Rugby, one ball, two different codes, which do you prefer?

Which code of Rugby do you prefer?

• Rugby League

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Rugby Union

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Both codes of Rugby are equally enjoyable

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • I don't like either code of rugby

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

JTrader

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rugby_league
The history of rugby league began with the schism of 1895 in the sport of Rugby football. There are now two forms of "rugby": rugby league and rugby union. Although similar, they have different laws and governing bodies. The disagreement that lead to the split was over the issue of "broken time" payments, and first came to a head in northern England in the late nineteenth century....................

In 1995 Rugby Union joined Rugby League as a fully professional sport.

Which code of rugby do you prefer?

Note: This poll is not scientific!

I like the spectacle of international Rugby Union, with the big stadiums/crowds, brass bands etc.

IMO International Rugby league games/tournaments seem to have less meaning than in rugby union.

On the other hand, I like watching Rugby league club games eg. St. Helens v Bradford.

I'd struggle to watch eg. Leicester v Northampton in club RU.

I also like RL Super League cheerleaders ;) .

In terms of skill, athleticism, professionalism, both codes seem to be on a par with each other IMO.

Therefore I probably favour RL club rugby, & RU international rugby games.

Used to always play RL at school, never RU.

Last edited:
i was invited last night to watch the live broadcast of the final "State of Origin" RL clash between Queensland and NSW. I didn't know much about it at first but learned that it's an annual three-match test over 6 weeks between the big 2 RL states in Oz.
Going into last night's game QLD were 2 nil up so NSW were playing for pride. most of the ozzie guys I was watching with were supporting QLD, so just to be awkward and to support the under-dog I was cheering for NSW.(who went on to win, preventing the whitewash)
Given that I am a big football (soccer) fan with RU a close second, I have to say that the game last night was SIMPLY THE BEST team ball event of any code that I have ever witnessed. the passion, pace, aggression, skills were all a joy to behold.
I for one will be waiting impatiently for next year's 3 match series. I recommend anyone else tries to catch it too.....

Who remembers the Bath / Wigan two code series a few years back (just when Union was going Pro)?

If memory serves, the Union game was tight (ish) then Wigan destroyed Bath in the league game. Somewhat counter-intuitive imho (as scummaging is a fairly technically complex part of the Union game)

Was really interesting though, and the conclusion I reached at the time was that fitness and athleticism levels at that time in League were streets ahead of Union. Not sure you would be able to say that to the same extent now.

GJ

edit: for the non English amongst us, in case you hadn't figured it out, Bath were the Union powerhouse at the time, and Wigan were consistently the top League side.

Very true.

I think any such games would be a lot more even now.

if memory serves me correctly, Gerry Guscott didn't (some have said - dare) play in at least one of the games :confused: :?:

Personally I also like the fact that in Union there's a place for a lot more shapes and sizes of player than in league. Granted at the top level the lines are more blurred these days, but as someone whos by no means huge I loved the fact that as long as I was nippy round the base of the scrum and had quick hands I could still do a job as a half decent (imho only of course) scrum half, without being built like Joost Van Der Westhuizen / Dewi Morris (who I met once, and is deceptively huge, although a good laugh to have a pint with).

GJ

p.s. the irony of me posting the size comment while quoting my own reference to pint sized Billy Whizz, one of the best finishers either code has produced in a long while is not lost on me ;)

I saw Billy Whizz playing for Wigan in 2000 - just B4 switching to Union. On 5'7"/5'8" but superb physique. He could literally move quicker sideways, along the offensive line, than i can run forwards! :LOL:

Now then I feel the union boys are more in touch with their sexuality, open to their feminine side and o.k. having a nice grappling in a group environment, hands between the legs n all that, and why not, lets see what ya got ?

Contrastingly theres the rah,rah leagues boys, all a bit camp ,hopping and skipping all over the place and all that jerking and wriggling around when they are tackled, closet gays the lot of them.

" hands between the legs n all that, and why not, lets see what ya got" ...yes ,that front 8 lot are always a bit touchy feely ....us 'girls' on the wing with our headbands tend to do a lot more 'hand off' stuff ....

Anyone else in France in Sep ?

In 1995 Rugby Union joined Rugby League as a fully professional sport.

Which code of rugby do you prefer?

Note: This poll is not scientific!

being a northern *******, It's clear that League is the superior code, played by real men.(someone insert the music from the Hovis add here)
Union is played by southern, public school softies.

UTB

:LOL:

"Union is played by southern, public school softies"...ay up yoorkie you want to take that outside ;)

"Union is played by southern, public school softies"...ay up yoorkie you want to take that outside ;)

fight, fight, fight. Bike sheds, 1.00PM. Bring yer nuckle dusters, you'll need 'em yer shandy drinking wuss.

UTB

"Bike sheds"...you could afford bikes and a shed to put them in and you're calling us stuck up, snobby, southern twerps, who can't drink anything stronger than pop :eek:

you tetley dribbling , hovis munching ,mensa challenged , northern cave dweller .... i'll be bringing me fluffy duster to sort you out ;)

you tetley dribbling , hovis munching ,mensa challenged , northern cave dweller ;)

thanks for the compliments.

"Bike sheds"...you could afford bikes and a shed to put them in and you're calling us stuck up, snobby, southern twerps, who can't drink anything stronger than pop :eek:

Our bikes are really propped up against the long queues of ex miners waiting to claim their dole money. And they were stolen on a recent visit to cambridge. I just had to translate it into a language you'd understand.

UTB

"a list "... I don't know of one ,but my intuitive response would be at the top level there have been many more switches to Union from League as opposed to vice a versa.

there were quite a few when Union finally caught up and went pro right?

Yes , some even moved back.....Harris came and went etc... clearly the different code doesn't suit them all...I've always thought Union is more of a thinking game than League hence the different geographical disposition of the game :cheesy:

Who remembers the Bath / Wigan two code series a few years back (just when Union was going Pro)?

If memory serves, the Union game was tight (ish) then Wigan destroyed Bath in the league game. Somewhat counter-intuitive imho (as scummaging is a fairly technically complex part of the Union game)

Was really interesting though, and the conclusion I reached at the time was that fitness and athleticism levels at that time in League were streets ahead of Union. Not sure you would be able to say that to the same extent now.

GJ

edit: for the non English amongst us, in case you hadn't figured it out, Bath were the Union powerhouse at the time, and Wigan were consistently the top League side.

I do, and went to see the union match at twickers. My lasting memory will be of a big wigan ginger bloke (Kris Radlinski?) plucking up the ball about a yard away from his own dead ball line, taking a quick tap, and three passes later, scoring at the other end. IIRC, it was last a bit of a last minute affair. As an avid bath fan (and still a boy), I remember some creative accounting which meant, on a "points per day practicing the other code" basis, bath trounced ém :) I might even had the chance to see Martin Offiah get a run around.

Interesting at that time, though, was the brief spell Jason Robinson and Robbie Paul spent at the rec. I remember it was Robbie Paul who had the most impact on the field and got everyone excited, Billy the Whizz didn't create as much gossip - we all thought it would be RP who, if switched, would be our saviour. In fact i can remember my father taking me out of school to watch a midweek (!!) premiership game at the rec - just to watch RP in action one last time - praise indeed!

If you had told me then it would be JR that would change the face of the game, and RP would generally disappoint, I'd have laughed at you.

I do, and went to see the union match at twickers. My lasting memory will be of a big wigan ginger bloke (Kris Radlinski?) plucking up the ball about a yard away from his own dead ball line, taking a quick tap, and three passes later, scoring at the other end. IIRC, it was last a bit of a last minute affair. As an avid bath fan (and still a boy), I remember some creative accounting which meant, on a "points per day practicing the other code" basis, bath trounced ém :) I might even had the chance to see Martin Offiah get a run around.

Interesting at that time, though, was the brief spell Jason Robinson and Robbie Paul spent at the rec. I remember it was Robbie Paul who had the most impact on the field and got everyone excited, Billy the Whizz didn't create as much gossip - we all thought it would be RP who, if switched, would be our saviour. In fact i can remember my father taking me out of school to watch a midweek (!!) premiership game at the rec - just to watch RP in action one last time - praise indeed!

If you had told me then it would be JR that would change the face of the game, and RP would generally disappoint, I'd have laughed at you.

They should play that cross codes match every year or so, just for interests sake. They could even have an International version of England RU v's GB RL.

Robbie Paul certainly has the skill. Have seen him a few times doing his shopping & at the cinema!

Even though I am an Englishman.. England / Wasps fan... I have to say that Cristian Cullen in his hay day was the greatest runner I have ever seen... sublime stuff...