$TICK, and $TICKQ

jjames69

i use $TICK, and $TICKQ for daytrading(nasdaq and nyse tick statistics). i have three different sources for charting (scottrade, mb trading, stockcharts.com). i notice the charts for $TICK, and $TICKQ, both daily and intraday, are a little different from each source. each chart is similiar in trends and nature, but the closing numbers do not match.

does anydody know why this is?

Last edited:
No two feeds are ever perfectly in sync, especially at tick level.
Reasons are brokers with different feed suppliers, broker deliberately
introducing slight manipulation (usually tick level smoothing).
Latency can also be a reason, think of distance from feed supply > broker > retail client.

Not much you can do about it anyway.
Not unless you have a direct connection to the exchange (i.e institutional only).
Its not an issue unless you are a hardcore scalper (within spread), and if you are,
a retail platform, retail feed and retail connection is putting you at
the back of the queue.
If the above doesn't apply, don't worry about it, awareness is enough.

thanks, sounds reasonable. i'm trading chart patterns in the qqq's on a 1 min and 5 min bar chart. the $tickq charts from each source are basically telling me the same thing, although the closing points are different for each. i guess they're good then.

Hi jj,
I agree with L_V.
If you want/need a really fast tick by tick feed - then I suggest you subscribe to DTN.IQ or something similar - plus a software package that can display the data in a timely fashion. (I've used DTN.IQ in conjunction with InvestorRT in the past. Very good it was too.) Now, like you, I use StockCharts and, although it's slower, it's fine for intra-day swing trading purposes (i.e. not scalping). If you fancy swapping notes, send me a PM with a link to your StockCharts page (plus attributes) and I'll respond in kind. Not that there's anything very special about my setup! ;)
Cheers,
Tim.

Hi jj,
I agree with L_V.
If you want/need a really fast tick by tick feed - then I suggest you subscribe to DTN.IQ or something similar - plus a software package that can display the data in a timely fashion. (I've used DTN.IQ in conjunction with InvestorRT in the past. Very good it was too.) Now, like you, I use StockCharts and, although it's slower, it's fine for intra-day swing trading purposes (i.e. not scalping). If you fancy swapping notes, send me a PM with a link to your StockCharts page (plus attributes) and I'll respond in kind. Not that there's anything very special about my setup! ;)
Cheers,
Tim.

i was penalized today by a forum mod for posting, so i could meet the minimum number of posts required to answer your private message. the mod wrote, one line posts are not allowed.

geez

Last edited:
the mod wrote, one line posts are not allowed.

This is misleading and not the case as the occasional one line post is fine. What was written was:

Posting lots of one line rubbish is not permitted

The reason you got the infraction was because it was reported by others and you had done exactly as described.

The reference point for this is the T2W FAQ Posting Guidelines which are found here on this link
Posting Threads

Scroll to the section headed "How to use the forums" and please note that item 1.4 states
1.4 Don't post just to increase your post count.

However, your point about 15 posts being needed to send a PM is taken and maybe it should be reviewed.

Last edited:
This is misleading and not the case as the occasional one line post is fine. What was written was:

The reason you got the infraction was because it was reported by others and you had done exactly as described.

The reference point for this is the T2W FAQ Posting Guidelines which are found here on this link
Posting Threads

Scroll to the section headed "How to use the forums" and please note that item 1.4 states

However, your point about 15 posts being needed to send a PM is taken and maybe it should be reviewed.

i've scrolled up and down and see no "how to use these forums" section.

please post a link to whatever policy you claim i've violated, as you should have done in the first place.

i've written nothing inappropriate or offensive. and i seriously doubt anybody complained about my posts.

simply calling something "rubbish" is merely a baseless opinion, and is, frankly, offensive. i would appreciate you being a little more specific on what policy i've violated, and indicating how i violated it.

sharky has forwarded you my appeal/complaint. please address it in a professional manner.

and fyi: i trade for a living and have little doubt i've been trading since you were crawdad bait, son.

Last edited:
The policy is listed on the link provided above so please click here to see it again: It starts with "Community Constitution" then if you scroll down it comes to "How to use the forums". I attach a screenshot of where it is found.

It was complained about and I will even give you more details by PM if you wish. Multiple quick posting to get post count up has become a recent feature and we get a lot of it and so members reporting it. This violates 1.4 of Posting Threads as stated above and now with a screenshot showing you.

Here is a list of the posts you made with each line being a new post:

do you still have TA of the currency market? where are you located?

i'm using mb trading. no problems so far.

i do. i trade from a roth ira.

sometimes it seems like it.

usually 1 or 2 for me. i just trade the qqq's. like to focus

i sent a chart earlier. don't believe you can link to a page.

trade with technical analysis or not at all. and its easy.

get a job trading? easy just hire yourself

why not trade the nasdaq?

i like the mccellan oscilator

no, design your system.

yes, i am. i might be interested

open a demo account

scottrade

trading is easy

nice chart

agreed

cash works

profound

agreed

12 of these posts were made in under 22 minutes and another 10 posts were made in 8 minutes.

I hope you can maybe see why it was reported and why it looked like you were posting just to get post count up and why members may not have viewed the above posts made as being of particular value.

Attachments

• Image1.gif
    Image1.gif
    15.4 KB · Views: 390
Last edited: