Interactive Brokers

This is a discussion on Interactive Brokers within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; We do not support AIM shares, rather FTSE 100, 250, and select SETs AIM shares denominated in GBP....

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 20, 2011, 8:01am   #1631
Joined Jan 2006
Re: Interactive Brokers

We do not support AIM shares, rather FTSE 100, 250, and select SETs AIM shares denominated in GBP.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:46am   #1632
Joined May 2005

Hidden in the Obama legislation (HIRE) is the following 30 per cent withholding on payments to unrecognised foreign banks. I think it has taken effect on Jan 1. So, my question is if I wire funds from IB to a foreign bank is there a chance of having 30% with held? Which i would presumably only get back if I complete a IRS form, the complexity of which is amazing. If so which banks are ok and which are not? As a non-US resident will I be caught up in this problem? If I transfer shares to another broker, is this subject to the with holding tax?

"FATCA will:

* Impose a 30 per cent tax withholding on payments to 1) foreign financial institutions (can include trusts) that fail to identify US accounts, their owners and assets to the IRS, or 2) foreign corporations that do not supply the name, address, and tax identification number of any US individual with at least 10 per cent ownership;"
maxwellreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:58am   #1633
Joined Jan 2006

f you are a non-US person or entity, Interactive Brokers is required to have a valid form W8 certifying your country of tax residence at the time of application. You may update your W8 form at any time in Account Management. The form is straight forward and simple to complete.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:03pm   #1634
Joined May 2005

Yes I understand that, however, this is new legislation, that effectively says if a foreign bank is not recognised all payments to that bank are subject to a 30% with holding tax.
maxwellreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:30pm   #1635
Joined Jan 2006

I believe the legislation you are referring to takes effect in 2013.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:24am   #1636
Joined Nov 2008

Hi,

I have a question about combination orders. I am planning on opening an account next week and I've been testing the Java API with the TWS demo.

I keep getting errors when I send out combination orders with more than 2 legs. These orders are Stock + Option on the same underlying for example a straddle + stock position.

I want to find out are the combination orders still supported by TWS or is it just the case that the TWS demo is a bit wonky?

Thanks for any feedback.
dr_trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:03am   #1637
Joined Jan 2006

Refer to the following link for more details about the combination orders we support

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en...ion_orders.htm
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:22am   #1638
Joined Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive Brokers View Post
Refer to the following link for more details about the combination orders we support

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en...ion_orders.htm
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I've read that page previously but I need to create my own combos. I tried the "Pair or Leg-by-Leg" tab in the Combo Selection and the orders don't go through.

This is an example of what I've tried:

Combo:
buy 100 shares MSFT
buy 1 Apr11 Call Option
buy 1 Apr11 Put Option

price MKT
routing SMART

From the TWS demo, for some strange reason this order is not accepted. And it's the same with the Java API.

When I drop any of the legs the order goes through. I've tried changing the routing but that's not helping either.

Thanks again.

Last edited by dr_trick; Feb 22, 2011 at 4:43pm. Reason: typo
dr_trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:00am   #1639

3 Posts
Joined Feb 2011

If your Papertrader Account Management account is blocked after failed login attempts, does that mean your actual account will also be blocked? I just tried to login several times to my Papertrader account, but it wouldn't work allthough I'm pretty sure I gave the correct login + password. After 3 or 4 times I got a message they blocked the account due to several login attempts and that I have to contact their contact center ..

Perhaps it's a problem on my pc because I'm trying to do it on another pc, but I thought that didn't matter to view your Account Management. No I don't dare to try it with my real login.
Straddle1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:28am   #1640
Joined Jan 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straddle1985 View Post
If your Papertrader Account Management account is blocked after failed login attempts, does that mean your actual account will also be blocked? I just tried to login several times to my Papertrader account, but it wouldn't work allthough I'm pretty sure I gave the correct login + password. After 3 or 4 times I got a message they blocked the account due to several login attempts and that I have to contact their contact center ..

Perhaps it's a problem on my pc because I'm trying to do it on another pc, but I thought that didn't matter to view your Account Management. No I don't dare to try it with my real login.
If you are our client and you are still experiencing problems with your Paper Trading account, please contact our technical helpdesk.