Staying under the radar

D

Dowser

Hi, I been Spread betting US30 for a couple of years and have started to make regular profits. I've only been trading £1/pt because I thought the money was a distraction, but now i think I'm ready to start compounding my account. My risk on each trade is £10 which is much less than 1% of my capital. My question is at what point do spread betting companies start to take notice of successful clients in terms of position size. I'm guessing anything under £10/pt is small change for them. My trades generally last from 15 minutes to 2 hours so I don't think they could accuse me of scalping!

Cheers

Chris

Hi, I been Spread betting US30 for a couple of years and have started to make regular profits. I've only been trading £1/pt because I thought the money was a distraction, but now i think I'm ready to start compounding my account. My risk on each trade is £10 which is much less than 1% of my capital. My question is at what point do spread betting companies start to take notice of successful clients in terms of position size. I'm guessing anything under £10/pt is small change for them. My trades generally last from 15 minutes to 2 hours so I don't think they could accuse me of scalping!

Cheers

Chris

Hi there,

Quite aside from the point that there are certain advantages to spread betting, which when one consistently wins more than loses, begin to make sense... alas (...sigh) & OTOH, you may not need to break out the champagne just yet. You have to bear in mind, with all respect, that anyone can have a good streak - and these can last several months - cruelly catching the unwary when reality bites back. Nonetheless, it's arguable that the s/b co will have, and should continue to have no problems with you on the info you've given.

Sadly, it's far more likely than not, that what you've been doing recently just happens to be suiting current market conditions, rather than that you've finally cracked how to make consistent money from spread betting. This poster doesn't wish to put a dampener on those good vibes, but most would arguably agree that consistent success is measured in years rather than months, nor weeks - for that matter. I still wish you every success.

Best case scenario is that if you do happen to become consistently successful over years, you'll then make it into 'A' book, and again the SB co should have no issues with you, as then your bets will be mirrored on the wider market. But, again, from what you've written, it seems that that is still some time away yet. Enjoy - but don't make any plans to give up the dayjob just yet! HTH

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, is your strategy self adaptive.

Cheers

Chris
a 10 point stop on the dow ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:eek:

yep, I found that extraordinary too, but then again, it's not exactly impossible to make at least some consistent returns with such a strategy.

Still, bizarre as it may be, *if* the OP ever manages to return a (cough) *consistent* winning strategy using such an incredibly slim stop loss, he really should be more concerned with arranging publishing deals, seminars and the like in years to come. But somehow...

@ sonicshooter - it's submitted that in this particular instance the alleged 'sceptics' are taking the side of reality m'lud.

@ sonicshooter - it's submitted that in this particular instance the alleged 'sceptics' are taking the side of reality m'lud.

I'd be more impressed if you had the gumption to simply ask the bloke....i know several traders, fulltime who have closer stops than i do, and i simply can't match them.........conclusion, because you are incapable of something doesn't mean someone else can't do it.

Hey, this is T2W the home of the "i can't so nobody can" club.

Rhetorical question: ahhhh but why would *I* ask him, when you already have???

I.e.,

Soncishooter asks: "Hi Chris, is your strategy self adaptive"

What's more, when you say this; "conclusion, because you are incapable of something doesn't mean someone else can't do it." touché old boy, touché - but it's not just me, you'll find! You should perhaps consider that there are also no known professional others who have returned worthwhile yearly and consistent returns using such a tiny stop loss on the Dow. Ergo, it is not sceptical to imply it can't be done. Nor is it putting him down. It is, and remains, realistic - at least until the contrary is established.

Meanwhile perhaps he'll be good enough to let you know how it is done, seeing as you asked, and then the last laugh just might be yours. And more power to you both, if he somehow really has discovered the 'holy grail of spreadbetting': i.e., consistent, worthwhile yearly returns with the tiniest of risk.

Like i mentioned in a post to Jeffry4, i tend to only visit this site around once every 3 months, simply because wading through the ******s is too laborious.

I shan't bother replying to your next inept post, as this will be yet another dead thread.

Rhetorical question: ahhhh but why would *I* ask him, when you already have???

I.e.,

Soncishooter asks: "Hi Chris, is your strategy self adaptive"

What's more, when you say this; "conclusion, because you are incapable of something doesn't mean someone else can't do it." touché old boy, touché - but it's not just me, you'll find! You should perhaps consider that there are also no known professional others who have returned worthwhile yearly and consistent returns using such a tiny stop loss on the Dow. Ergo, it is not sceptical to imply it can't be done. Nor is it putting him down. It is, and remains, realistic - at least until the contrary is established.

Meanwhile perhaps he'll be good enough to let you know how it is done, seeing as you asked, and then the last laugh just might be yours. And more power to you both, if he somehow really has discovered the 'holy grail of spreadbetting': i.e., consistent, worthwhile yearly returns with the tiniest of risk.

Where did i ask him about stops..........

Maybe you could start a T2W "Can't read, can't think" Club

Cheers

Chris

If your strategy relies on 'non slipped fills' via stop or market orders to be profitable, then at some point youll be noticed, and most likely given more 'realistic' fills.
Thats about it. Theres a whole lot of misconception of how SBs etc see punters. Have a read of Other Side of the Screen. Itll help you understand A book vs B book and give their view of us.

Last edited:
@ sonicshooter - tut tut, now you're twisting my words. I'm aware that anyone who is smart enough can see that, and that's all I need to know about you.

Meanwhile I'd say "1,371 posts since January 2014" says more about you, than it does about what you've contributed to this site to date. That is, if people are in any doubt as to who is capable of thinking around here... ;-)

Trade futures. Why do you need a bucket shop?

Well, imhumbleo, you get a better deal,,, sometimes :p. Also, if your methods requires multiple units then theres divisibility.

If youre getting into Fdax and SBs dax at limit 50, and ya get filled at 50 and 48.3 , then ya got a better deal with the SB.

If someone wants to sling a 100 units around, they can size down to squat diddly per unit with an SB. Goto have some coin to be doin that in Fdax :p

I dunno what the dealio is with a 10pt stop in dow. Way back in my stop using days I was using 1.5pts stops in a spazzing dax with -----------.

Stop to enter with PnC stop exit, move to BE asap like a good trader should. I was the b0ll0cks!!!! Until they started giving me their LPs pricing :p

Its a shame i didnt record the conversation I had with the desk when I rang up to ask what go on, cos then i could have played it to the dude on here who generously mirrored one of my orders to check pricing, then he could have LOLd when I linked him to the recording I didnt make and upload. :cheesy:

Cheers

Chris

I read once, on this site, that no notice is taken until over £25. However, once sure of yourself, even if you are happy where you are, it is good to look around so that you can move quickly if you feel the need.

I read once, on this site, that no notice is taken until over £25. However, once sure of yourself, even if you are happy where you are, it is good to look around so that you can move quickly if you feel the need.

I was noticed at around 8ppp split.