My take on spread betting,...

I keep using "digression" when I mean "divergence". Can't get the mistake out of my head. I've corrected one of my posts but I see that I have done it again.

To get back to your post---I'm going to watch that pin and divergence for a while and see if I can get some use out of it.

yeah but remember to look at s&r as well, weekly pivots are good too.

Found a nice quotation (which I might put in my sig) which seems apposite:

Quote:
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)

You spend the weekend reading Kierkegaard? Makes a change from Three Men in a Boat, I suppose.

Found a nice quotation (which I might put in my sig) which seems apposite:

Quote:
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)

You spend the weekend reading Kierkegaard? Makes a change from Three Men in a Boat, I suppose.

:LOL: No. It was quoted over one of the chapters of a Morse novel by Colin Dexter.
Much more lowbrow! :)

I read that Morten Haircut from "a-ha" really does tend to spout Kierkegaard; the other band members just take the **** out of him when he does this. :)

Sounds very unlikely, although I believe that the Spice Girls frequently had heated debates about epistemology when they were on tour.

So i've gathered that spread betting (esp for newbies) that the longer time frame is better to trade?

I just thought that a shorter time period is less risky? I mean say you said the ftse was in a bullish @ 4800 and went to 4790 within 2 minutes, are you guys saying its less risky to leave it for a longer period of time than it is to trade on a minute basis?

I hope someone can see where I'm coming from? Reason being is if a bet is placed, I'm not sure how it isn't less riskier to watch it rather than 'leave' it... or do you guys mean make the analysis on a long timeframe but trade like I'm saying?

Sorry for the confusion, hopefully someone can give some advice for me

thanks

anyone?

also I been using demo acc with smart live but notice it has a time cut-off but the ftse trades 24hr, does anyone know of any companies who use MT4 and display graphs etc over 24hr period?

So i've gathered that spread betting (esp for newbies) that the longer time frame is better to trade?

I just thought that a shorter time period is less risky? I mean say you said the ftse was in a bullish @ 4800 and went to 4790 within 2 minutes, are you guys saying its less risky to leave it for a longer period of time than it is to trade on a minute basis?

I hope someone can see where I'm coming from? Reason being is if a bet is placed, I'm not sure how it isn't less riskier to watch it rather than 'leave' it... or do you guys mean make the analysis on a long timeframe but trade like I'm saying?

thanks
No actually, with short term trading you pay in percentage a higher price in reference of the movement anticipated. Long term trading usually involves a wider stop loss, but at the same time you can benefit from the big swings in the market.

Last edited:
anyone?

also I been using demo acc with smart live but notice it has a time cut-off but the ftse trades 24hr, does anyone know of any companies who use MT4 and display graphs etc over 24hr period?
No, I don't think any company provide this with the MT4 platform. You have to switch during off hours to SB companies like Capital Spreads to get a price quote on the FTSE.

thanks

My take on this is short term ftse index movement, ie. over 30 minutes to few hours , is fairly random and very easily effected by news. In my opinion, longer time frames are a better bet, eg.1-4 weeks say. Especially if you use some sort of market timing. For example look at the ftse mid-April, the odds of a "short" bet on the right stocks then were a fairly good probability of a win, maybe 70:30 say... see what i'm getting at? Also following trends and buying pullbacks are good medium term bets... etc...

Ok yeh I see where you're coming from :) Tip the odds into my favour, but can't be 100% correct ovbiously?

Attempted some demo trades by using stop losses, then when correct moving the stop loss up gradually to obtain a profit, works quite well - shame about when it dips and then spikes up lol! but at least I can wish i stayed in longer rather than I wish I pulled out.

Quick question on the forex market, my broker states Margin: 200 times quantity.

and its traded per 0.0001. Does that mean if I place £1 per pip, that it requires £1 * 200 = £200 margin?

Didn't realise there was much movement in the forex (forgive me being ignorant @ beginning, esp to BlackSwans advice) but I never knew it was £ per pip I thought it was whole decibal points, i.e; from 1.51 to 1.52 = 1 pip hence though potential for profit is low!

Looking into it a lot more now, should have done this ages ago when advised.