The psychology of LIFE

I think the article does make some valid points though.
Could there be a template for being a successful trader ?
For instance does religion play any part in promoting success. Because that is surely what we are all after ?

I think the article does make some valid points though.
Could there be a template for being a successful trader ?
For instance does religion play any part in promoting success. Because that is surely what we are all after ?

The irony being that this article is just regurgitating hints and tips made by thousands of other articles on the subject, there's nothing new in that list, and the list is endless and open ended, as is the subject of psychology itself. There are no experts, only academics, difficult to see how this list could be a template for traders.

Trading is unique for human psychology, not many people experience the feelings traders experience, certainly not in ordinary life. Gamblers, emergency workers, military personnel, mountain climbers, thrill seekers and traders probably all experience very similar emotions during the course of their activities.

But those activities are considered extreme, each individual learns how to cope with those extremes and whilst that is unique to each individual, there will be shared emotions and strategies. Those that do not control those feeling are less likely to succeed and some fail and quite a few suffer symptoms such as PTSD.

You also need to define success. Success is a very individual experience and is difficult to to apply in a broad sense across a number of different individuals.

Religion is ideology i.e. an idea constructed by humans in an attempt to define, explain and control the universe and those that reside in it. Religion is/has been imposed on humans for a long time and is deep rooted in our psychology, the pace of which seems to be accelerating in the modern world. It is an obstacle (one of many burdens) to understanding one's self in the natural world and the natural world itself. Removing religion allows for freedom of thought. It's not clear how religion promotes success (however success is defined).

I need a coffee :LOL:

All good points Signalcalc.
However humans are able to change their views and philosophy at will. Then surely we should take advantage of this valuable point to do just that.

In which case the question of change to what. begs an answer. Hopefully in the search for profitability ( success ) one doesn't go insane.

Perhaps I should have headed it up - for traders.

Last edited:
One of the acknowledged great traders was Jesse Livermore who won and lost fortunes.

But the poor soul ended up suicidal.

As far as I can see this article is just yet another regurgitation of modern "lifestyle" DIY psychology. Probably of great interest to thousands of inadequate people who are dissatisfied with their life and think there is a simple formula to change it.

What's wrong with just being yourself? Life to many people is all about image – for some unknown reason they are unsatisfied with their own and think that by emulating someone else (media stars/sportspeople/anyone with a big-gob image) will somehow solve their problems. It doesn't work like that and that's why articles such as this continue to be published, basically filling much of the media space with trash.

I find that people who practice these lifestyle tricks come across to me as artificial and insincere – I just exit as quickly as possible and move on to someone who is genuine.

I don't think it has any relevance to trading. As with any skill, you need knowledge/training/practice/aptitude and I don't think this article supplies any of those.

Apologies for being so negative but when, oh-when! in this day and age of snowflake/millennial generation will we start calling a spade a spade?

One of the acknowledged great traders was Jesse Livermore who won and lost fortunes.

But the poor soul ended up suicidal.

Yes, this ties in very well with the psychology of Adventurers. There is a book written many years ago by Chris Bonington entitled 'Quest for Adventure' https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quest-Adventure-Chris-Bonnington/dp/0340417005

Quite a few of the people who put themselves through a massive psychological and financial burden to attain, often lifetime, goals ended up committing suicide. There are more modern examples too, I'll go searching for them.

The suicide aspect is interesting, people often battle for many years to reach their pinnacle of success, find there is nothing for them after that and then just end it all.

Last edited:
Yes, this ties in very well with the psychology of Adventurers. There is a book written many years ago by Chris Bonington entitled 'Quest for Adventure' https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quest-Adventure-Chris-Bonnington/dp/0340417005

Quite a few of the people who put themselves through a massive psychological burden to attain, often lifetime, goals ended up committing suicide. There are more modern examples too, I'll go searching for them.

The suicide aspect is interesting, people often battle for many years to reach their pinnacle of success, find there is nothing for them after that and then just end it all.

Interesting points! I think it just illustrates that some people are unable to be satisfied with their lot and no matter how hard they try to change it they remain unhappy. This is typified by some of the rich people who, despite their wealth and possessions are still dissatisfied. Doesn't it also explained the success of multi-million £ lotteries (years ago it was football pools) where the suckers think that vast amounts of money will sort out their life problems?

I once read some psychological research which investigated what people consider to be "rich". The results showed that many people thought that an extra 10% on their income would solve their financial problems. The only trouble was that this turned out to be the view at all financial levels going through poor/well off/very rich. Just reinforces the trading psychologists view that just about all the problems lie within ourselves and not elsewhere.

I know rich people who spend all their time worrying about their money and don't have time to be happy and pursue more worthwhile benefits in life. It's a great shame that they can't recognise this themselves.

All good points Signalcalc.
However humans are able to change their views and philosophy at will. Then surely we should take advantage of this valuable point to do just that.

In which case the question of change to what. begs an answer. Hopefully in the search for profitability ( success ) one doesn't go insane.

Perhaps I should have headed it up - for traders.

And you've just changed the title of the thread lol.

Agreed that people can change their views at will, getting them to do that is another question.

Interesting points! I think it just illustrates that some people are unable to be satisfied with their lot and no matter how hard they try to change it they remain unhappy. This is typified by some of the rich people who, despite their wealth and possessions are still dissatisfied. Doesn't it also explained the success of multi-million £ lotteries (years ago it was football pools) where the suckers think that vast amounts of money will sort out their life problems?

I once read some psychological research which investigated what people consider to be "rich". The results showed that many people thought that an extra 10% on their income would solve their financial problems. The only trouble was that this turned out to be the view at all financial levels going through poor/well off/very rich. Just reinforces the trading psychologists view that just about all the problems lie within ourselves and not elsewhere.

I know rich people who spend all their time worrying about their money and don't have time to be happy and pursue more worthwhile benefits in life. It's a great shame that they can't recognise this themselves.

Strongly agree with this and as you alluded to in a previous post is why people look to 'successful' people that are celebs, big business owners and so on for an example.

If I was to define my own personal definition of success, it would be to have a lifestyle that includes: working as little as possible, to be financially comfortable, to be in nature as much as possible, to be physically using my body in a useful manner e.g. to support my lifestyle, to eat homegrown, home cooked food where possible, to ditch the TV, to de-clutter, to ignore lots of news and to let others worry about the bigger things in life.

Sounds idyllic, I've just had a planned extended break from work this year, to travel (50s are the new 20s apparently). Amongst that was 3 months exploring Scotland in a caravan sharing everything with my wife (free from kids who are on their own career tracks), it's amazing how one's psychology can change when free from the hum-drum constraints of work/commute/sleep. Now I'm back and dreading a new working week next week, but with the knowledge that no more than 5 more years of work and then I can retire to a much less stress free and simpler life.

Nothing I see being pushed on the TV amongst all the adverts and the vast majority of programmes suggests that living a simpler life is a better way of living, consumerism is alive and well.

Of course to reach that point, most of us have to go through decades of work, you just hope you come out the other end able to enjoy a simpler life. Alas the vast majority will always be stuck in the consumer trap and will never 'save' enough to be able to give up work. And then there is the government that will socially engineer and tax us all in an attempt to keep us in the workplace until we die, unfortunately that is out of our control and we have to work with/around those constraints, the only control we have over governments is at the ballot box and even then they seem intent on ignoring pre-election promises.

In terms of psychology - having an extended period of down-time and doing something you enjoy, really does help to clear one's thoughts, something that can't be achieved with any meaningful outcome when you are a work slave.

It is strange that most of us think we would be happier
1. On a tropical desert island.
2. Having lots of friends
3. Having 1 very good friend

etc.

And when we finally achieve our goal only to
1. Get lonely on the island
2. The so called friends seem to be really only after one's time and money.
3.Can be very awkward if they get too close. Especially if not a sexual partner.

etc.

So folks we might as well make the best of it where we are.

There are many qualities that a top trader should have.
Just one of these must be patience. Let the ideas come to you.
Analyse them and put the best of them into action.

Winston S. Churchill: ‘Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.’, ...

The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.

Confucius

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility."
-- Sigmund Freud