Virtual Private Servers - to run EAs

Hi All,

Does / has anyone heard of or tried http://www.thinkforex.com?

They claim to offer free VPS hosting for MT4.

Stumbled on them as they are referenced in the Forex Morning Trade Manual.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
CS

my 1&1 keeps resetting.... just as well... as i missed out on some bad trades...,

my 1&1 keeps resetting.... just as well... as i missed out on some bad trades...,

MaxiV you should not put up with this!

VPS servers are supposed to be 24/7 with very high availability, that's what we're paying for.

Time to harass 1&1 support I reckon!

MaxiV you should not put up with this!

VPS servers are supposed to be 24/7 with very high availability, that's what we're paying for.

Time to harass 1&1 support I reckon!

I guess they good for website and email servers but not too good for what we need to do... may switch... whose best next....?

I've not had any trouble with 1&1, yet. Let us know how it goes with tech support.
Mine has been running 24/7 for the last 3 months with only a few manual reboots I did myself.

Email [email protected] that usually gets me a quick response to any issues.

Thanks for that guys... last time i emailed them a out MT4 on their server, they said that this is not what they usually do tech support for and that they couldn't help... i guess i can ask why my server keeps resetting every day for some reason... mybe i have tampered with some settings

(y) Thanks Mark, you sent it on 28/12 I think. It's been a bit of a difficult time so far, a lot of non-trading issues to sort since then.

Also spent 6 weeks trying to get results from AFFx before deciding there were too many problems, that's how I ended up with the new Mac.

I hope I can make some progress now, although am finding SLM Demo MT4 a bit hard to manager unless I check the settings every day before the trades start. :confused:

Refer to the VPN thread for my posts on VPSs and reliability/resilience.

It is possible to get MT4 running very reliably 24/7. I don't always get up in time to check mine now, but I know I can rely on it to place my trades.

Thanks GF, but I feel I shouldn't get too involved with VPS until I get some MT4 experience to start with - learning curve and all that. :confused:

Also, if it's not possible to run VPS without downloading anything, I may have a problem with Japanese machines anyway so I need to investigate more thoroughly once I understand EAs better. :(

I should be up at that time of the afternoon anyway! :LOL:

Last edited:

Same here. That I've missed bad trades is not much consolation as it could just as easily result in good tades being missed as well. I had the same problem with swtech so switched to 1&1 and if anythign , they seem even worse!

Same here. That I've missed bad trades is not much consolation as it could just as easily result in good tades being missed as well. I had the same problem with swtech so switched to 1&1 and if anythign , they seem even worse!

I had a lot of problems with SWTech initially but I complained to them and to be fair to them they identified the issues with a memory problem and replaced the RAM modules on the server. Since then my VPS has been rock-solid and SWTech also threw in a free month of hosting. So after a rubbish start I'm now pretty happy with SWTech.

Thanks for that guys... last time i emailed them a out MT4 on their server, they said that this is not what they usually do tech support for and that they couldn't help... i guess i can ask why my server keeps resetting every day for some reason... mybe i have tampered with some settings

I seem to recall mentioning a while back that 1 and 1 only offer Microsoft WEB edition 2008 server for that £19.99/month fee. I believe Enterprise edition is an extra £10 per month or similar.

It's my understanding that the WEB edition of 2008 server is only really suitable for hosting web apps, it's not really designed for hosting "full-blown" Windows apps like MT4.

I'd say that the reason you're having problems is fairly likely to be linked to the fact that you're trying to run MT4 on a WEB edition 2008 server. You need Enterprise edition ideally, or at least Standard edition.

I seem to recall mentioning a while back that 1 and 1 only offer Microsoft WEB edition 2008 server for that £19.99/month fee. I believe Enterprise edition is an extra £10 per month or similar.

It's my understanding that the WEB edition of 2008 server is only really suitable for hosting web apps, it's not really designed for hosting "full-blown" Windows apps like MT4.

I'd say that the reason you're having problems is fairly likely to be linked to the fact that you're trying to run MT4 on a WEB edition 2008 server. You need Enterprise edition ideally, or at least Standard edition.

Well i think i better change and look again.... what do you use (or suggest)?

Well i think i better change and look again.... what do you use (or suggest)?

Personally I use SWtech (Swtech.ie - UK OpenVZ, XEN, Linux, Windows VPS Servers) although it has not been a smooth ride.

I've now got everything set up and working very nicely indeed, although SWTech had to replace the memory chips in the server that hosts my VPS, because it kept randomly rebooting.

I've heard pretty good things about CNS (see above), although I haven't tried them myself.

I never really understood the attraction of paying for a vps if you have a PC at home. I left mine running during my 2 weeks holiday, EA running, switched off Vista auto updates and a few other things so it wouldn't need to reboot for anything and it did not miss a beat, It took all the trades it should have and automatically lossed me money overall while i relaxed by the pool daily! :LOL: :LOL: :mad: :(

M

I never really understood the attraction of paying for a vps if you have a PC at home. I left mine running during my 2 weeks holiday, EA running, switched off Vista auto updates and a few other things so it wouldn't need to reboot for anything and it did not miss a beat, It took all the trades it should have and automatically lossed me money overall while i relaxed by the pool daily! :LOL: :LOL: :mad: :(

M

Very true, but theres always the risk (no matter how small) that your PC could start an electrical fire while the house was unattended.

Very unlikely i know, but vps also have other benefits such as faster trade executions and pretty much zero maintenance.