Major upgrade to T2W coming soon!

It may be too late to bring this up, or maybe not, but if changes can still be made, I have to wonder what the purpose of the page with forums, what's going on, and top 25 stats is. For example, "new posts" carries much more information than "latest posts", including what forum the post is in, so why have both? As for "most viewed" and "top posters", these don't necessarily convey the desired message. For example, rather than "most viewed" perhaps "most liked" would be better. Rather than "top posters" perhaps "most liked", though combining "most liked" posters and "most liked" posts would accomplish the same goal. Right now, "top posters" means those who post the most, which is not necessarily a good thing, given those who make post after post in rapid succession just to get their name on a list. Back in the good old days when James Lee owned TL, those who had the largest number of "liked" posts were rewarded (you did something similar once upon a time). This reduced trolling to a large extent and also provided newcomers with some measure of whose opinions were valued and whose were not. And of course a large set of "quality" posts increases page views and time spent on site.

Just a thought.

Db

Never too late to bring something up, and when we do make the switch and the new site goes live, I'll continue making improvements.

So you're talking about the Top 25 Stats on the existing site. You'll notice the new site we don't have that section. There is a new Members section in the header here: http://new.trade2win.com/members/ which currently lists Most messages, likes and points. A breakdown of the points system is available here: http://new.trade2win.com/help/trophies/ and this can easily be configured.

As for recognising the top members by the number of likes, I recall when we had the yearly awards we recognised the top members by votes in different categories, this is still available here: http://www.tradingawards.com/winners.html
and we did reward them with something.

You'll notice on the new site we have user titles again, but unlike the current site it's not based just on post count, instead it's based on the points system that's I've linked from above, which can also take into account things like no. of likes. Here's what the default settings are, but we can change them to whatever make sense given we have members already with a lot of points, see the Members link above (since the site goes back so far and we recalculate this for everyone after importing).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-11-23 at 15.29.28.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-23 at 15.29.28.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 409
As for recognising the top members by the number of likes, I recall when we had the yearly awards we recognised the top members by votes in different categories, this is still available here: http://www.tradingawards.com/winners.html
and we did reward them with something.

Yes, I was one of the rewardees. FWIW, James encouraged people to make "Post of the Day" submissions. If I remember correctly, it was just a thread, but popular. Then the posts with the most likes got Post of the Month (there may have been a Post of the Week step in there) and the winner got a $10 Amazon gift certificate. This is all nearly ten years ago, so my memory may be rusty. But I do remember it's being popular and it had an appreciable effect on the quality of the posts. The new owners got rid of all that (whether or not this had anything to do with the exodus is a matter of opinion).

Db

Yes, I was one of the rewardees. FWIW, James encouraged people to make "Post of the Day" submissions. If I remember correctly, it was just a thread, but popular. Then the posts with the most likes got Post of the Month (there may have been a Post of the Week step in there) and the winner got a $10 Amazon gift certificate. This is all nearly ten years ago, so my memory may be rusty. But I do remember it's being popular and it had an appreciable effect on the quality of the posts. The new owners got rid of all that (whether or not this had anything to do with the exodus is a matter of opinion).

Db

Sounds good, let's do it I say, post migration.

Good news, we've managed to migrate all the reviews across, you can view them on the test site here: http://new.trade2win.com/reviews/ - this section, as does the existing one, needs work to get it more useful to everyone, but I think it would have been a shame to lose all the reviews that many of you have taken the trouble to write over the years.

That's probably my fault, making a bunch of changes to usergroups and permission in preparation for Saturday's move. I've approved a bunch of posts, and will check why they're getting pushed for approval. Thanks for reporting Nowler.

That's probably my fault, making a bunch of changes to usergroups and permission in preparation for Saturday's move. I've approved a bunch of posts, and will check why they're getting pushed for approval. Thanks for reporting Nowler.

OK sorted, should be fixed!

Just a reminder to everyone who's already up on a Saturday morning, that we'll be taking the site down (perhaps just the forums) in just about 2 hours. The work should take no more than 6 hours, although with the necessary DNS changes disruption may occur over the weekend, we'll do our best to keep it to a minimum. We'll be posting updates on our twitter account here: https://twitter.com/trade2win to keep you informed about progress.

And we're back! A 16 hour slog but we got there!

There are bound to be some issues, which we'll fix over the next few days. Report anything odd here. We'll also be moving Articles across shortly as well.

Hooray_Snoopy1.jpg

New site works as far as I have found so far. Took me a few minutes to work out how to navigate smoothly through New Posts but its quite intuitive now I've done it. Appearance is clearer than I expected. Good job overall, thank you.

Thanks for the kind words all.

I just now enabled Redis caching, and there's a noticeable speed increase in the forums. I don't recall the site ever running this fast!

Currently working on upgrading the search to use Elasticsearch which is more powerful, can search 2 characters and also displays results by 'relevance', similar to what Google does.

Not sure if it's just the mobile view but getting to the current post is quite cumbersome
Take the P&F thread for example....jump to new takes you to 2nd November and another 200 posts to get through.

Would agree with you there, I had the same problem today on mobile, I'm going to fix that so you can easily get to the newest post.