Interactive Brokers

This is a discussion on Interactive Brokers within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; quick question, I'm attempting to open a new account at the moment but even tho I'm telling it I'm from ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:17am   #1209
Joined Jun 2008
quick question,
I'm attempting to open a new account at the moment but even tho I'm telling it I'm from the UK it wants a Social Security Number which of course i don't have.
It wont take a national insurance no. iv tried phoning the London office no reply, and the chat/help just sits saying it connecting but never does.
not the most promising of starts, can anyone help?
bfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:18pm   #1210
Joined Mar 2008
I want to buy/sell $4,000 worth of stocks in every trade. Is there a way to get TWS to calculate the number of shares? I have tried ticking the box "Use default amount to calculate size" in "Order Defaults", and wirting 4000 in "Default Amount", but TWS rounds up the number of shares to trade in 100s.

Do you know how to do this or do you know of any partner program that can do it? Thanks very much.
Benedetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:31pm   #1211
Joined Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfirth View Post
quick question,
I'm attempting to open a new account at the moment but even tho I'm telling it I'm from the UK it wants a Social Security Number which of course i don't have.
It wont take a national insurance no. iv tried phoning the London office no reply, and the chat/help just sits saying it connecting but never does.
not the most promising of starts, can anyone help?
simpel answer i was using opera which for some reason had a problem IE workes fine
bfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:35pm   #1212

Joined Mar 2008
Hi Benedetti, why don't you ask IB direct via their website? Generally speaking they're quite good at replying with a useful answer.

bfirth, you must be doing something wrong. IB never asked me for a social security number, or if it did, i left it blank or something obvious that I don't remember. i'd try starting a new application.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:11pm   #1213

Joined Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedetti View Post
TWS rounds up the number of shares to trade in 100s.
I believe that even 100's trade more quickly.
johnlvs2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 12:42am   #1214
Joined Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Well then I certainly won't be encouraging you.

As a retired real estate broker, when someone would ask me about running, I would gladly listen
and talk with them, or if they wanted to talk about their hobbies, or their kids. Why not??????
If someone responded like you, "hey why don't you check with a running club, and I'm not interested in your family,
I'm here to sell you a house", what do you think their response would be.

They would think that you were an idiot and kick you out of their house.

Anyway, back to trading.
Thank you for the great post John, I have never laughed so much for a long time. In fact it was bed time for me in the UK when I first read it and could n't sleep for laughing, great stuff. I do however think that your analogy has no relevance to a thread such as this the purpose of which was made clear by one of the administrators of the board in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Well then I certainly won't be encouraging you.
If you did I and I'd thought a number of exchanges were imminent I would have suggested moving the conversation to a new thread in the appropriate segement of the chat board e.g. The Lounge. I suspect most people who come to this thread are busy working people and come here in the hope of quickly finding an answer to a query they have about IB rather than to chat about all and sundry. I therefore think it's inconsiderate to expect other people to have to scroll through a thread which is clogged up with other peoples irrelevant chat.
goodtyneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 7:20am   #1215
Joined Dec 2008
Folks, I'm looking hard at moving to IB this week. My group is currently working on an autotrader for the YM and NQ, there was some talk of issues with IBs datafeed. I do not know details but I will ask an open forum, if anyone would like to comment positively or neg on IB data or their experience with IB before I pull the trigger, please respond. Thanks
lacloudchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 9:01am   #1216

Joined Sep 2003
IB data feeds (there are two) are fine if you understand what they are:

- live feed provides a packet every 100-200ms with a price and a volume reading (that will be accurate to the extent that the exchange provides accurate live vol). this gives rise to tick counts that are less than true tick feed vendors but means that there is no delay in fast markets. each packet provides only one price tho so in a busy market you will miss a bar high or low 4 or 5 times a day.

- 5 second feed provides an ohlcvt bar at the end of every 5 seconds missing no data (but not a "true tick" either).

With Sierra Chart we can combine 5 sec and live to give charts that are up to the 10th of a second and are accurate (all high and low prices) but tick counts will never be "true" tick counts.
nine is offline   Reply With Quote