using two monitors

RobcPettit

Hi, Ive set up two monitors using nvidia gfx5600 graphics card. Works fine, have them set to dual view. Can send one application to secondary screen while looking at another on the primary. My question is this, currently Im using sharescope and I like to pull up the graphs, start slide show in a loop and basically let it tick away. With one screen as soon as I use another application sharescope stops, understandable. So I thought Id put a second screen on and let it run on that one while working with metastock on another. But the same happens, as soon as I use another application sharescope slide show stops. Ive tried on both screens. Is it possible for me to have a slide show on one screen whilst using another screen. Stangely though I can run windows media on one screen and work on another.
Regards Robert

if u had the 1 screen, and ran windows media in the background, then it would continue running, whereas Sharescope wouldn't. Sharescope would only continue running if it had the "focus".
The 2 screens you have are like having 1 big screen.....

Talk to the Sharescope people and find out if there is a setting so that you can have it running even without it having "focus"...shouldn't be hard to do..if it doesn't have that functionality now, then they should easily be able to introduce it at the next release (assuming it is not available at the moment)...

Thanks for your replys, Emailling sharescope today. Also looking at alternative cards if not possible.
Regards Robert

Hi to all of you.
I just started to work with TFT monitor and I have big problem with my eyes if I spend lets say more than one hour in front of TFT. I have tried all predefined settings (“internet”text”entertain”and “custom”) but no one work for me. Could any body send his settings? My is in
Display Properties/settings:
-screen resolution 1024*728 (I have 17”)
-color quality medium 16 bit
In the menu (monitor “menu” baton/custom):
-brightness 20
-contrast 80
Any help would be appreciated.

Dont think you'll find this is possible, Eamonn. Laptops aren't exactly big on room for expansion, and the heat generated by such a card could prove a problem.

Thanks EK1 I have all ready tried that but still nothing better.
I also googl your VAIO problem but didn’t find any thing compatible for Sony

EK1 said:
Anyone know of a video card that can be installed into a laptop to enable more that one extra monitor. Had a "google" and found no such joy. :confused:

Laptop is a Sony Vaio.

TIA

In contrast to my earlier answer, do you think this might do the job? Anyone got any experience of this kind of device? Would it allow a laptop to run three screens (ie the laptop screen and two additional monitors)?

http://www.cooldrives.com/usb20svadfor.html

EDIT :

I've just written and asked the owners of that site if its suitable for the purpose. Will report back if/when I get an answer.

Maybe - but those guys won't ship internationally, and wouldn't tell me if it would actually do what I/we wanted it to do.

Hi everybody

On a related issue I want to buy a PCI Dual Graphic Card to enable me to run a second monitor with a possibility of a third in the future. I have found the below online at Ebuyer.com today. If anyone has purchased this model or manufacturer or indeed anything on Ebuyer.com can you please give me your opinion?

PNY Verto Geforce FX5200 PCI 128MB

I just need it to enable me to view alternative charting applications to those on my main monitor.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Smiley

smiley said:
Hi everybody

or indeed anything on Ebuyer.com can you please give me your opinion?

Smiley

I've used E-buyer a couple of times. Products have been good, and delivery very quick. On the occsions I've used them I've chosen the cheapest delivery option and they've "upgraded" it to a courier service.

As an aside, I looked for memory on E-buyer but found the menu to find what was required for my model was useless. crucial.com on the other hand was brilliant for this purpose and very quick.

GammaJammer said:
Looks like a great piece of kit though - I may have to get myself one next time I'm over there. And surely in any case there must be something similar here in the UK, even if it's not made by the same firm.

If you ever get any further info on it I'd apppreciate it greatly if you could let me know please Matt.

Cheers

GJ

Apparently, these guys will ship the item to the UK. Overseas Shipping

Tiger Direct

Let us know how you get on if you decide to buy one, won't you?

I use a laptop and secondary monitor. When I go out ,away from the screens (say 20 mins) but leave the charts running, the screens will go blank . I come back, wiggle the mouse and the screens come up .
Very occasionally the secondary monitor will not light up again. The only way i can fix it is to restart the computer. Why is this please

Go to Control Panel --> Power Options.

In there you can configure when the lappie goes to standby, shuts the monitor off etc.