Please Recommend a Paid Forex Charting Package

Trevor2522

Preferably with a UK outlet.

Or would I do just as well using a broker or spreadbet company which supplies its own?

Thanks.

Preferably with a UK outlet.

Or would I do just as well using a broker or spreadbet company which supplies its own?

Thanks.

I have also been looking over the past few weeks and would value any input from others on here.

So far, the best that I can find would be eSignal Forex, which is quite pricey.

Have a look at City Index Advantage Trader and FXCM Strategy Trader or FXCM Trading Station II. They're all free, even though you said to recommend a paid one, but they've got custom indicators, automated trading, historical data export and backtesting.

Have a look at City Index Advantage Trader and FXCM Strategy Trader or FXCM Trading Station II. They're all free, even though you said to recommend a paid one, but they've got custom indicators, automated trading, historical data export and backtesting.

Advantage Trader looks to have more indicators than IG's Advanced Charts but it's a Windows-only download. I'm a Mac user.

At least IG and CMC are web-based. Are FXCM's charts as well?

Advantage Trader looks to have more indicators than IG's Advanced Charts but it's a Windows-only download. I'm a Mac user.

FXCM does have a web version of the Trading Station (even works on my HP Touchpad!) but I don't know if it has all the features of the desktop version. I didn't know you were a Mac user, sorry.

Hi Trevor,

FXCM's Trading Station Web platform will work on Mac computers, however, it lacks the more advanced features of Trading Station Desktop, such as custom indicators, backtesting and automation. If you are interested in using those advanced features, a solution that has worked for other Mac users is to run Trading Station Desktop on a Virtual Private Server (VPS). That would serve three purposes:

1. It would allow you access to Trading Station Desktop via your Mac.
  2. You could keep the platform running 24 hours a day on the VPS to automate trades, even if your Mac is turned off or disconnected from the internet.
  3. You could access your platform from any computer with internet access to the VPS to modify automation settings.

Jason

Last edited:
Thanks but a VPS looks more expensive than a paid charting package. I don't need custom indicators, backtesting and automation. Are FXCM charts considered state-of-the-art or superior to rivals?

would I do just as well using a broker or spreadbet company which supplies its own?

There really isn't a "universal" answer to this: it honestly depends what you want/need for the type of trading you're going to do. Unhelpful though that observation is.

I used to subscribe to ProRealTime (which I liked), but found that I really don't need it any more. Retail broker and spreadbet charts are more than adequate for me, now.

With things like eSignal, I get palpitations just from looking at the website and manual: I'd never be able to use it. :eek:

I have exact same issue. Trying to find a good forex charting service is hard. I was on a basic fxtrek chart using comstock data feed for years but it went away. I like a charting service that reflects proper Sunday Open and does not show artificial gaps. If a trading day ends at 5:00pm EST (New York time) and begins at 5 oclock and one second there should not be a gap between the close of one day and the opening of another unless it is a Sunday open.

Any advice?

I don't need custom indicators, backtesting and automation.

In that case, Trading Station Web might be a good fit, and it will run on your Mac. I was only suggesting VPS as a solution if you wanted the more advanced features of Trading Station Desktop on your Mac.

Thanks but a VPS looks more expensive than a paid charting package.

If you're not interested in automation, then you won't need a VPS after all. However, if you decide later that you do want to automate trades, it might interest you to know that FXCM offers free VPS service to account holders with a balance of $5000.

Tried FXCM ... Useless bunch ...

1) FXCM has no contact number in the UK (not one which states 'UK')

2) Live chat doesn't work

3) Demo account doesn't work (newly-opened account details already 'expired')

4) They prompt me to download an exe file which doesn't work on Macs

5) Their forum is over 2 years old with dead help-links

6) They don't reply to emails

7) How could I trust my money with such an anonymous operation? Do they really exist???

Last edited:
Tried FXCM ... Useless bunch ...

1) FXCM has no contact number in the UK (not one which states 'UK')

2) Live chat doesn't work

3) Demo account doesn't work (newly-opened account details already 'expired')

4) They prompt me to download an exe file which doesn't work on Macs

5) Their forum is over 2 years old with dead help-links

6) They don't reply to emails

7) How could I trust my money with such an anonymous operation? Do they really exist???

Hi Trevor,

I'm sorry to hear you've had such difficulty navigating our website. Our toll-free number in the UK is the first one listed on our contact page. During the week, when the trading desk is open, our client services department provides live chat support 24 hours a day. We also typically respond to emails within a business day. If any of yours were overlooked, please forward them to me at [email protected] and I'll make sure they get addressed ASAP.

As Tar mentioned, here's the link to our Trading Station Web platform that will work on your Mac: https://tsweb.fxcorporate.com/

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jason

Hi Trev,

I agree the mac incompatibility seems daft in this day and age. I also agree the live chat is pretty poor.

I do however find that the charting software (marketscope) is probably the best free charting package I've come across (please note: I'm only comparing charting services from spread bet providers). Their mobile app, is handy as well

Phil

I used to subscribe to ProRealTime (which I liked), but found that I really don't need it any more. Retail broker and spreadbet charts are more than adequate for me, now.

IG supplies ProRealTime if you trade with them four times a month. It seems to be the best (semi-) free chart as one can adjust for exact-minute charts, e.g. 20-minutes. The latest version is a disaster as the toolbar has disappeared but fortunately they let you select from two older versions. It's currently impossible to draw lines on the latest. They shouldn't release new versions before the bugs have been eliminated.