Spread Betting vs CFD Trading reviews

Sharim

53 4
No problem at all. I know how annoying bots can be. In my experience I've been nearly banned at 2 other communities for mentioning Larry Williams trading strategies (cause you can actually subscribe to follow them) and for mentioning Tim Morge, who used to trade for Federal Reserve but unfortunately for me runs paid trading courses. Hope mentioning these two names won't lead to the same result at this forum :)

Reactions: tomorton

Nuadarne

85 10
Ahaha, I understand you so well. Tried walking in those shoes before :) I agree it can be annoying so we shouldn’t really complain. Forums with no moderation or some light-moderation are inevitably tuning into a toxic dump sooner or later.
By the way, from what you said, it sounds like you’ve been collecting the pieces of the map leading to the holy grail of trading. Just curious what would be the most interesting idea you’ve heard from Mr. Morge or Williams? I’m asking this question everyone. No intention to find out any personal strategy secrets.

Sharim

53 4
Hmm, that’s an interesting question indeed. It’s difficult to point out just one thing. Moreover these two guys have very different approach to market. Williams uses automated strategies. Morge is a discrete trader and I remember he mentioned that he couldn’t automate the strategy even though best developers were at his service. But the most important thing that I learned from both is.. that :
No seeking, nothing finding
A rolling stone gathers no moss
Used to think these two proverbs were very controversial. Learning from these two traders helped me find the balance.

Sharim

53 4
:) Trader has to find the balance between a constant search of new strategies and how to improve them and necessity to stick firm to one trading system and trade accordingly. In the context of this thread I’d say that if you worked hard on your forex strategy and found the results to be satisfactory, you’ll need to think twice before you open a spread-betting account.
For example, out of 2000+ CFDs that Trade.com provides access to, I’ve chosen only about a dozen that I really watch and I regularly trade only 3-4 assets. Do I have a temptation to have a look at all the instruments they have now with DMA accounts? Yes, sure. Do I do that? No, not yet. Currently my CFD trading works good enough but still can be improved. So I choose to stick to my CFD strategy and keep working on it. Cause a rolling stone gathers no moss. On the other hand, I can’t leave the strategy as it is now, because market is constantly changing and I have to find out how. No seek, no find.

Sharim

53 4
I'm a professional gambler but I don't know about trading. What I only know about trading is that it is a very volatile market
I used to think that “gambler” is a trait of character, not a profession )) Unless you play poker, where math comes in.
Yeah, markets are volatile now. So volatile, that we’ve all become more of professional gamblers here. Negative prices on oil, oh my! Who would ever know! I’m afraid that now some CME traders regret they’ve chosen this “reliable and respectful” exchange to trade there. Finally DD brokers with neg balance protection have got some competitive advantage, lol

Akinozragore

114 7
:D That's a funny joke. Competitive advantage of a dealing desk broker... :)
I don't think that many people have suffered or went negative because of that issue with oil futures. It was an expiring contract with very little volume in there. Futures traders don't really trade them on the expiration date and roll to the next one in advance, as soon as volumes get bigger there. And volatility is always an opportunity for those who can manage risks properly.
It would be a mistake to think that regulated entities like Chicago Exchange and thier supervisors didn't think of possible ouotcomes and solutions to those.

Sharim

53 4
Oh no, this broker is not standing on the other side of the deal that you do. They even offer a DMA access via IB just in case you might be interested. No, they are professional players.
I generally agree with what was said above, professionals still have enough advantages. But the more risky derivatives emerge on the market, the more difficult it is for them to take care of al the risks including the black swans that no one can really manage.
We don't only trade volatile markets now. These are the volatile times that we all face.

Mirardana

42 2
Thanks indeed for the answer. To tell the truth I’m not that aware of the advantages that DMA can give, just wanted to know if this broker sends the orders to the real market or “settles” the orders internally. You don’t trade yourself with DMA account, do you?

Sharim

53 4
Yeah, I keep using the standard one for CFD trading. The advantage of DMA is that they can offer slightly better spreads and I’ve head executions are faster, so that results in less slippages. In other words market executions are done at a price that is closer to the price where you’ve made the decision and pressed the buy or sell button. For intraday traders that can matter.
The disadvantage is that you have to use the IB trading platform (meaning you have to learn to use it). And the last but not the least, DMA is available for accounts above 5K only. So I’ll pass for now.

SpotA

1 0
It seems to me that betting on SB is much easier to make, because they are the simplest of all known. Two years ago I started betting on sports and met many bookmakers, many of them are charlatans, but I managed to find great Bet at CentSports.com which I still work with, because reliability and honesty are their main advantages. In General, I did not trust such offices before, but when I met these guys, I realized that my money is insured and I can use it at any time, as well as multiply it

Last edited:

Nuadarne

85 10
Yeah, I keep using the standard one for CFD trading. The advantage of DMA is that they can offer slightly better spreads and I’ve head executions are faster, so that results in less slippages. In other words market executions are done at a price that is closer to the price where you’ve made the decision and pressed the buy or sell button. For intraday traders that can matter.
The disadvantage is that you have to use the IB trading platform (meaning you have to learn to use it). And the last but not the least, DMA is available for accounts above 5K only. So I’ll pass for now.
Interesting to know. Better executions matter for everyone, not just daytraders. You can’t imagine how thin the line can be that divides trading in red and black. The size of the spread and the impact of slippage should not be underestimated.

Mirardana

42 2
Got you, thanks once again. No, I don’t think DMA lies in the sphere of my direct interest. I’m interested in swing trading and perhaps longer-term deals. The variety of the offered assets and the general reliability of the brokerage matter to me. I want the broker to be there in half a year, in a year, and hopefully in a decade. So I’m only considering the long-term players, not the best trading fees that many one-night-stand brokers offer.

Sharim

53 4
I understand. Well, in this case you should be looking for a brokerage with an over-decade in-the-game history. If the broker survived 2008 at least, the experience can probably be extrapolated to the future. There are some in the industry, but most of them charge bigger trading fees unfortunately ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock