Problems in opening IB account

This is a discussion on Problems in opening IB account within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; I have encountered problems while trying to open a universal margin account for individuals. Each time during the Investment Experience ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:45pm   #1

Joined Jun 2003
Problems in opening IB account

I have encountered problems while trying to open a universal margin account for individuals. Each time during the Investment Experience stage, I am told that I do not have enough experience.

However, I say I have traded stocks, options and commodities 3, 1.5 and 2 years respectively, with trades per year amounting to 400, 150 and 300 respectively. I believe the experience is enough.

I wonder what I should do next? Thanks indeed.
clylbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:55pm   #2
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
From memory (and I could be wrong here) I think it has to be 2 years Min for every category

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:59pm   #3

Joined Jun 2003
clylbw started this thread Hi Paul,

Thanks indeed.

May I also ask which base currency I should choose for my account? As I live in the UK and trade the US market, should I choose USD or GBP as my base currency?
Old Jun 7, 2004, 1:20pm   #4
Joined Apr 2004
Gbp/usd

CLYLBW,

This is entirely up to you. Most UK customers trading US products have GBP accounts with us. However, if you wish to have a USD account you may.

Points to be aware of:

With a GBP account we effectively lend you the USD to trade USD products, as long as your Sterling balance at the days prevailing exch-rate is enough to cover the postion. As you build up USD profits you will see a USD and GBP component to your statement. If you have a negative USD balance you will be charged interest.

To withdraw USD profits you need to convert the USD back to GBP within the account. At this point we will charge a commission. There is no fee for providing the USD loan to facilitate USD trading.

If you would rather not convert currencies through IB you are free to open a USD account.

If you would like further information please feel free to contact me.

Gary Dibley

Interactive Brokers(U.K.) Limited
Regulated by FSA
Gary (IB Rep UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 1:38pm   #5

Joined Jun 2003
clylbw started this thread Hi Gary,

Many thanks indeed.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 1:46pm   #6

Joined Apr 2003
Hi Gary

From other posts on here I'd thought that a GBP account would hold profits in GBP as well as the initial balance. But in your post you state that profits / losses would still accrue in USD. I thought that a GBP account would protect you from FX rate movements, but from what you have said, you would be covered on the initial account balance but not on any profits made. Is this correct ?

Thanks

Stew
theknifemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 2:08pm   #7
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Lynn,

I would still go for GBP as base currency. If you had opened an account in USD last July then you would have lost nearly £3K in exchange rate differences and in the end you want your money in GBP. Of course it could have gone the other way. If you want some protection you can always convert half your account to USD which is inexpensive to do but I would still keep my base in GBP.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote