edited by goodtyneguy; Apr 12, 2011 at 1:55pm. Reason: more info
goodtyneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 2:54pm   #1686

Joined Dec 2010

I was just wandering since commisions for bundled are twice as high with IB for STIRS as they are with Velocity futures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalos View Post
what's the difference between bundled & unbundled under commissions??

Many thankyou

Pedro
Tantalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 6:08pm   #1687

5 Posts
Joined Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive Brokers View Post
I believe the legislation you are referring to takes effect in 2013.
So let me get this straight. Starting in 2013, I will have to give 30% of my withdrawals to the IRS?? This is a major deal breaker for any non-us customers if I am understanding correctly.
onmargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 6:46pm   #1688
Joined May 2011

So from what I've read, you can only get 1 year of back data at the most? Are you kidding me?! How the hell would I ever back test anything - let alone forward test it? This is a huge deal breaker for me. I almost was going to sign up with IB, but this is completely rediculous for anyone that is a serious systems trader that needs to back and forward test their stuff. Really such a bummer...

I would love it if someone could prove me wrong... Now it looks like I'll have to go to Tradestaion at this point unless someone else has a better suggestion.

Thanks,

-Alli
Allistah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 7:24pm   #1689

Joined Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allistah View Post
So from what I've read, you can only get 1 year of back data at the most? Are you kidding me?! How the hell would I ever back test anything - let alone forward test it? This is a huge deal breaker for me. I almost was going to sign up with IB, but this is completely rediculous for anyone that is a serious systems trader that needs to back and forward test their stuff. Really such a bummer...

I would love it if someone could prove me wrong... Now it looks like I'll have to go to Tradestaion at this point unless someone else has a better suggestion.

Thanks,

-Alli
Back testing should not be broker dependant. If you back test on a different system and use this broker to forward test or execute live strategies there shouldn't be a problem.
forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 10:09pm   #1690

Joined Apr 2008

serious system trader knows that nothing is easy on the market. and the further deep you in the retail branch the less luxuries you get.

serious system trader will not waste his time venting his anger on public boards where ppl normally getting kicks from someone getting in troubles.

serious system trader will pull few hundred bucks out of his hundreds of thousands cash stash under his mattress and buy himself a proper data feed which is designed for serious analysis.
maxima is offline   Reply With Quote