Trading with Mobile Broadband on trains

SilverSniper

I'm looking to commute into London to trade from an office and was wondering if it is possible to trade on the 40-45 minute train ride using a mobile broadband connection? Im a day trader looking to put on positions that can hold from 20 minutes to the whole day. Im not looking to be active on my morning train journeys but just want to make sure I do not miss trades that hit strong levels during the commute (btween 7-8am UK time). Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

I frequently travel the length and breadth of the country, I use a dongle in my laptop for trading, works ok. Its on the "3" network. The only difference being, im always stationary when using it, not travelling at 100mph + and through tunnels. I wouldn't like the connection to drop off if a trade decided to tank.

I frequently travel the length and breadth of the country, I use a dongle in my laptop for trading, works ok. Its on the "3" network. The only difference being, im always stationary when using it, not travelling at 100mph + and through tunnels. I wouldn't like the connection to drop off if a trade decided to tank.

Thanks for the reply. I guess my concern is that you can't really control for it should the trade decide to tank and you end up going...say, into a tunnel (obviously hard stops should be a given here). Or if the market is about to hit a strong level that you want to enter but you don't happen to be stationary.

I understand you're gonna get disruptions to the connection, but just exactly how reliable can a dongle be for the purpose of lower timeframe trading (but not as low a timeframe as scalping)?

I buy mine from ebay,A pre-loaded dongle with 3gb of data on a pay as you go. that seems to be the cheapest option, then when it runs out, bin it and get another one. I think i pay around 12 to £15 for one. For that price you try it out on a demo on the train.

I buy mine from ebay,A pre-loaded dongle with 3gb of data on a pay as you go. that seems to be the cheapest option, then when it runs out, bin it and get another one. I think i pay around 12 to £15 for one. For that price you try it out on a demo on the train.

Yeah good call. thanks.

I'm looking to commute into London to trade from an office and was wondering if it is possible to trade on the 40-45 minute train ride using a mobile broadband connection? Im a day trader looking to put on positions that can hold from 20 minutes to the whole day. Im not looking to be active on my morning train journeys but just want to make sure I do not miss trades that hit strong levels during the commute (btween 7-8am UK time). Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Be very careful with this, the bomb out rate will be pretty high. Why not just use a set and forget strategy? No interference from tunnels, or increase in bandwidth use due to built up areas etc. :smart::smart:

May be a stupid idea.

Generally mobile trading works. High speed moving though does sometimes ****ty things to your connection during handovers between towers. Make sure that is ok on your line - otherwise you may be in for a world of pain when connections go down in bad moments.