Berkeley Futures

This is a discussion on Berkeley Futures within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; Originally Posted by badtrader For the smaller trader. If you deposit 10k and it goes down to 5k and below. ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 25, 2005, 2:40pm   #33
 
zigglewigler's Avatar
Joined Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtrader
For the smaller trader. If you deposit 10k and it goes down to 5k and below. you will get charged $9 r/t to trade regarding the small time trader. like I said in my last post. plus exchange, clearing, and regulatory fees one need to add all these up first. You know the old saying If it sound to good to be true. ///??????

I think you can open an account with berkeley for 3k.I am not sure maybe by marc form Berkeley can comment on this
Well, that's my point, if you can't stump up $5k, you shouldn't be trading anyway. If you complain about a broker simply because you have to make a modest minimum deposit, then you're really focusing on the wrong area.
__________________
Luck is not a strategy.
zigglewigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 2:43pm   #34
 
zigglewigler's Avatar
Joined Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fader
IB new rates effective Nov 1st

Stocks*: $0.005/Share (all-in)
Options*: $0.75/Contract (all-in)
Futures: $0.25 to $1.20/Contract (plus exchange costs)
Forex**: 1 to 2 PIP wide EUR/USD spreads

*$1.00 minimum on all orders, no extra ticket charge
** Whereas other brokers inflate their forex spreads with more than their fair share for commissions, IB quotes the best bid/offer from multiple large banks and charges a separate 0.2 PIP commission on EUR/USD.
Interesting, I've had no info from IB about this. Where did you come across this news?
__________________
Luck is not a strategy.
zigglewigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 2:57pm   #35
 
turtle trader's Avatar
Joined Sep 2003
I've had an e-mail confirming these new comms. If you go to their website you can access the info via the scrolling 'News at IB' area on the homepage.

Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigglewigler
Interesting, I've had no info from IB about this. Where did you come across this news?
turtle trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 3:36pm   #36
Joined Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCRATES
I have been using IB for 5 years now but only for futures out of Eurex. The only hitches I have experienced have been due to temporary internet disconnection. Otherwise no significant problems other than they keep "updating" their execution platfom which is a nuisance, as I find it disconcerting to have to keep setting up platforms in the simplest manner possible with hotkeys whilst avoiding all the extra bells and whistles that are not needed. On the very few occasions (if I recall correctly 3 times) that I had to ring them to close a position I do recall noting the telephone could have been answered more quickly, but as none of them were critical exits I did not consider response time to be critical. I will say however that for Dax and SMI overall, execution is very satisfactory with very rapid fills.
================================================== ==============
Soc,

Thanx again.

I read too many horror stories experienced by IB clients see my links on Brokers thread.

I take it you dont trade options with them? If you do plz let me know cause i have many questions to ask you, also for the benefit of the viewers too for them to know first hand and not from some guys of the company that dont give straight answers to simple questions and cleverly avoid to answer most of them.

Bull
bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 4:00pm   #37
 
SOCRATES's Avatar
Joined Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer
================================================== ==============
Soc,

Thanx again.

I read too many horror stories experienced by IB clients see my links on Brokers thread.

I take it you dont trade options with them? If you do plz let me know cause i have many questions to ask you, also for the benefit of the viewers too for them to know first hand and not from some guys of the company that dont give straight answers to simple questions and cleverly avoid to answer most of them.

Bull
Bully I have read the thread with great interest and followed your arguments on it very closely.
But I only use them as I describe above and so far what I have posted is what I have experienced with them since 2000. I have not traded options with them at all, so I cannot comment one way or the other, and none of my people have either so they cannot comment either.
SOCRATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 5:29pm   #38
Joined Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkeleyFutures
We can and will offer exchange minimum margin requirements. Although customers that have this facility would be expected to meet any margin calls that may arise on the account. However, our usual policy on Uk equity and index options is to have a 20% multiplyer on the initial margin requirement.
================================================== ==============
BF,

I think most people here [myself included] realise that your trying to generate business for your firm. So i hope its ok to ask a few questions and that you dont mind answering them:

1. If i were looking for a broker to trade mainly Options on footsie index and i reside in UK ,.Plz tell me why i should not use IB? [they claim they are the cheap] and why i should use BF.

2. Would you allow me to trade Short OTM puts or trade Short OTM Strangles.[ftse index]

3. How much margin do you add on top of clearing house.and is it posible for BF NOT to add on top.

4. How many days grace do you give if on Margin-call and how do you notify me.

5. When and HOW do you intefere with positions if margin -calls are NOT met. or do you close some or all positions when margins are not met.

6. Do you allow clients to adjust/convert positions if on margin-call or would i need to first settle the margin first by adding cleared funds into account.

7. is there any criteria i need to meet to be allowed to trade Short otm puts or short otm strangles.

8. Are my funds protected against bankrupcies or coruptions etc [insurance protections]

Bull

Last edited by bulldozer; Oct 25, 2005 at 5:36pm.
bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 8:48am   #39
Joined Dec 2002
Posts edited/removed. Please keep posts on topic.
__________________
Please do not message me about account deletion or moderation.

For advertising issues ONLY please email advertising (at) trade2win.com
rossored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:02am   #40
Joined Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer
================================================== ==============
BF,

I think most people here [myself included] realise that your trying to generate business for your firm. So i hope its ok to ask a few questions and that you dont mind answering them:

1. If i were looking for a broker to trade mainly Options on footsie index and i reside in UK ,.Plz tell me why i should not use IB? [they claim they are the cheap] and why i should use BF.

2. Would you allow me to trade Short OTM puts or trade Short OTM Strangles.[ftse index]

3. How much margin do you add on top of clearing house.and is it posible for BF NOT to add on top.

4. How many days grace do you give if on Margin-call and how do you notify me.

5. When and HOW do you intefere with positions if margin -calls are NOT met. or do you close some or all positions when margins are not met.

6. Do you allow clients to adjust/convert positions if on margin-call or would i need to first settle the margin first by adding cleared funds into account.

7. is there any criteria i need to meet to be allowed to trade Short otm puts or short otm strangles.

8. Are my funds protected against bankrupcies or coruptions etc [insurance protections]

Bull
Hi Bulldozer, all good questions and i will answer them as best i can.

1) It wouldn't be very professional of me to sling mud at other brokers so i won't. But i will point out 1) major difference between Berkeley and a pure on-line broker. We tend to be able to offer a level of flexibility that a lot of other brokers don't, this is due to the fact that we offer both on-line and telephone dealing. For example if you had some positions and wanted to take out more but didn't have the funds with us then depending on your account value and what you wanted to do i would let you put the trade on whilst you get your funds together. Or another example might be holding stock as collateral to support margins which lots of on-line brokers don't like to get involved in.


2) We will allow you to write any options as long as you can support the margin requirements.

3) We can offer you exchange minimum margin requirements although our multiplier is usual 20% on top of exchange minimums. If we treat you as a professional and offer you exchange minimum margin requirements then we do expect you to act professionally and meet any margin calls the day that they are due.

4) We can notify you any way you want but it is usually by phone or email. If the account is not in order by the 5th day then for regulatory reasons we would have to close enough positions to bring your account in line.

5) We try not to interfere with anyone's position. The only time we do do this is when there is a commercial risk to Berkeley on the account. In which case we would endeavour to close off positions to avoid a situation whereby a customer would go into a debit situation.

6) We would allow customers to trade around positions to reduce the margin call although if customers are going to do this we would ask them to do this on the day the margin call arises and not on the 5th day. In general, the policy is that you can't use our funds to support your positions.

7) Only to be able to support the margin requirement on the position. We do allow customers to support margins with stock as collateral.

8) Your funds will be segregated at Berkeley and if we treat you as a private customer it is my understanding that you would have access to the Financial Services Compensation scheme which would cover you for up to a maximum of £48,000.
BerkeleyFutures is offline Broker   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Futures Account: RCG (Sweet Futures), Velocity, or Global? JangoFolly Brokerages 2 Feb 4, 2010 11:29pm
Berkeley Futures new I-Q trader Platform indexgold Brokerages 0 May 8, 2006 5:55pm
How long have oil futures had such a direct relationship on index futures? powerbook Futures & Options 3 May 16, 2005 5:58pm
forex.com / Berkeley FX zeeuk Forex 0 Aug 17, 2004 8:12pm
Berkeley Online FX dewbpy Forex 3 Aug 10, 2004 9:35pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)