Interactive Brokers

This is a discussion on Interactive Brokers within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; Originally Posted by SonofYoda Any help with my query would be much appreciated, I plan to open an IB account ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:22pm   #1876

6 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Re: Interactive Brokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofYoda View Post
Any help with my query would be much appreciated, I plan to open an IB account with rather small capital as a "trial" to see if their real platform is reliable as their demo appears to be. I plan to deposit roughly £1200 and make short term intrday trades worth £500 (so positions that are at least 200 times that due to their leverage). Does anyone see the margin being a problem? For instance if I pool half of my rather small deposit into a short position on Eur\Usd and close it within a few hours that would leave me at an unrealised P\L of lets say... - £300 ( an hour or so before I close the trade) but I Knew the position would realize itself at lets say...£200 profit (at least). Would this set of any alarms at IB, for instance would they stop out a position likes this?
IB WILL close you out but not all at once. They close you out in increments to satisfy margin (and charge you commission on each trade).

Their real-time system is MORE responsive than the Demo system.
spoowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:51pm   #1877

6 Posts
Joined Jan 2013

Hi,

Does anyone know how much IB charge for Level 2?

thanks

graham
grahamjonesfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:27pm   #1878

1 Posts
Joined Jan 2013

Hi,

Does IB can save 'mark-ups' such as trendlines, comments, etc. per ticker/chart? Right now, I have to redraw trendlines, etc. as I toggle through ticker symbols in the watchlist. Maybe there's a config setting that I haven't been able to find?

thanks a lot
kinobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:40pm   #1879
Joined Sep 2012

Hi,

This is exactly the same as my previous post #1866????

Anyway, I have found that you can maintain chart mark-up's by keeping a chart open per 'key' instrument that you are tracking. So I have multiple charts on one screen with separate instruments per chart. I enter comments on these small charts which are not lost unless I bring up a different instrument on that small chart. If I'm analyzing one of those instruments, I bring it up in a different set of charts. Trendlines made in those charts are transferred to all charts on that instrument (i.e. the small chart).

All I need now is more screen space

Zing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinobe View Post
Hi,

Does IB can save 'mark-ups' such as trendlines, comments, etc. per ticker/chart? Right now, I have to redraw trendlines, etc. as I toggle through ticker symbols in the watchlist. Maybe there's a config setting that I haven't been able to find?

thanks a lot
zing189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:47pm   #1880
Joined Sep 2012

Hi,
On a separate topic, I have recently noticed that when IB is running for a long time (six hours plus) it seems to really 'slow' down in updates and response to the user. Has anyone else had that problem? It was so bad in one case that as I clicked on cancel order, it transmitted and filled the order! I was shocked and closed out at a lost.
Zing
zing189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:42am   #1881

1 Posts
Joined Mar 2013

Is cost plus or flat rate going to be better for me?

I usually trade 100-1000 shares, but not sure if I add or deplete liquidity.

Let's say for example I do 200,000 shares a month.

Last edited by dobiesue; Mar 8, 2013 at 12:44am. Reason: note, that I read their examples on their webpage which are by no means sufficient to answer my question.
dobiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:49pm   #1882

Joined Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing189 View Post
Hi,
On a separate topic, I have recently noticed that when IB is running for a long time (six hours plus) it seems to really 'slow' down in updates and response to the user. Has anyone else had that problem? It was so bad in one case that as I clicked on cancel order, it transmitted and filled the order! I was shocked and closed out at a lost.
Zing
You're talking about TWS? That is not my experience but there is so much different stuff in TWS, you can't rule out a bug. You'd need to try to isolate the problem or narrow it down in some way, try to identify what functionality it is that slows it down, and then report it (which will probably not get you very far with IB's support).

Keep an eye on your CPU and memory using the Windows task manager and next time you see TWS hogging resources, close it and re-open.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:57pm   #1883

6 Posts
Joined May 2008

I think this feature would be very useful for all traders in the time and sales window, if all IB users could vote for this as well that would be great. Interactive Brokers Features Poll
phw0ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:04am   #1884
Joined Dec 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing189 View Post
Hi,
Zing
i was having issues a few years back. using ib with multicharts , charts kept lagging and ib trades not going through properly. after advice from multi charts turned out that my cpu was to low. bought more powerful computer and no more issues for last 4 yr.
dcarrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:09am   #1885
Joined Oct 2006

They have been heavily fined.

Interactive Brokers to pay $225,000 CFTC fine - MarketWatch
pboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:50pm   #1886
Joined Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboyles View Post
Interactive Brokers? $225,000? You and I must have significantly different interpretations of the meaning of the word "heavily".

To me, a fine of $225,000 suggests a technical offense considered pretty minor, from which no clients' interests were actually damaged at all. Sounds more or less like "a way of getting their attention".
alexaherself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:03pm   #1887
Joined Oct 2006

Quote: The Commodity Futures Trading Commission allegedly found that between Sept. 21, 2011 and May 8, 2012, Interactive Brokers "improperly" covered its commodity futures and options customer obligations with Japanese yen and Swiss francs to "maximize its interest earnings."
pboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: alexaherself
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:28pm   #1888
Joined Nov 2011

Nobody's suggesting they behaved impeccably, clearly, over the very minor issue concerned, but in the general context of such matters, I think we can all see that $225,000 is about as paltry as they come.

Paltry or even perhaps poultry, if you look at that, in context, as "chicken feed".

It's interpretative, of course, but if that's the most derogatory finding, in the context of other disciplinary/regulatory matters discussed in this fine forum, the words "my case rests" do rather spring to mind, if you'll excuse the observation.
alexaherself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:00pm   #1889
Joined Nov 2012
Tws Booktrader

Hi,
If i set up presets to stop limit as my primary order, can i then, if i right click on the bid column above the current price on booktrader buy on the bid and capture the spread (assuming order gets filled), or can i only capture the spread by left clicking on the bid to create a limit order!
Mistermoneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:11pm   #1890
Joined Oct 2006
Mr. Money Maker

I've never been able to buy at the bid or sell at the ask, but it's a nice dream to have. If you are able to do so I would like to hear about how you do it. As a rule of business a broker will only fill buys at the ask and sells at the bid. If you create a limit order to buy at the bid and it fills it is almost surely because the price moved, at least momentarily, and the ask dropped down to the former bid price.
DallasSteve is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote