Technical Analysis Point and Figure Price Trade Charting – Part 1

Horizontal-Projections-2.jpg
Long before we had computers to chart price, traders were making a living and doing it by watching price movement. One of the earliest types of charts was called point and figure charting (P&F). It started from traders who would tick off prices as they watched the trading. Eventually the ticks changed to X’s and O’s to note movement in price and even see trends.

Today, many chartists have switched to candlestick charting to make their decisions to buy or sell. A drawback to this style of charting is that many people are prone to exiting early from profitable trades when they see small pullbacks or corrections. An advantage of point and figure charting is that it allows the trader to see the trend and stay in the trend even through minor corrections. For this advantage, we may sacrifice some profits with a larger stop but with the larger profit potential it may be worth it.

Another interesting feature of point and figure charts is that it does not take time into account when charting. On a candlestick chart, you will have a candle for every period. For instance, on a five minute chart, you would have a candle every five minutes whether the price moved or not. In a P&F chart, a new notation is made only when price moves by a certain amount. If there is no trading or if price does not move enough, no notation is made.

To create the chart, you will use an “X” to note when prices rise by a certain amount and an “O” when they decline by an amount. You only put either X’s or O’s in a column. If you need O’s due to a reversal in price, you would start a new column. You do not put X’s and O’s in the same column. You must first decide the minimum amount of movement to note. This is referred to as the box size. You can set the box size for anything you would like but remember the smaller the size, the more sensitive the chart will be. This may be good for short term traders but it can cause you to overreact to slight corrections. As a rule of thumb, you should set the box size at about 1% of price. You could use 2% when charting the indexes like the S&P 500 and the NASDAQ.

You also need to decide the reversal setting. This will be the multiple of the box size that would create a reversal signal. For instance, if you set the box size at $1, a 1×1 chart would change from a column of X’s to a column of O’s when price reversed by $1. On a 1×3 chart, you would continue to mark X’s for the upward movements until you have price reverse by at least $3 ($1×3). Once that happens, you would start a column of O’s to the right of the previous column.

Construction of charts

The larger reversal size will filter out many small corrections that might have otherwise scared traders out of positions.

Buy and sell signals can be as simple or as complex as you would like. You can take a simple buy signal when a column of X’s rises above the previous column of X’s. You could stay long until a sell signal has been generated. The simple sell signal comes when a column of O’s breaks below a previous column of O’s.

Buy and Sell Signals

When we trade, we should know at least three things about the position before we take it. We need to know our entry, the stop, and the target we hope to achieve. A point and figure chart can offer all of that to us. We can place our stops for longs just under the last column of O’s. As long as there is no reversal that breaks that low, we stay in the trade.

Stops and Uptrends

The system would be similar for shorts. We would enter a short on a sell signal and place our stop above the previous column of X’s. We would stay in our short position until we have breached that previous high.

Stops in uptrends

If we happen to be long or short in a large move, we may not want to wait for a large reversal to exit. If we were to wait, we may give back too much profit. So instead of waiting for the typical sell signal, stop yourself out when you have the first three box reversal.

Placing Stops

For the target price, we can use a horizontal box count. When prices move, they usually originate from a basing area. We can project the width of this basing to offer probable targets for the trend when we are in. The target does not have a timeframe and can take time to reach. Remember, only price movement matters, not the passage of time.

Horizontal Projections

If we are using a larger reversal size, 1×3, 20×3 or so, we can still use a horizontal projection. In this case, we would multiply the horizontal box count by the box size and the reversal size to determine the projection length.

Horizontal Projections 2

Part 2 concludes next week.

Brandon can be contacted on this link: Brandon Wendell

Last edited by a moderator:
hi

<span>Hi, Im MyabFX Forum Staff .</span>
<span> </span>
<span>Here have a Promotion for Forex.</span>
<span> </span>
<span>-We would like to welcome you to join MYABFX Forum, Here you will find all information you need regarding to Forex trading matters. We provide academy to learn forex, as well as free Account, Bonus and trading advice! MYABFX Forum.The more you Post, The more you Earn. CashBack your Wealth with your Hardwork. Join MyabFX Forum to enjoy our Benefits.</span>
<span> </span>
<span>-High rebate of commission rate with MYABFX Forum and many others top brokers in the world.

Join us: http://en.myabfx.com/forum.php/?af_id=1019

More Details welcome to contrart us :
Skype ID: myabfx </span>

Dear Sir/Madam,
I would like to know the offer/price for your,
1. company shares

2.Contracts for Difference (CFDs)CFDs

My clients/project from the D.R.Congo would like to purchase/invest in
your company very soon for their new investment project.

They want to give you a quantity of gold nuggets that is equivalent to the
value of the shares/CFDs they would like to buy from your company, if you are
interested in the deal please let me know so that i can arrange to meet
face to face
with me and my clients in Kampala, Uganda, where we can
have safe business transaction and also view the gold nuggets. 800 kilos
are there in safe custody under the safe keeping company.

Kindly send details and specifications of the available offers.
Hoping for your response.

Regards,

OCHAN JOHN
Assistant operations manager
ALAMA PROCUREMENT & LOGISTICS (U) LIMITED
ADDRESS;

PLOT 6/7 KATONGA ROAD

NAKASERO KAMPALA UGANDA.

P.O.BOX 3457 KAMPALA MAIN OFFICE

TEL: +256 414 695 785

FAX:+ 256 414 695 785
MOBILE:+256 771 864 971

Re:shares /CFDs sales inquiry

Dear Sir/Madam,
I would like to know the offer/price for your,
1. company shares

2.Contracts for Difference (CFDs)CFDs

My clients/project from the D.R.Congo would like to purchase/invest in
your company very soon for their new investment project.

They want to give you a quantity of gold nuggets that is equivalent to the
value of the shares/CFDs they would like to buy from your company, if you are
interested in the deal please let me know so that i can arrange to meet
face to face
with me and my clients in Kampala, Uganda, where we can
have safe business transaction and also view the gold nuggets. 800 kilos
are there in safe custody under the safe keeping company.

Kindly send details and specifications of the available offers.
Hoping for your response.

Regards,

OCHAN JOHN
Assistant operations manager
ALAMA PROCUREMENT & LOGISTICS (U) LIMITED
ADDRESS;

PLOT 6/7 KATONGA ROAD

NAKASERO KAMPALA UGANDA.

P.O.BOX 3457 KAMPALA MAIN OFFICE

TEL: +256 414 695 785

FAX:+ 256 414 695 785
MOBILE:+256 771 864 971