Trading other people's money

What is the equivalent of a CTA in the UK? Does it exist at all or do they call themselves hedge funds? Do you have to be registered to manage your family- in a broad sense- money?

hedge fund manager = CTA in the UK. You don't need to be registered to manage family money.

Hedge fund is a catch all denomination, does that mean that in the UK, funds which trade exclusively commodities are not distinguished from those which may trade individual stocks? How many of those commodity funds operate in the UK?

Hedge Fund is a very artificial term, referring to any kind of unregulated investment vehicle. There are of course hedge funds out there that do nothing but invest in commodities (but then how do you define commodities??).

Can you avoid registration for managing money for friends and family if you charge them a fee?

Where does individual 'Power of Attorney' accounts traded by an individual fit in the FSA regulations — if at all ?

Rainmaker (or anyone else :)

Do you know any more or know where one can find out more about the exception you talked about above

as in " private investment fund with 50 members or less " ?

thanks in advance

Peter

Rainmaker (or anyone else :)

Do you know any more or know where one can find out more about the exception you talked about above

as in " private investment fund with 50 members or less " ?

thanks in advance

Peter

Did you find the answer to this question? I am interested in this.

I am loathe to put responses on the board here, as it reflects my (and my lawyer/accountant's) view of the regulations. PM me with an email address and I will gladly share my research. BTW some of the rules have changed since some of the earlier posts. Do also bear in mind the tax side of things as well.