Traders from Australia?

Hi,
Anyone in Cairns. I have started a small group who trade options and CFD's. If you interested in coming along some time or would like contacts. Please feel free to contact me.
Regards
Mark

Introducing myself...

I am a relative newbie part time trader. Been trading for about a year, and losing money for about a year... Have been to a few training courses in the UK last year by WIN Investing (I moved back to Australia from the UK in Sept 07). I have been trading UK shares in the evenings because the time zone difference makes this easier. Have also dabbled in spreadbetting on currencies and indices. Have made some nice wins, only to be stung by bigger losses.

In the past few weeks I have been using trend lines on the RSI to try to time my share purchases, and it seems to work for a few days, and then the share still falls over and I lose my money. I know it doesn't help that the FTSE is spiralling downwards at present, but I have been looking in the sectors that are rising or turning upwards. My main sharetrading account is with Barclays stockbrokers UK, and it only allows long trades (can't go short). I also have two spreadbetting accounts, one with IGINDEX and the other with GFTUK.

I hope I can lear enough to start keeping afloat before all my money disappears...

Chris, based in Brisbane, Australia.:cry:

I am a relative newbie part time trader. Been trading for about a year, and losing money for about a year... Have been to a few training courses in the UK last year by WIN Investing (I moved back to Australia from the UK in Sept 07). I have been trading UK shares in the evenings because the time zone difference makes this easier. Have also dabbled in spreadbetting on currencies and indices. Have made some nice wins, only to be stung by bigger losses.

In the past few weeks I have been using trend lines on the RSI to try to time my share purchases, and it seems to work for a few days, and then the share still falls over and I lose my money. I know it doesn't help that the FTSE is spiralling downwards at present, but I have been looking in the sectors that are rising or turning upwards. My main sharetrading account is with Barclays stockbrokers UK, and it only allows long trades (can't go short). I also have two spreadbetting accounts, one with IGINDEX and the other with GFTUK.

I hope I can lear enough to start keeping afloat before all my money disappears...

Chris, based in Brisbane, Australia.:cry:

Hi... you sound in a similar position to me!! I am interested in SB from Australia (having come over from UK) but only can see CFD trading platforms on offer here. Because of the leverage (and potential losses) I have so far hesitated trading CFD live and been doing demo. I would prefer to SB at this stage due to limited risk and small stakes - any advice on how to do this? You can PM me if you want.

Best,
Swissy

Hi... you sound in a similar position to me!! I am interested in SB from Australia (having come over from UK) but only can see CFD trading platforms on offer here. Because of the leverage (and potential losses) I have so far hesitated trading CFD live and been doing demo. I would prefer to SB at this stage due to limited risk and small stakes - any advice on how to do this? You can PM me if you want.

Best,
Swissy

Swiss,

I may be wrong here but my understanding what that Spreadbetting wasn't allowed in Australia, hence the focus on CFD trading.

Do you still have friends & family in UK and how long have you been over here in Oz?

Feel free to PM if you'd rather not post on here.....

PS. The reasoning for the question is that you "could" still apply for a SB account using a member of your family / a good friend as a postal address

Last edited:

Best,
Swissy

I think you need to have a UK address to be able to spreadbet. However, I rang IGINDEX the other day and they said they have lots of Australian clients who do spreadbetting. Try ringing them and see what they say. IGINDEX have nice graphs anda new system which will place a bet for you if a price OR and indicator breaks a trend line. I haven't been game to try this out yet because I have lost too much real money in my IGINDEX account and you can't use that feature to trade their virtual account... However, I am using those graphs to set up alerts for me. They do SMS alerts too, but only to a UK mobile number. GFTUK has alerts if a price or indicator trendline is broken and will SMS a number anywhere in the world. GFTUK also have a "proper" order system where you can place a stop to buy or sell at a given price and have an already attached trailing and fixed stop. The IGINDEX order to open does not include a trailing stop, only a fixed stop.

Good Luck, Chris

Chris and Chorlton,

Thank you for your kind help. I checked with IG Index - yes they do spreadbet in Australia! having said that the bloke went onto say that most people did not use spreadbetting but CFD's as you there are no tax advantages to spreadbetting in Aus (unlike UK you still have to pay tax on your gains).

I went onto say that I wanted to SB to limit my risk at this stage as a learner and he understood where I was coming from (min stake size $2 on FTSE100). Having said that they don't give you the "tradesense" package on SB (in Aus) but they do on CFDs. Tradesense has to be used when you open your CFD account and cannot be deferred to a time to suit you. As I am quite busy with my day job I would prefer to start with SB and maybe then "graduate" to CFDs with Tradesense for starters.

Thanks Again,

Swissy

hey guys i am in the geelong area,trade futures and fx love to start up a trading office somewhere for private traders
john

Only just stumbled across this thread, interesting.

I'm the charting guru from hell, its a hobby i guess.
I specialize in US commodities, currencies and worldwide indices, on a eod basis for the most part.

My track record is impeccable, to bad i cant actually do the work of trading, just to much stress for me, i suck at that aspect. But, if anyone needs some ideas, happy to try and help, if your looking for a bit more "punch" in your strategem.

hi acronym,
do you want to start a thread with a different title to discuss that? I've definitely got a few questions for you but i'm feeling very un-Australian posting on the end of this thread.

hi acronym,
do you want to start a thread with a different title to discuss that? I've definitely got a few questions for you but i'm feeling very un-Australian posting on the end of this thread.

Kinda been done, not everyone may agree with my pearls of wisdom anyway,but happy to help if possible. You have pm's disabled?

yes, what's wrong with public messages? i don't do secret squirrel stuff. just start a thread if you want to. if it's been done before, nobody's going to hang you for it.

yes, what's wrong with public messages? i don't do secret squirrel stuff. just start a thread if you want to. if it's been done before, nobody's going to hang you for it.

Well that's right, i just figured if you had specific questions, i may or may not be able to help, consequently my starting a thread could well be redundant. If a person doesn't know what the questions are, how can they know the answer? I figured a pm could quickly establish that, is all. The obvious solution is for you to start a thread, they are your questions after all, more ideas, more eyeballs=good?
No secret squirrel or holy grail stuff involved, lol, maybe the *punch* comment was a bit much:cheesy: Rats, now this thread has gone OT.

Hi Guys!

My name is Jay and I'm on the Gold Coast. I'm keen to expand my network of traders as it is very limited. Would love to have chat about the markets. I'm interested in all things trading. And i'm longing for the day I can trade full time.

MSN & Hotmail: [email protected]

Gold Coast. Day trader. AsiaPac futures.

Hey Nine,

I noticed you were trading out of the gold coast. I live on the gold coast too and I'm keen to get my feet wet in the futures market. What market do you suggest for this time slot? I work full time currently. The US futures are a bit too early no? I'm currently back testing with sierra charts with infinity futures platform & data.

Love to hear from you when you get the chance.

Cheers

JWG