What are you reading now?

Sharky

Staff
Posing the question is a similar vain to What are you listening to now? and What are you watching now?

These days I spend a good chunk of my free time reading. It's mostly trading books, although I go through phases of reading programming and business books too. Novels don't get much of a look in, and the cooking and gardening even less so. I'm always on the look out for recommendations for new books; so hopefully this thread might uncover a few gems, trading or non-trading ones.

I'll get the ball rolling, with what came through the letter box today: The Short Book on Options.

I thought I'd pick up a copy, as it's a short book (well, we're all time poor, no?) and I'm enjoying currently reading Mark Wolfinger's Rookie's Guide to Options . It's a good primer for trading options. Some of it's a little repetitive but it progresses at a good pace, and there's plenty of practical tips on the trading side.

IMG_20190311_135742.jpg

Right now I am reading the complete Harry Potter saga, I am in the third book, I decided to read them because they told me that there are many details that do not appear in the movies and that certain doubts were going to clarify me with the original story.

Just got my nth joke collection, nice leather bound with a beautiful ribbon and carrying case .................

reading this one on page 6 now

A man saw a lady with big breasts. He asked, "Excuse me, can I bite your breasts for $1000?" She agrees, so they go to a secluded corner. She opens her blouse and the man puts his face in her breasts for 10 minutes." Eventually the lady asks, "Aren't you gonna bite them?" He replies, "No, it's too expensive."

Real Magic by Dean Radin.
fringey-science, but he takes a scientific route into understading ESP, altered states of consciousness, and the mind-body problem.

Yesterday, received my copy of Liber Null / Psychonaut by Peter J Carroll, a primer on Chaos Magick. A tad occulty.

Clenow's "Stocks on the move".
as soon as i code it up and test it, i'll share the results

Posing the question is a similar vain to What are you listening to now? and What are you watching now?

These days I spend a good chunk of my free time reading. It's mostly trading books, although I go through phases of reading programming and business books too. Novels don't get much of a look in, and the cooking and gardening even less so. I'm always on the look out for recommendations for new books; so hopefully this thread might uncover a few gems, trading or non-trading ones.

Trading in the zone

What with the net etc. I haven't read a good book for years.
In order not to state the obvious too much I find that authors often disappear the story into the religious/occult theme. Yawn !
Sheer laziness I know but do I really care what politicians have to say years after minor events ?
I find now I watch lots of TV. Documentaries are interesting and real life dramas like opal hunting/gold digging in Oz has it's ups and downs.How will Kelly escape bankruptcy. Will little Mary escape the clutches of big Ivy in storage wars etc.

Last edited:
Not related to trading though but i think its worth reading "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari".

23 Things They Don't Tell You about Capitalism, by Ha-Joon Chang.

Interesting and thought-provoking interpretations of perceived facts about economies, and what drives them.

Challenges notions about free markets; the Invisible Hand idea that people are driven by self-interest; the perceived importance of new technologies; theories about post-industrialism, etc.
Each "Thing" is just several pages, so light-touch exploration.
Nice read, and useful new perspectives.

Reading "Dual Momentum Investing" by Gary Antonacci and "Encyclopedia of Chart Patterns" Tom Bulkowski. Listen to "Chat with Traders" and "Trend Following Radio". Watch a lot of Tastytrade.

What with the net etc. I haven't read a good book for years.
In order not to state the obvious too much I find that authors often disappear the story into the religious/occult theme. Yawn !
Sheer laziness I know but do I really care what politicians have to say years after minor events ?
I find now I watch lots of TV. Documentaries are interesting and real life dramas like opal hunting/gold digging in Oz has it's ups and downs.How will Kelly escape bankruptcy. Will little Mary escape the clutches of big Ivy in storage wars etc.
Pat,

I know of some books that might be of interest to you. World famous atheist Tom Flynn has written a trilogy of science fiction books. The first two books “Galactic Rapture” and “Nothing Sacred” have been sitting on my bookshelves unread for about twelve years. I’m a good buyer of books but bad at setting aside the time to read them.

While I can’t give a recommendation until I read them, you may want to research reviews and descriptions of them online to see if they might interest you because he uses humor to mock religion which may peak your interest. The worst thing that can happen is you lose five to ten minutes of your time while researching them online.

Reading "Dual Momentum Investing" by Gary Antonacci and "Encyclopedia of Chart Patterns" Tom Bulkowski. Listen to "Chat with Traders" and "Trend Following Radio". Watch a lot of Tastytrade.
drcruz,

Please let me know what your opinion of " Dual Momentum Investing" is after you read it. Amazon has been suggesting it in their email ads to me for many months and am not sure if it's worth the time/money to get it.

drcruz,

Please let me know what your opinion of " Dual Momentum Investing" is after you read it. Amazon has been suggesting it in their email ads to me for many months and am not sure if it's worth the time/money to get it.
So far I am enjoying the book. I haven't reached the strategy part yet, the background is pretty interesting. Chapter 6 so far is the best chapter, basically comparing "every" market investment vehicle out there to the low cost SP-500 and Russell 2000 index funds (or I imagine ETFs). Short version is anything managed is sh!t (i.e., managed mutual funds, managed commodities funds, private equity funds, hedge funds), well may be not sh!t, but because of fees they do not perform as well as a passive index fund.
As for momentum vs. efficient markets. They actually are not 100% sure why markets trend, but they are basically saying that the heard moves the markets (I personally compare the market to wildebeests, like in "Lion King" 😁)
UPDATE:
Still haven't gotten to the strategy part yet, but I get the feeling the performance improvement is based on jumping out of the market and into more fixed income when the momentum tide settles

So far I am enjoying the book. I haven't reached the strategy part yet, the background is pretty interesting. Chapter 6 so far is the best chapter, basically comparing "every" market investment vehicle out there to the low cost SP-500 and Russell 2000 index funds (or I imagine ETFs). Short version is anything managed is sh!t (i.e., managed mutual funds, managed commodities funds, private equity funds, hedge funds), well may be not sh!t, but because of fees they do not perform as well as a passive index fund.
As for momentum vs. efficient markets. They actually are not 100% sure why markets trend, but they are basically saying that the heard moves the markets (I personally compare the market to wildebeests, like in "Lion King" 😁)
UPDATE:
Still haven't gotten to the strategy part yet, but I get the feeling the performance improvement is based on jumping out of the market and into more fixed income when the momentum tide settles
drcruz,

There’s also a book on momentum investing called:

Quantitative Momentum: A Practitioner’s Guide to Building a Momentum - Based Stock Selection System by Wesley R. Gray PhD and Jack R. Vogel. PhD.

By any chance have you read it? I’ve never purchased a book based on momentum and was wondering if one was better than the other.

drcruz,

There’s also a book on momentum investing called:

Quantitative Momentum: A Practitioner’s Guide to Building a Momentum - Based Stock Selection System by Wesley R. Gray PhD and Jack R. Vogel. PhD.

By any chance have you read it? I’ve never purchased a book based on momentum and was wondering if one was better than the other.
Gary Antonacci likes the book you mentioned, but I haven't purchased it

I also read a lot both finance and fiction books, now I am rereading The Dark Forest (The Three-Body Problem Series, 2) by Cixin Liu