Hobbies & interests outside of trading?

Pat494

Legendary member
Aaaaah it is the weekend again. My it comes around so fast it can make a fellas head spin.

Mostly on this forum the main interest is trading BUT what do you guys get up to when relaxing ? Especially at weekends.
A good book perhaps ?

Aaaaah it is the weekend again. My it comes around so fast it can make a fellas head spin.

Mostly on this forum the main interest is trading BUT what do you guys get up to when relaxing ? Especially at weekends.
A good book perhaps ?

Remoaner baiting mostly. Always good for a laugh and guaranteed a rise.

I find growing fruit and veg is very good to eat and satisfying for lowering the stress levels.

Woodwork. I'm building some decking in my garden atm. I've have built furniture, I had a thing for oak tables a few years ago and made a few for family and friends. The price I paid for the Oak was the same as the finished goods you can buy online - so it was never going to be commercial success. Here's a coffee table I made for my brother...

Attachments

• stu's coffee table 004 resize.jpg
    stu's coffee table 004 resize.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 548
Woodwork. I'm building some decking in my garden atm. I've have built furniture, I had a thing for oak tables a few years ago and made a few for family and friends. The price I paid for the Oak was the same as the finished goods you can buy online - so it was never going to be commercial success. Here's a coffee table I made for my brother...

I'm a big fan of youtube and while away the hrs looking at all kinds of wacky stuff.

This might be up your street.

I'm currently ploughing through these vids where a couple of lads decided to build a large boat from scratch.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAiDWnTP0WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

I work 6 days a week most weeks, so regardless of what day my off day lands, it's my weekend.

I'm largely an introvert and since I spend my working days being around people, I like to spend my down time alone. I find it very relaxing. It charges my batteries.

I like to develop myself both personally and professionally, so I do a lot of coffee drinking and thinking (& peeing) Personally I like to people watch... it helps my thought process. I know this sounds a little contradictory as I said I like to be alone. Alone in a crowd is ok... mostly :)

Thankfully, I love a challenge. This means that trying to understand the market is actually an exciting hobby for me as well as doubling up as potential professional prospects. I normally just read articles and seek answers here but lately I've been listening to audio books on trading/Investing.

I love learning new things in general. The list of things I have no interest in is surely much shorter than the list of things I do. Especially if it's something that makes me better.

Did you know... a breastfeeding mother's body can detect certain issues with the baby - presumably as a result of back wash back into the nipple - and it develops antibodies which then get passed to the baby through the altered breast milk.

Or... that a man's testosterone levels decline when he gets into a long term relationship, and when he had kids...
Conversely, if he becomes single again, even in later life, his levels rise again...

Do with that as you will :)

Ps: Beyond that, I like to play darts, go hunting and fishing :)

I'm a big fan of youtube and while away the hrs looking at all kinds of wacky stuff.

I'm currently ploughing through these vids where a couple of lads decided to build a large boat from scratch.

Yeah, I love Youtube too. My favourite woodworker is Matthias Wandel because he actually designs and builds his own woodworking machinery! Thanks for the link, those boat builders certainly take it to another level, all those compound angles and curves would drive me mad!

Il definitely watch those boat builders. I have a few channels I like on YouTube. This might join the list.

today i was programming some scalping indicators i am working on ......it actually relaxes me ....sad but true .....

i actually enjoy trading and all that comes with it ......sure i go to the gym and watch a bit of brainless tv at times .....and avoid going shopping with the wife .....

but generally i’m a trader most of the time .....it’s never far away from my thoughts ....

c’mon guys ....all you serious traders reading this ....you know it’s always just 1 heartbeat away from any other things or thoughts you are having ....

you can kid yourselves and tell everyone to have a life outside of trading ....i know that’s what i tell people ......

but i’ve been doing this for so many years it’s wierd not to think about it for any length of time

N

Recently I have spent a lot of time thinking up better trading systems to get computerised. Of course the bottom line is to make profits. Systems are 2 a penny but to actually consistently make profits ? That is hard.

I have been testing my third system that has been coded up. It has had some success - doubling my account balance in a month BUT it has a downside of residual losses which are mounting up.
If I put in a stop loss then it is hard to show profits. If I keep the losing trades open over night I am due the swap charges. Not big but they are adding up. I am considering closing all open trades at the end of the day. What do you think ?

Talking of U tube it is fun to look at the perpetual motion machines that people have dreamt up. I know it is meant to be impossible. Some of them look convincing but I suppose there is a trick in it somewhere. A small hidden motor maybe ?

Recently I have spent a lot of time thinking up better trading systems to get computerised. Of course the bottom line is to make profits. Systems are 2 a penny but to actually consistently make profits ? That is hard.

I have been testing my third system that has been coded up. It has had some success - doubling my account balance in a month BUT it has a downside of residual losses which are mounting up.
If I put in a stop loss then it is hard to show profits. If I keep the losing trades open over night I am due the swap charges. Not big but they are adding up. I am considering closing all open trades at the end of the day. What do you think ?

Just for losing trades? Wouldn’t that be the same as operating a stop loss unless you re-opened them the next day - which would be uncomfortable as well as costing you the spread and likely to be affected by opening gaps?

Just for losing trades? Wouldn’t that be the same as operating a stop loss unless you re-opened them the next day - which would be uncomfortable as well as costing you the spread and likely to be affected by opening gaps?

I am using ( in desperation ) a limited martingale system of 7 iterations.
It was every 200 points but there were too many trades. So I have made it every 2000 points.
Yeah I know martingale is dangerous but unfortunately necessary.

Last Spring, my wife and I moved into a 60s bungalow which hasn't had much done to it since it was built and is in dire need of serious renovation. We're doing as much of the work ourselves as we can - so that's me taken care of for the next couple of years!

When the build finishes, I hope to return to making mosaics. Between now and then, I occasionally get out to the fabulous Devon coast for some lure fishing. I'm not very good at it but, as any recreational angler will tell you, there's more to fishing than catching fish. Just as well in my case! Other than that, in line with a number of you here, I'm pretty addicted to YouTube. Categories I watch mostly are music (blues artists Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart are current favourites), loads of DIY vid's of course, Brexit related stuff and, lastly, some comedy to lighten the mood.
Tim.

I really like to get away from the screens at the weekends, usually out cycling... blows the cobwebs away....

That and walking the dog.. and drinking beer...

Re the Youtube stuff, I like Joe Rogan, some interesting interviews.

Also Jordan Petersen.

Trouble with Youtube though... you can easily end up sitting there watching stuff half the day, when you actually wanted to get outdoors for a while..

I really like to get away from the screens at the weekends, usually out cycling... blows the cobwebs away....

That and walking the dog.. and drinking beer...

Re the Youtube stuff, I like Joe Rogan, some interesting interviews.

Also Jordan Petersen.

Trouble with Youtube though... you can easily end up sitting there watching stuff half the day, when you actually wanted to get outdoors for a while..

Two of my favourite Youtubers atm! but you're right, there can too much of a good thing...

Huge fan of Joe Rogan!
He has a wide array of people on it and most of the time will call people on any bs.
He's got some pretty funny ones too such as Theo Von and Joey Diaz.

One of his best podcasts was with CJ Fletcher! Made me think quite deeply about something that had been eating me.
Also has a MMA podcast too which I love, being a MMA fan myself.

I've heard of that Peterson guy but not tried it out yet but will soon.

".......Last Spring, my wife and I moved into a 60s bungalow which hasn't had much done to it since it was built and is in dire need of serious renovation. We're doing as much of the work ourselves as we can - so that's me taken care of for the next couple of years! .............

Tim.

What are you doing wasting time posting here then! Get back to work, man.