Best Thread How To Make Money Trading The Markets.

There might still be some trading opportunities today despite the Obamania, so whilst others stare at their TV screens.........

You weren't wrong about that Richard..... Shame i don't trade the US (yet!)

So much for an Obama bounce, the old Maxim "Buy the rumour sell the fact" i guess

Hello Richard,

I hope you don't mind but I've sent you an email covering a number of questions which have occurred to me whilst reading this thread. If you get a spare moment to reply, I'd be most grateful.....

Kind Regards,

Chorlton

foredog,
Yes, financials were no brainers, especially STT which produced a gain of $1.23 per share in the first few minutes :)

chorlton,
I'll have a look at your email when time permits - I've got a lot to do at the moment, but won't forget.
Richard

chorlton,
I have already said in post 208 that I will look at your email. I wouldn't have said that if I hadn't received it. You have asked a long list of detailed questions, some of which are far beyond the scope of this thread. I'll answer what I can when I can. I have other things to do, including helping someone with a live session this afternoon and most especially trading myself for my living.
I do not read PMs for the reasons I gave early in this thread, only emails. There are still a growing list of unread PMs.............
Richard

chorlton,
I have already said in post 208 that I will look at your email. I wouldn't have said that if I hadn't received it.

Sorry Richard.... I didn't mean any offence by my last post. If that was how it was intepreted then please accept my apologies.....

I fully understand how busy you are and given your commitments I'm grateful for a reply whenever you have the time....

Kindest Regards.........

. . . I'll answer what I can when I can. I have other things to do, including helping someone with a live session this afternoon and most especially trading myself for my living.
I do not read PMs for the reasons I gave early in this thread, only emails. There are still a growing list of unread PMs.............
Hi Richard,
It sounds to me as if you need a secretary; someone who has a reasonable understanding of the U.S. equity market as well as a good grounding in your style of trading and methodology. I shall send you a PM with my CV attached. Sorry, I mean e-mail, silly me!
:cheesy:
Tim.

I actually find this thread quite amusing.... After months and months of looking at trading 'systems' with moving averages, stochastics, MACD's, rsi, all with different settings, waiting for lines to cross and certain candlestick formations to ocurr, then some guy comes along and basically says buy when you see some green candles and sell when you see some red candles! And thats it... or am I missing something? Bloody makes sense though doesn't it! Something is going down sell it, going up buy it! Love it!

Richard, do you think this strategy could be used successfully with spread betting or would the spreads spoil it seeing as your only "taking small chunks"? Also, I know you don't like repeating yourself, but can you clarify - you don't wait for a certain number of candles to form before you enter? Does the moving average in your images come into play at all? If so what period is it? I might give this a go tomorrow. Thanks,

Sam.

Chorlton,
Of course no offence taken !
I guess you assumed the next post about PMs referred to you, it didn't. I then thought maybe you didn't remember whether you'd sent a PM or an email, but then thought you'd know because a PM would have been in your PM outbox. Then I thought maybe you'd missed my post about looking at your email, so you had me foxed ! :)

Timsk,
:)
It's a pity you live so far away !

Sam,
I've just got in and will answer tomorrow

Richard

Actually, I'll reply now, Sam

"then some guy comes along and basically says buy when you see some green candles and sell when you see some red candles! And thats it... or am I missing something? Bloody makes sense though doesn't it! Something is going down sell it, going up buy it! "

No, I am not saying that. I think you are thinking of someone called therumpledone :)
You'd have to read the posts in detail to see that that quote is not what I am saying at all.

The number of successive candles is not significant (other than in a long run which gets more likely to reverse). It varies in the examples simply depending on when I spotted the stock. Sometimes I see them right at the beginning, sometimes later depending on when I scan and if I'm in another stock or whatever.

It certainly works with spreadbetting but isn't as profitable for the usual reasons of spread and some firms cheating you. Still profitable though.

The MA is present for a different reason which I won't go into because the mods would censure or ban me. No, you would never guess the reason why I say that !

It's a 10 period ema, by the way.

Hope that helps,
Richard

Here is another from y'day.
Red cross hairs on entry, image taken at time of exit. Reason for exit before high of previous candle exceeded was level 2 and T&S telling me selling strength abating and buying coming in.
+84c per share.
Remember they are not all profitable, but you have a clearly defined maximum risk as described earlier in the thread. And most do work.
I do get emails asking me questions I've already answered earlier in the thread, to which - RTF Thread :cool:
As in "RTFM"...............

And no, USB is not a USB key...........:LOL:

Richard

Attachments

• 210109USB.GIF
    210109USB.GIF
    23.4 KB · Views: 440
And for the two people who have emailed complaining the images are too small to see.....try clicking on them..........

Do you really want to deal with that sort of contact, Timsk ? :) :) :)

Do you really want to deal with that sort of contact, Timsk ? :) :) :)
Hi Richard,
Let's open negotiations. Here's the deal: you forward all these people to me and, within, say 12 hours, I'll e-mail you with a reply. You can O.K. it and forward it yourself or get back to me and I'll reply on your behalf - having made any changes that are necessary. Oh, you want to know my fee? Let's start with a ball park figure - how about 1% of your profits? (I could scrape by on £27k a year)
;)
Tim.

Actually, I'll reply now, Sam

"then some guy comes along and basically says buy when you see some green candles and sell when you see some red candles! And thats it... or am I missing something? Bloody makes sense though doesn't it! Something is going down sell it, going up buy it! "

No, I am not saying that. I think you are thinking of someone called therumpledone :)
You'd have to read the posts in detail to see that that quote is not what I am saying at all.

The number of successive candles is not significant (other than in a long run which gets more likely to reverse). It varies in the examples simply depending on when I spotted the stock. Sometimes I see them right at the beginning, sometimes later depending on when I scan and if I'm in another stock or whatever.

It certainly works with spreadbetting but isn't as profitable for the usual reasons of spread and some firms cheating you. Still profitable though.

The MA is present for a different reason which I won't go into because the mods would censure or ban me. No, you would never guess the reason why I say that !

It's a 10 period ema, by the way.

Hope that helps,
Richard

Hi Richard,

I was not quoting you, I was just exaggerating to make my point that after months of looking at and testing really complicated "systems", the simplicity of yours is rather refreshing!

When you scan do you just look for a stock that is trending strongly? Oh and no I can't guess the reason the mods would ban you for saying why your MA is there... But I am very intreauged now!

Thanks,

Sam.

Yes, I do look for a strongly trending stock for this particular set up - there are several other set ups I use - beyond the scope of this thread. You can usually find them even on choppy days - this is one of the great advantages of US stocks - huge universe of potential candidates, unlike FX, futures etc.
Richard

Hiya Tim,
You would get bored and very annoyed. I've even had emails asking for answers I've already given on the thread - usually accompanied by a comment like, "there are too many pages to read so can't you save me the time".......
I've decided to simply ignore those - goes against the grain, but hey, saves employing you :) :) :)
Enjoy the weekend,
Richard