APW Australia Portfolio Wines

This is a discussion on APW Australia Portfolio Wines within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; This company cold call potential clients with promises of annual gains on a portfolio of wine of up to 20%. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:45pm   #1

Joined May 2003
APW Australia Portfolio Wines

This company cold call potential clients with promises of annual gains on a portfolio of wine of up to 20%.

They base their pitch on the premise that it is only possible to produce a finite amount of fine wine i.e. 15,000 cases may be typical.

The fact that some of this fine wine is consumed ensures that the diminshing balance will increase in value ( true for some world renowned vintages - Grand Crus etc).

Does any one have experience of dealing with this company and if so what is your opinion?
warregui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:25pm   #2
TWI

Joined Jan 2004
A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines. This is a
pity, as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palette,
but also to the cognoscenti of Great Britain.

"Black Stump Bordeaux" is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured
Burgundy, whilst a good "Sydney Syrup" can rank with any of the world's
best sugary wines.

"Chateau Bleu", too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and
its lingering afterburn.

"Old Smokey, 1968" has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret,
whilst the Australian wino society thouroughly recommends a 1970 "Coq du
Rod Laver", which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule: 8 bottles
of this, and you're really finished -- at the opening of the Sydney
Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an
hour.

Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is "Perth Pink". This is a
bottle with a message in, and the message is BEWARE!. This is not a
wine for drinking -- this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.

Another good fighting wine is "Melbourne Old-and-Yellow", which is
particularly heavy, and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

Quite the reverse is true of "Chateau Chunder", which is an Appelachian
controle, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation -- a fine wine
which really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Real emetic fans will also go for a "Hobart Muddy", and a prize winning
"Cuiver Reserve Chateau Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga", which has a
bouquet like an aborigine's armpit.

~ Monty Python
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:05am   #3

Joined May 2003
warregui started this thread I am not disputing the quality of Aussie wines but whether or not this company are dealing in products in which it is possible to grow the initial investment, or are operating a 'boiler type scam.'
warregui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:08am   #4
TWI

Joined Jan 2004
Seriously, in cases such as this you have to assume scam unless proven innocent beyond all doubt. If it is a great money maker, why are they cold calling to get money from private investors? There are better ways to raise larger amounts of capital if you have a good business plan.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 1:49pm   #5

1 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
What are the current thoughts on the APW outfit?
gok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:51pm   #6
Joined Dec 2003
Suerly we must all have learned from the recent past.

Pretty much the whole of the investment community aren't to be trusted, and it doesn't matter if they're a billion £ bank or a 1 man band. They are (legal) crooks, (legal) shysters and will do anything to use our money to pay themselves first and if there's anything left over pay you the client.

Somebody calling suggesting that you can make around 20% a year on fine wine when global interest rates are around 1% - Yes, that sounds likely, plus of course they're cold calling - Mmmm, stangers calling me offering me extremly attractive rewards.......

However, the OP is doing the best thing possible, researching people who are after his money. Well done there warre.

The way forward for anyone from no on is to DON'T TRUST ANY FINANCIAL FIRM unless you have really done some hardcore research into who they are and what they're selling. Then when that's done do some more reseearch into what you're buying because there's a very good chance that they're (legally) setting you up.

A classic case in point is Standard Life's recent Cash Fund debacle. All the promo material was really heavy on the word 'cash', because that's what it said on the tin. But oh no, they had to try and be clever, taking the **** out of their clients so not all the money was invested into cash, part of it went to buying mortgage backed bonds!

The nerve of these people is unbelievable, especially as I would assume the majority of their clients were in the fund for safety plus the majority of them trusted the Standard Life name. And believe me this is not an isolated event, the Threadneedle Cash fund also did something similar.

So if we can't trust these big firms who can we trust?
anley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:17am   #7

1 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Why not check out who the registered owners are? I have heard a RUMOUR that the owner /s has been involved in previous scams.
Adriana Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:11am   #8
emm

2 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Re: APW Australia Portfolio Wines

Whatever you do do get involved with them, google them and you will find out more. I am trying to help some unhappy investors who got totally ripped off by them.

Wine is not a good long term investment at the moment, and has not been for some time, not improving either.

Emm

Quote:
Originally Posted by warregui View Post
This company cold call potential clients with promises of annual gains on a portfolio of wine of up to 20%.

They base their pitch on the premise that it is only possible to produce a finite amount of fine wine i.e. 15,000 cases may be typical.

The fact that some of this fine wine is consumed ensures that the diminshing balance will increase in value ( true for some world renowned vintages - Grand Crus etc).

Does any one have experience of dealing with this company and if so what is your opinion?
emm is offline   Reply With Quote