I'm inclined to short wine

You can spread bet it at ODL markets, I'm opening an account to do it tomorrow. You can also trade it on intrade but there don't seem to be any bids!

The account is now opened... market is closed but currently 204-209 for dec settlement... I've no interest in trading dec so we'll see when the next month becomes avaliable...

meanwhile I just shorted the pound against the euro with my new account for no reason at all... hehe

Buy Chateau Wallabra-wonga! A good wine for hand-to-hand fighting. I notice it's not on the list.

As a more accessible alternative than Liv-Ex, shorting Majestic Wine?

Funny you say that, I had similar thoughts; Aparently this Liv-Ex thing can provide personalised incices, but ODl et al will only let you trade the "headline" figure... then I thought about Jacobs Creek, and that firm (Ricard Pernod) also has the Absolut + Chivas Regal brands (plus more) which I think might offer opportunities - as people begin to tighten the purse strings, booze bought in supermarkets should see a rise in demand, and fancy stuff in restaurunts sell off...

whole Idea is to short fancy wine and go long on plonk...

... then I thought I'd take a look at how Diageo are doing because I drink alot of guinness - good news, the share has recently sold off - and importantly - won "a presigious management award" ; which with any luck means that after the NY, a whole bunch of management will be sacked for being wholly unnecessary, hence the award. Good for stock.

Then I wanted to look at the fancy wines in the Liv-Ex index, a bit of window shopping. To my delight, one of the wines that has recently been dropped is an E. Guigal, which I have to say I have a modest collection of.... (pronounced "gweegal", I get 9L every Xmas from a Relly, and it rarely lasts till NYE) - alas, after a mad dash down the stairs, my Gweegal is not the same Gweegal in the list... mine is a 2001 Chateau neuf de pape, which means I got a good return on my Hamper - whoop whoop!!

Since the beginning of this post, I am now 0.5L worse off :cheesy:

(also, since we are discussing wine, I bought myself some Gosset grand reserve as a pressy - if you are prone to the odd bottle of bubbly when theres some rugby on the telly / whatever, it comes highly recommended. Avoid the Brut Excellence (cos its crap) and avoid the Grand Millesomething (cos it will sting when you get to the till), but the Grand Reserve is usually pretty bloody good for the price you pay. It is also the only chapagne that comes in bottles that are the same shape as Dom Perignion, but about half to a third of the price. And it has been known as tricky to find unless you wanna go to Al Fayeds or F+M's. Or France, where it will cost you more.

Much love to you all

Gordon

Yeah, spot on GJ - I'm 100% with you on this. (God I'm bored of saying that:cheesy:)
Additionally, I don't concur with Tom's suggestion to short Majestic. For the most part, they aren't 'top end'; appealing mostly to the consumer who's bored of the supermarkets constantly shoving Banrock Station down their gullets (or Kamala or Bossom Hill or Echo Beach etc.). Also, Majestic's business model ensures that their prices are competitive. No disrespect to the very nice lady who keeps the shelves well stocked at my local branch of Tesco's, but she doesn't have the interest in wine or product training that the staff at Majestic have. No, if one wants to short retailers selling discretionary products, then there are loads of names that spring to mind long before I'd contemplate shorting Majestic. Any of this lot for starters:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/news-current-affairs/48700-high-street-death-list.html
Tim.

Best laid plans of mice and men

Dear Mr arabianights,

Unfortunately we will not be quoting Live Ex wine future after the December expiry on the 31st Dec. This was mainly due to the lack of demand for the product and management have decided to stop pricing the product.

We apologise if this will cause any nuisance to you. If you have any questions regarding this please do not hesitate to contact the spread betting desk on 0207 9036363.

Best Regards

you should ring them up and have a right whine about that :p they must have clocked on to your plan of manipulating the market by flooding it with the contents of your wine celler :p