Name something "Permanent"

Does it really matter; does anyone give a toss!
Let's all go for a pint :p

So neil, what is the opposite of a half empty glass ? :cheers:
And if the state of the beer is impermanent, is there a permanent beer ? :cheers:

Richard

Mr. Charts said:
WRONG, WHY EVERYTHING? I SEE THE UNIVERSE WHICH IS PERMANENTLY CHANGING .THAT ITSELF DEGRADES THE VALIDITY AND APPLICATION OF THE WORD
Permanently changing doesn't mean permanent. What is important here is there is an effect happening. That effect cannot happen without a cause. This means the universe is a conditioned existence. Anything that is conditioned cannot be permanent. So it depends on perspective on how one is looking at it.
Mr. Charts said:
WHY SHOULD EVERYTHING HAVE AN OPPOSITE? OR DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT MATTER AND ANTI MATTER RESULT IN ANNIHILATION? THAT IS PATENTLY UNTRUE.
Did I say "everything have an opposite"? I said "As everything is not permanent, surely there must be an opposite.....which should be permanent." Not permanent and permanent.
Mr. Charts said:
FALSE PREMISE AS JUST BECAUSE YOU CANNOT FIND"PERMANENCE" YOU ASSUME IT DOESN'T EXIST.
IN ANY CASE, SINCE TIME ITSELF CAN BE DISTORTED YOUR CONCEPT OF BOTH PERMANENCE AND IMPERMANENCE CANNOT BE CORRECT, OR AT LEAST INCOMPLETE
When one understands impermanence, one understands it is a conditioned existence, which means it cannot be permanent. There is no requirement to find it anymore. Unless you have found something which you think it is permanent.....hence the very title of this thread.

It is interesting that you mentioned "time" here as we tried to discuss earlier in this thread but it would appear to be a difficult concept to get over for most. You see, the problem here is there is no time, you cannot look at things with time attached. It is like using a false glass lens on a binocular to see something afar, no wonder we cannot see properly.
Permanence and impermanence are both concepts and if we hold on to time, we will not be able to see correctly.

"You see, the problem here is there is no time, you cannot look at things with time attached. It is like using a false glass lens on a binocular to see something afar, no wonder we cannot see properly."

We really have to disagree here as those sentences are simply wrong as you are denying the existence of the fourth dimension, and that's just to start with.......

It's worth reading some Einstein and Minkowski.......

Last edited:
Saying infinity doesn't make it a fact. It is just an illusion.

Calling it an illusion is flying off at a tangent!

Infinity is a well defined permanent fact in every aspect of the word forever and ever and ... ever!

Well done for keeping the thread going with interesting blurb. I'd call this a work of art. Very creative indeed. However, it's all becoming a little tiresome and repetitive bore. Sort of like repetitive permanence ;)

Permanent

The Sun will die in 1-2 billion years. So anything that is associated with living on planet Earth is not permanent. I guess time may remain thereafter.

The Sun will die in 1-2 billion years. So anything that is associated with living on planet Earth is not permanent. I guess time may remain thereafter.

You are guessing right?

Who is going to verify time will remain thereafter?

The fact that the Sun will blow up in a specific time is science, this is not guessing. Of course, I dont know who could verify the existence of time thereafter.

You are guessing right?

Who is going to verify time will remain thereafter?

God. The only thing that will continue infinitely is Creation. Otherwise everything changes from moment to moment.

From that the only other thing that is permanent is change, as things will ALWAYS be changing.

When you read this message tomorrow it will be different also. :)

God. The only thing that will continue infinitely is Creation. Otherwise everything changes from moment to moment.

From that the only other thing that is permanent is change, as things will ALWAYS be changing.

When you read this message tomorrow it will be different also. :)

God can not exist without man.

Man created GOD to fill the answers to the questions he could not fathom at the time.

God did not create man.

Geeshhh, you'd think after 3000 years the penny would have dropped by now.

You are about as sharp as the back of a Rhino... :p

God can not exist without man.

Man created GOD to fill the answers to the questions he could not fathom at the time.

God did not create man.

Geeshhh, you'd think after 3000 years the penny would have dropped by now.

You are about as sharp as the back of a Rhino... :p

Ok. You must be right. I can't be too sharp if i never worked that out.

Last edited: