Interactive Brokers

This is a discussion on Interactive Brokers within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; Do you not even understand lock limit days? Oil and lumber are extremely different contracts. Stop choking this thread with ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:54pm   #1265

Joined Sep 2003
Do you not even understand lock limit days? Oil and lumber are extremely different contracts.

Stop choking this thread with your foolish pleas for Interactive Brokers to make an unwise divergence from their core business. They are in the business of providing fast efficient low cost electronic access to liquid and popular markets.

If you want to trade lumber, milk, pigs feet, or palladium then get a full service broker. They will make you feel better when you finally learn about the joys of thin and nasty contracts. Do that and come back in a year to tell us how much fun it was.

IB have enough trouble dealing with the more stupid amongst their customer base without adding these contracts.
nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: wasp , peto , MrMiyagi
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:06pm   #1266
Joined Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine View Post
Do you not even understand lock limit days? Oil and lumber are extremely different contracts.

Of course I know what limit-up and limit-down days are. I m not stupid as you may think.

We had some limit-up days in lumber in last weeks: maximum 10$ movements/day allowed.
In November there were twice limit down-days in NKD, Nikkei down 1000 points.

This would have meant a loss of 5000$ (one limit down day in Nikkei) , then you need to have at least 5 limit down days in lumber to have the same loss (in absolute terms).

Lumber is just very low and chances that it goes up are greater than a further decline. So risk/reward is ok. At these prices I woyuldn't go short on it.

Check out my trading blog with successes and failures in trading.

Last edited by wmbelg; Feb 21, 2009 at 11:21pm.
wmbelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:19pm   #1267
Joined Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine View Post

Stop choking this thread with your foolish pleas for Interactive Brokers to make an unwise divergence from their core business. They are in the business of providing fast efficient low cost electronic access to liquid and popular markets.

Sugar is available through globex, trades not many contract. I see more action on the real time prices on globex lumber

IB allows trading in UX Uranium (cash settled), the most illiquid market of all futures market

If you want to trade lumber, milk, pigs feet, or palladium then get a full service

palladium is available through IB
Why do i need a full service broker? Lumber is just a click away on the Globex platform.

broker. They will make you feel better when you finally learn about the joys of thin and nasty contracts. Do that and come back in a year to tell us how much fun it was.

IB have enough trouble dealing with the more stupid amongst their customer base without adding these contracts.

Then they could have minimum account balance to allow trading this product. My account covers completely 2 contracts, I could ride these down to eventually zero.

Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:19pm   #1268
Joined Jan 2005
CFD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive Brokers View Post
Interactive Brokers strategy is to provide our clients new value. For example, last year we provided multiple free upgrades to our software, we added new exchanges and services.
We are always considering new products, exchanges, features, services and etc. If we get considerable interest/feedback in adding CFD's to our product list we will consider it.
Do IB offer cfd's ?...what are the costs involved in opening an account, min balance etc.
Are there any restrictions or conditions applicable for UK residents ?
Thanks
Davie
davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 5:24am   #1269
Joined Jan 2006
Interactive Brokers policy is to only support exchange listed regulated products (e.g., shares, options, futures, bonds, ETF's and etc). The only exception is forex which we also support. Considering CFD's are not exchange listed products with the exception of Australian CFD's (which we do support), we do not support OTC...CFD's.

The costs and fees to open an account with us for an individual are:

- $10,000 minimum deposit or the equivalent in another base currency;
- $10 minimum brokerage fee, per month;
- Interactive Brokers brokerages fees applicable http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en...p?ib_entity=uk
- Market data fees applicable http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en...p?ib_entity=uk

Other fees may apply.

All of our fees, terms and conditions are transparently denoted on our website www.interactivebrokers.co.uk so you can compare us against our competitors.

There are no restrictions for UK clients with the exception that we do not take on beginners, as we are a non discretionary broker/dealer i.e., we do not give advise. Hence any new client should have minimum amount of experience and have good knowledge, so they can trade for thier own account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie View Post
Do IB offer cfd's ?...what are the costs involved in opening an account, min balance etc.
Are there any restrictions or conditions applicable for UK residents ?
Thanks
Davie
Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:09pm   #1270
Joined Oct 2006
Does Interactive Brokers (in the United States) allow traders to short stock options in a margin account (AKA naked puts and calls)? I know there are limitations in shorting stocks, but I don't know about stock options. Do I need to take any special steps to activate that ability?

Thanks

Steve
DallasSteve is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:43pm   #1271
Joined Sep 2007
Yes we are now interactive with InteractiveBrokers with Globex Lumber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will go get my axe and start cutting trees.

Thank you InterActiveBrokers

Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:20am   #1272

Joined Dec 2008
Is this still the IB thread or has it become a demential lumber thing?
This was one of the most useful threads before it got incredibly derailed into nonsense.

If this still regards IB can someone help me about FX Trader?
I would like to place stop orders but when I try to do so it does not allow me to specify a price; how can I enter a stop order without a price?
I have read the instruction manual, but for some reasons it does not spend more than a few words about FX Trader.
Many thanks
viclondon is offline   Reply With Quote