Swing Trading by Rivalland

DaveJB said:
For Helen, I'v ealmost finished Elder's 'Come Into My Trading Room' - now THAT is much better, chuck Tharp and read Elder, much less psychobabble!
Dave
;-)

Yep great book, obviously written by someone who's been there done it :)

Tomorton,
sounds like you're not 'the type' to use Hottrader perhaps, not a slur - I mean you sound more the DIY type. There's a free program at www.gannalyst.com ... a 'lite' package that isn't imo as good, but the price is zero which kind of helps ;-)
... if you fancied a look at this stuff, as I remember that freebie has some interesting info in the help, if anyone is new to swing charts etc and wants a quick look at them.
Helen, possibly - I suspect it was determination more than anything else that settled the future for Dr Elder. His book is much more a case of 'do this, do that, multiply this' - what I hated about Tharp is that the first half was spent leading up to what I got out of Elder, while Tharp just drifted off. More introspective than a DIY Endoscope kit in my never humble opinion. The reason you lose money is because the price goes the wrong way - I am sure some people then compound the error by not exiting, I just thought he dragged that out about 100 pages too far.
Elder, on the other hand, gives practical advice - some of it pants no doubt - but even a simple idea like the A,B, C trader one... simple, and yet probably of great use to the majority - here's a way to rate your trading performance - how many people have trouble with that? I think the book was worth it for that alone almost (mind you, I did get it very cheap <g>)
You DO have to admire him for his self opinion though, I absolutely chortled every time I read about his wonderful force index etc and how we'd all be rushing to program it into our programs... modest little chap, isn't he?
Dave

DaveJB
When I DIY, I make a mess of it so am trying to follow the well-used rules a bit more carefully in future. As part of which I have ordered The Master Swing Trader by Alan Farley and hope to sdee it arrive in the morning.
Cheers.

No probs.
The gannalyst lite isn't bad, dunno about you I just don't seem to have the time to mess with stuff these days so although it looked okay I passed it by... BUT it did Gann charts etc for free, and if you are trying ideas out etc that's as cheap as it gets. I was very lucky and got a free Hottrader, which honestly seems a better program than the gannalyst paid for version, but I reckon either one would be okay IF you wanted a program to draw the Gann 'skyscraper' charts for you - from playing with HT I'm pretty sure that I'd be happy finding trades with it if so inclined.
I used to dream about decent software, now I've loads and no time to run it... one day....
Dave