ignorance

Peedee, If you haven't already then go to IB http://www.interactivebrokers.co.uk/ for a demo, and Sierra as well. Start having a play so you know what buttons you're hitting! If you're scalping the dow you'd better be quick with your TA mate.

Good luck

Oatman, why do you say i have to be quick? If i was using two screens, one with my trading platform one with my TA i would have instant entry/exit trades when i feel the time is right. Hope im on about the right thing here. Cheers, PeeDee.

Peedee,

Don't start trading the mini-dow contract without reading the 'spikes' thread on here.

I don't think it's fair for anyone to get involved without knowing the real risks.

But if you take my advice you'll start trading the US markets with a spreadbetter at the cheapest stake that still makes it 'interesting', and go for the bigger moves. I've not used IB, but it's not the easiest thing on the eye, and that does matter when it's all going wrong and you're starting to flap.

Cheap commissions+scalping can mean a good caning. That thing moves like lightning, and good TA ain't going to tell you anything when the floor is running the stops.

To be honest, I don't know why people trade the Dow when the S&P is the biggest index in the world. Because it's got 500 stocks, it gets whipped around less than the Dow.

It still gets ripped around by the floor though.

Beware, it's not easy.

(Just seen your last post. It's not just the feed/platform/hand speed mate, it's the brain. Not taking the piss, but I've been spreadbetting the S&P for two years and it still batters me some days. The US markets are quick, and you can know what's going on and still get stopped out in a blink. I regard myself as a novice at it still).

Last edited:
Peedee, yes that's OK, I use 2 machines but you can miss a trade by just looking at the other screen and back. I'm not sure you realise how fast it can move. You may be surprised.

At the moment im using volume charts( Market Volume ), its not a plug, but any comments about them would be appreciated. Can i get volume charts for the futures market (dow index). PeeDee.

Cheers for the replies. When people are refering to the speed of movement are you on about the actual index(dow) or the price of which any given company is offering about an index. PeeDee.

Oatman, when an IB company is offering a price about a futures market how well does it reflect the actual market price. PeeDee.

If you want to know about it, go and register on ADVFN for the premium boards. It will only cost you £5 per month.

Look at the US traders thread. That will show you how easy it is to get whacked on it. There are some good traders there, but there are some awful ones as well. A lot of people start out 'scalping' and end up sitting there sweating for two days praying it will come back. Don't be one, it's not good for the brain.

Unless you like taking small losses, don't trade US. It will be a big loss faster than you'd believe.

Good luck.

IB prices are the market price!!!

Don't confuse Futures with Cash and the cash is not a tradeable entity.

JonnyT