Interactive Brokers

This is a discussion on Interactive Brokers within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; Originally Posted by Maxime Hi guys, I'm testing IB API with Excel. I aim to use it as an automatic ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:15pm   #1149
Joined Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxime View Post
Hi guys,

I'm testing IB API with Excel.
I aim to use it as an automatic trading software.
But on the demo I can't download the forex historical data (particulary EUR/USD). It still involve an error : "Historical Market Data Service error message:No historical market data is available for the exchange 'IDEAL' and the security type 'Forex' and '1 d' and '1 hour'"

I need this datas to use my system (I'm on MT4 currently).

An idea ?

Thx
Try using the IDEALPRO exchange instead. IDEAL is for currency conversion, not trading, and generally covers volume < $25k, while IDEALPRO is the actual trading exchange.
rnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 6:10pm   #1150

2 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Dear boardmembers, questions concerning compensation... might be interesting for some here.

I once held shares in Aurelian (tsx) however Kinross has succesfully acquired this company, and so they forced us to sell our shares. However, during the acquisition, my shares were frozen for 3 weeks. Great, from 3 october until today. Goes without saying, my shares have dropped in value like most people here. As a result, my NEW Kinross shares were liquidated IMMEDIATELY after the 3 week freezeout. This due to insufficient funds in account to cover the margincall. Could these 3 weeks have been overcome? Even without knowing there even was an acquisition or even a possibility for a better value per share (by becoming a dissenting shareholder)(This news was not brought to my attention unlike other shareholders...) ... I feel IB has not done there best to inform their shareholders, and they could have stabilized the situation a bit better by offering some form of insurance to those in the frozen situation considering no-one knows what was attainable at the end of the 3 weeks of no buying or selling....

Can one fight for compensation over these matters... ?

Thanks in advance, hope my story is clear,

Kind regards, Burn

Last edited by Burnhard; Oct 27, 2008 at 6:17pm.
Burnhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 6:23pm   #1151

5 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnicoll View Post
Try using the IDEALPRO exchange instead. IDEAL is for currency conversion, not trading, and generally covers volume < $25k, while IDEALPRO is the actual trading exchange.
Thx for your answer. But when I use IDEALPRO for the exchange, it send me an other error : "Historical Market Data Service error message:HMDS query returned no data: EUR.USD@IDEALPRO Midpoint"

I can't work without the historical, the spot are not enough beacause I use the last extremums.
Maxime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:16pm   #1152
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Have you subscribed to receive forex data on the IB platform ? Also have you enabled the API to send data to DDE ? If not then you wont get any data.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:46pm   #1153

5 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader333 View Post
Have you subscribed to receive forex data on the IB platform ? Also have you enabled the API to send data to DDE ? If not then you wont get any data.

Paul
Yes Paul, all is good and I receive the spot EUR/USD in the ticker worksheet without problems.

Can I create my historical from the ticker ?

Last edited by Maxime; Oct 27, 2008 at 9:17pm.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:13am   #1154
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
I am unable to answer about historical as I have not tried using it in Excel.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 4:28pm   #1155

5 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader333 View Post
I am unable to answer about historical as I have not tried using it in Excel.

Paul

Someone has ever downloaded the forex historical data from Excel (with the API) ?