Will anything interesting happen over the next couple of trading days?

Are we going to get some crazy moves between now (22nd Dec) and the end of the year?

• yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
theEdge said:
With two days of closure (at Eurex, atleast), are we going to see some crazy moves?

Personally, I always get myself into cash and liquididate all my positions a week before Christmas.

Prices can become volatile and unpredictable around Christmas time in thin trading volume.

I won't be taking any new positions in the market until 3rd January onwards.

Thanks

Damian

I was planning to do the same. But got weak legs and went all in on some bund spreads on the close. Am very nervous now!!!!

What makes you say "unpredictable"? Do you normally find markets easy to predict? I prefer to think of the stuff I trade as spotting mistakes in the market.

Hi Edge,

If only markets were easy to predict! - the best a trader can hope for is to back his judgement sensibly and manage the position.

By "unpredictable" I meant that the additional volatility in the markets around the Christmas holiday period can make them even more difficult to predict than normal.

When you say that you went "all-in" on bunds, do you mean that you risked everything Texas Hold 'Em style?!

Thanks

Damian

If you trade US shares, there will certainly be at least a few good moves from Boxing Day through to the 29th. Not a huge number, but more than enough to pay for the costs of the season.
Why do I say that? I have traded full time for my family's living since 1999 and there has always been money to be made between Xmas and New Year.
Richard

I agree - but I always prefer to have a break and stay in cash over the Christmas period.

I think it's healthy to take a break from trading at the end of the year and spend some quality time with family during Christmas week.

Each to their own of course.

Thanks

Damian

Of course. each to their own.
However, I love what I do and derive a lot of satisfaction form re-joining my family on Boxing Day afternoon at 3.30 having just paid for Christmas in the previous hour.
But then I never leave positions open overnight, I'm too risk averse.
Richard

Anyway, Damian, I need the break of trading to get away from the in laws ;-)
Happy Holidays,
Richard