What advice for going from SB to Futures?

Nowler

Experienced member
Hey folks!

What advice or tips would you give someone going from Spread betting to Futures?

Hi,
Are you familiar with Futures?
If no, start with the books, something like "Getting Started in Futures" or "The Complete Guide to Futures Trading".
Of cource, such books are form 1990s and there are lot of things like "call your broker", but the authors are real traders of that time.
There you can find the most important things about the market.

Hey mate,
Thanks for the reply.

It depends on what you mean by "familiar.
I trade via Spread betting, so I don't have an intimate familiarity with futures. But I am aware of it.

I check out the ratings of those books you mentioned.
Thanks

Hey folks!

What advice or tips would you give someone going from Spread betting to Futures?

Hello Nowler, if you are day trading you may as well stick to the SB... I spoke to a friend of mine some time ago about this, I said I'm going direct, he said "why ? you are trading the London hours, the price will be very close to dma"

He was right, but the main problems with SB are the various ways they yank your chain.....green screens....refer to dealing desk....unable to close out at the price I closed at..... price bar clearing (very annoying) etc....apart from that..cushdee !

Hello Nowler, if you are day trading you may as well stick to the SB... I spoke to a friend of mine some time ago about this, I said I'm going direct, he said "why ? you are trading the London hours, the price will be very close to dma"

He was right, but the main problems with SB are the various ways they yank your chain.....green screens....refer to dealing desk....unable to close out at the price I closed at..... price bar clearing (very annoying) etc....apart from that..cushdee !

Hello mate.
Thanks for the info.

Currently I am trading with a SB market maker. My trade durations are typically a few hours to a few days. I'll trade any of the major pairs really, but if it's a few hours trade then it's generally going to reflect those markets business hours. So being in the UK, I would likely place a trade on the NZD/USD later in the day/night as opposed to the open of the London session for example.

I would like to venture into Stock Indicies at some point, hence my interest in Futures.