How not to make money trading the markets

Hotch

Experienced member
Right! Trading starts on Monday!

An experiment in random trading.

System Rules are thus:

Going to be spread betting. Starting with £500

Currently looking at USD/JPY, USD/CHF, GBP/USD, EUR/USD. Will look at some others probably, the more the merrier after all.

Entry is done by a coin flip (physically going to flip one). Heads I go long, tails, I go short.

Stop 5%
Target 0.5%
Percentage of account risked on a trade=1/n

where n is the number of markets traded today.

So...

"Bad" risk/reward ratio.
"Bad" amount of account risked.
"Spanish" style stop.
Random "strategy"
Spread betting.
Under capitalised

Less chance of this working then a plane taking off from a conveyor belt moving backwards at the speed of said plane eh?

*Insert something about experiments, me having had enough of people taking general advice and deciding it's gospel for every situation etc*

Let the madness commence!

Hopefully it'll bring a few laughs either way!

As is my saying "I'm probably the happiest man alive, but hopefully not"

go for it!! (y)(y)(y)(y)
you are clearly mad!! :eek::eek::eek:
your coin better beat that "I made 167 pips in 2 days" bozo!! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

My dad done something similar to this once, trading at quite big stakes (£50 per point or so), after becoming very frustrated with the market. He actually done OK but stopped once he'd composed himself and realised what a nutter he was being! Good luck!

Hmm, playing the FX markets with such a wide stop and little profit target will most likely work as long as the markets stay "mostly" range bound. If there is a strong trend then it really is 50:50.

Is your risk 1% / number of markets or 100%?

Are the stops "one or the other", or is there a time limit also?

Any way, happy trading.
Oh, when you make you first million from this system don't forget to start selling it. You will make all the more money that way!!

Hmm, playing the FX markets with such a wide stop and little profit target will most likely work as long as the markets stay "mostly" range bound. If there is a strong trend then it really is 50:50.

Is your risk 1% / number of markets or 100%?

Are the stops "one or the other", or is there a time limit also?

Any way, happy trading.
Oh, when you make you first million from this system don't forget to start selling it. You will make all the more money that way!!

100%

There would be a time limit of the end of the day, but if I'm already long and I flip a heads there's no point paying for the spread again, so basically one or the other, but it might not end out that way.

When I make the first million I'll probably die laughing before I can sell it.

100%

When I make the first million I'll probably die laughing before I can sell it.

You could be like those turtle people when they first started out. You know, only take so many and charge about a trillion bucks each. Then make a hundred trillion. Then one of the little turds sells you out...
Oh well, life goes on right?

You do know that you will make a million right? I mean after all you posted what you did and instead of every one telling you how stupid you are and getting into page after page of arguments, THEY ALL GAVE THEIR BLESSING!! :|:eek::-0
completely unprecedented!!

Stop 5%
Target 0.5%

Oh dear! A 10:1 risk reward ratio seems far to secure. 50:3 seems much better.

(Target is 0.3%)

Trying to get 10p/point betting (IG said they would allow me to for purposes of experiment), but I might have to just go more insane with betting the ranch day 1 while they reset it ...waiting a day would be far too boring.

dont do it. if you insist to carry on then equal profit/risk. that will give you breakeven.

You can get 10p per point at iii.com and finspreads, if you join as a newbie trader. Lasts about 8 weeks I think.

Target...

Right! Trading starts on Monday!

An experiment in random trading.

System Rules are thus:

Going to be spread betting. Starting with £500

Currently looking at USD/JPY, USD/CHF, GBP/USD, EUR/USD. Will look at some others probably, the more the merrier after all.

Entry is done by a coin flip (physically going to flip one). Heads I go long, tails, I go short.

Stop 5%
Target 0.5%

where n is the number of markets traded today.

If I understand correctly, this is a "cut your winners, let your losers run" strategy. Why have such a huge stop and tiny target?

Looking forward to this. When it works, auction off your pocket change as the one and only "lucky traders coin". You'll make a mint! ;)

Looking forward to this. When it works, auction off your pocket change as the one and only "lucky traders coin". You'll make a mint! ;)

Thought of that, but on a serious note, if it works, then it should work with the opposite coin flips. I will do some statistics of "what if":

the coin came up the other way
I used equal risk/reward.

Anything else just shout and I'll put it on.

Entries!

EUR/USD
LONG
Entry 12598.3
Stop 12098.3
Target 12628.3

GBP/JPY
LONG
Entry 13836.3
Stop 13336.3
Target 13866.3

What is odd is that the 2nd trade should be USD/JPY, not sure what happened, IG are now saying call in to Deal USD/JPY.

BBBM! (Bye Bye Beer Money)

Entries!

EUR/USD
LONG
Entry 12598.3
Stop 12098.3
Target 12628.3

GBP/JPY
LONG
Entry 13836.3
Stop 13336.3
Target 13866.3

What is odd is that the 2nd trade should be USD/JPY, not sure what happened, IG are now saying call in to Deal USD/JPY.

BBBM! (Bye Bye Beer Money)

GBP/JPY got there, Sold the EUR/USD off at 30 pip loss to break even.

Reasoning was that i only really entered because I wanted to start at beginning of the month, but will just go tonight (if trade sense is reset), really wasn't conforming to original rules so no point in it.

Will post new entries (hopefully) at 9pm