• New to T2W? Welcome! This forum contains a list of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) that new members want answers to. We don't allow new threads to be created so if you have an idea for a new FAQ please post it in the How the FAQs work thread.

FAQ How Much Money Does a Trader Need To Start Trading?

Re: How Much Money Does a Trader Need to Start Trading?

I aim to make 20-30% a year, whilst aiming to keep drawdown below 20%. I could of course shoot for a much higher profit "target", but I'm doubtful of my ability to handle the increased drawdown that this would entail.
A trader can start at any amout of money

There is no limit to start trading, you just need to have sufficient capital to invest. However, I prefer to start with a low sum of money.

Day traders working the U.S. stock market is required to have a minimum account balance of at least $25,000, according to rules issued by the U.S. Security and Exchange Commission.

If your day-trading account falls below the $25,000 threshold, you won't be able to day trade stocks until the $25,000 minimum account balance is restored.

Thus, it's highly advisable for newly-minted day traders to maintain an account balance well in excess of $25,000 - aim for at least $30,000 in your account when you begin day trading.

You can start trading with a small amount of money and after getting some experience you can increase this money and can make a huge profit. But still, remember that you must have good knowledge and skills to prove yourself a successful trader.

You can start trading with a small amount of money and after getting some experience you can increase this money and can make a huge profit. But still, remember that you must have good knowledge and skills to prove yourself a successful trader.
I agree with you, it is always better to start with small amount and with sufficient knowledge rather than rushing into with huge some of money.

I agree with you, it is always better to start with small amount and with sufficient knowledge rather than rushing into with huge some of money.
Exactly, if you have not maximum and sufficient knowledge about trading then it will difficult to survive in forex for a long period of time and you can lose money quickly.

How much to start with depends on a trader himself. Though its wise to start with a small sum so that the beginner doesnt lose money and get demotivated. Increase the sum gradually for best results.

What you can afford to lose is the simple answer. But I would say enough that you can practice good risk management.

Well depends on your goals .
No harm in starting of with a €100 account and using 0.01 to get the real feel of trading.
Demo first it's risk free

Be serious about trading.

Consider the total capital risk as a 100% loss, which represents absolute failure. A 100% loss in business is never acceptable. A business venture which could result in a 100% loss is a bad choice.

Treat each trade using your strategy exactly the same, exactly as seriously, whether the loss per trade would be £5 or £5,000.

A billionaire who funds a trading account with £500 but who is prepared to lose the whole £500 is a dumb-ass.

I am very pleased with such encouraging posts because recently I also thought that you need a lot of money to do something with stocks. This widespread opinion stretches back from our parents, who believe that only the elect can be rich, and if you were born poor, you would not get out of this poverty. I advise you to read a few articles on greedyrates.ca to dispel these thoughts finally. I issued a card there for my savings, and after a while, I will passively receive enough money not to work

Last edited: